Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-21-2007, 12:30 AM   #1  
Just Do It!

Default Metabolism- anyone know how to maximize it?

I'm wondering if anybody knows about how to maximize your metabolism, and how few calories one can consume while keeping it as high as possible. I'm working out like a horse, and eating small frequent meals, lots of carbs and protein and about 10g fat per day (about 1000 - 1400 cals a day) but something seems to be not working!! I read somewheres that if you lower fat too much your metabolism gets sluggish... any clarification would be awesome!!
chimichanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:43 AM   #2  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

lily, the original poster may have gone by kilograms (since she's in Sydney, and U.S. is pretty much the odd ball out with our crazy measurement system) and not pounds -- so roughly that's about 284 pounds current & 176 as goal (and yes, I was freaked out when I initially saw her posted numbers too).

But to answer the OP's question, I (and i'm sure many other 3FCers would agree) wouldn't advise going lower than 1,200 calories a day ~ and your diet may not be working because your body think it's starving and trying even harder to cling on to the fat it does have. Try to up your calories a bit more (1,600-1,800), and continue keeping your meals helpful (whole grains, lots of fibers, good lean protein, reduce fats/refined carbs when possible)

As for metabolism boosting, what workouts are you doing? For me personally, a combination of cardio & weights do the trick. The former revs up your heart & metabolic rates (which lasts for hours after workout) and the latter builds muscles, which burn more calories than fatty tissues.
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:46 AM   #3  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Thanks Aqua, I looked under her sig. and I think you are right, so I deleted my post. I think the goal is 80 kg. instead of 80 lbs. That had me worried.

Last edited by lilybelle; 02-21-2007 at 02:51 AM.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:05 AM   #4  

I had the same problem! (started at 142kG, stuck at 128) Okay I'm not exactly way past it now, but eat larger breakfasts! Aquawarlock is right, I'm starting to get results from eating larger breakfasts and replacing the masses of fruit and veg I was eating during the day (not completely!) with low fat normal food like grilled chicken and pita bread rather than fruit salad for example.
Chrizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:09 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I'm a huge believer in protein. Small frequent meals with a protein and carb together every 2.5 or 3 hours. Your body actually has to work to digest that food. Put some in for it to work on.

And muscle mass ... build muscle which uses more calories for everything than fat does.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:13 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I'm a believer in healthy fats - 10 grams a day isn't very much. I try to get at least 20-25% of my daily calories from healthy fats - nuts, nut butters, olive oil, salmon, avocado. I've never heard of a metabolism getting sluggish due to low fat, but in college, I did a low fat diet and my hair fell out by the handful in the shower. I also didn't have my period that month and I have had very regular cycles my entire life. Obviously, the low fat diet affected me negatively. (different people may have different experiences).

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fat/NU00262
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:37 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I like fiber, gives a boost to the metabolisim, keeps you full longer. You burn lots of calories just digesting fiber. It's good stuff. I also think one shouldn't skip breakfast and eat small frequent meals, like already said, get that metabolism moving. I like to vary my calories from day to day, never let it get too comfortable and keep it guessing.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:45 PM   #8  
Constantly Tweaking

S/C/G: 172/159/130

Height: 5'2" (give or take)

Hi, I read something on here (a different thread) and also on another website about not eating the same amount of calories every day. Eat 1400 one day, 1650 the next day, 1350 the following day, etc. It's called zig-zagging and it's suppose to keep your body from getting into that comfort zone so it is constantly trying to guess what's going on and burning calories. I'd never, ever eat below 1200 calories (actually for me I can't do below 1400; I just get too hungry!) Eating every 2-3 hrs. is also great; combine good protein and carbs for this. I agreee w/AW about the exercise. Variety is crucial too. Always change things ups; try different things. If you get into a routine, your body does too and it works more efficiantly and won't burn the calories. Keep it guessing all the time. You could try more intense cardio once or twice a week to rev things up.

Jo
Is that really me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:59 PM   #9  
Just Do It!

Hey dudes,
Sorry haven't replied, your day is my night so I always miss out when the replies come floating in.... sorry bout that.

Also, yes its kgs!!! I am aiming for the 170lb mark, so I think that is pretty healthy for me, being quite a tall / large framed person to begin with...

Thank you so much for all your responses!!! The general gist of what you all said to me (tell me if this is right) is: Eat more protein, and fibre, and up my good fats, and upping the strength training should do it- eat around 1600 cals a day, but "zig zag" to keep your body guessing.

Is that really me - thank you for posting that, i've heard it too but I'm not sure how high is too high?!!! I'm sure I'll overdo it and slink back to my former chimichanga gobbling habits...

rockinrobin - how you doing?? you always post kind helpful things, so thank you!! the thought of fibre kind of freaks me as my tummy has lots of troubles as is... but I will give it a shot. What fibrous things do you eat?

glory87 - thanks for postin! hehe good fats are all nice and good but if you eat too much they can be fattening aye? My problem is overestimating how much I should eat!!! can u give me an example quantity a normal daily allowance of good fats would be. (like half avocado, tbs nuts, tbs olive oil) cause I'm totally clueless.

Susan B - Thanks for postin aye. Would you recommend those protein powders at all? I'm thinking about it... cause I don't like eating too much meat / tuna... maybe I'll research other proteiny food items!!

Chrizzy- Thank you!!!! Its reassuring to hear someone in the same derned spot as me got over that hump and kept going!!! well done girl. have bigger brekkie? RIGHT ON!!! did that really help you? Also, i'm a bit confused. How is chicken better than a fruit salad? sorry i guess I'm pretty clueless... thanks for ur help aye.

AquaWarlock - thanks for your very informative post... yes I am doing a combo too- I'm doing as many different things as I can manage with at least 30min cardio too. I will try to eat more good calories!! Maybe that will help. I will keep you posted!!
chimichanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:38 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Yes, I use protein powder. I have a shake almost everyday.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote