Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-20-2007, 12:51 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Unhappy Now he's upset with me because he miscalculated Lent!

As many of you know, I'm giving up beef and pork (anything that moves on 4 legs) for Lent. I did beef last year. It was a difficult struggle and a challenge to my inner strength. I decided to give up more this year. I feel that by doing this, it makes my desire to make this weight-loss journey work. It helps me to add another resolve in my life. If I can give it up for Lent, why not continue with a better eating habit?

Anyway, he counted 40 days from Easter. That would make Lent start on the 28th. I kept telling him it will start on the 21st. Sunday's are not counted. He'd made plans to take me out to a steakhouse for dinner on Wednesday. I told him that we could still go. I don't need to order steak. He's all upset with me because I won't eat steak at a steakhouse. What's the big deal? We've gone to fish places and he orders steak.

It's not my fault that he wouldn't listen, pay attention blah blah blah!

Now I have to put up with his crappy attitude!

Sabbotage! It's sabbotage!

I want a divorce.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:04 PM   #2  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
He's all upset with me because I won't eat steak at a steakhouse .
That seems like a silly thing for him to be all upset about! Sheesh!
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:57 PM   #3  
Atkins Chick

S/C/G: highest234/ticker/130

Height: 5' 2 1/2" the 1/2 matters!

Geez, men and their meat.

He should be proud of you being able to turn down steak from a steakhouse. That's hard to due, and for Lent non the less.

My brother actually used to gripe at my SIL about not ordering steak when they'd go to a steakhouse, so she finally ordered one and put ketchup all over it. It shut him up.
problysewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:01 PM   #4  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

lol... we always had godawful steak growing up and then cooked til it resembled shoe leather. The only way I could eat steak was to dip it in ranch dressing. The first time I did that around dh he almost fainted. Then he introduced me to filet mignon medium rare. ahhhhhhh

But we went to outback steakhouse for valentines day and I ordered chicken, just wasnt in a steak mood.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:29 PM   #5  
prepare for the BEST time

poor DH, they are such simple creatures.........

here's an easy solution....order surf and turf...........don't eat the steak, bring it home for him...

or save the steakhouse dinner for after holiday, go out for some other specialty dinner....japanese?
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:56 PM   #6  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbleflys View Post
poor DH, they are such simple creatures.........

here's an easy solution....order surf and turf...........don't eat the steak, bring it home for him...

or save the steakhouse dinner for after holiday, go out for some other specialty dinner....japanese?
I even suggested that we go out tonight instead. I don't know why he can't change it by one day! A friend wants us to go there sometime because the chef/owner is one of his good friends.

I think he is going to agree to put it off until after Lent.

I'd been suggesting this place for the last several months. He'd been wanting to go there but always pooh pooed it. I'm not going to let him let this escalate.

- He'd wanted to go but kept saying no when I suggested it.

- He miscalculated Lent. Never mind that the dates were in the paper, online and everywhere else.

He's just being a little boy. If I didn't think he'd like it so much, I'd give him a spanking.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:58 PM   #7  
mostly harmless

So, what are you giving up? Just Beef and Pork? Or really anything that moves on 4 legs? Alligator? Rabbit?

Are snakes OK? Would a 3 legged cow be OK? Is it just mammals you are avoiding? Or could you eat an oppossom if you wanted to? How about Kangaroos? They move around on 2 legs.... AND aren't mammals....

How about frog legs? I saw some in the store just the other day. Are they disqualified by having 4 feet, even though they mostly swim?

Or is it just about giving up things you regularly eat? Can you eat weird things you don't normally eat?

Sorry, my imagination ran away with me there.... I am curious, though. What exactly are the rules you've imposed on yourself?
MariaOfColumbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:01 PM   #8  
prepare for the BEST time

I thought she would be eating fish, chicken and turkey...
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:14 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

No offense, but I think it's cute when married couples bicker.

I'm sorry he's being such a baby about it, but you do have to admit... it is quite the silly situation. Taking a step outside the situation and looking in is sometimes really helpful to put things into perspective. Okay, you're husband didn't listen, you're right, (stifle that grin, missy!) but your husband cares about you and is trying to give you a wonderful night. Maybe he's upset because he feels like you're not going to have fun or enjoy yourself because you can't eat any steak. Tell him that if you like the resturaunt, you guys can go there after lent and THEN you'll have steak. He can just... taste test the steak for you, lol. I think one of the most important part of our journey is to learn to not let food control our lives. Don't let a little bit of beef ruin what could be a lovely night out with the love of your life.

Good luck, hun. I hope that you guys can work things out.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:03 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Bah, go after Lent and still order the fish. Order what you want, when you want. I don't let people influence my food choices anymore, I'm not sure why food is so wrapped up in love, companionship, social events, family. I eat for ME and for MY goals - if anyone doesn't like it, that's tough.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:08 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 150/148/120

Height: 5'2"

Men can never be wrong. If they realize they are, they fight and fight until we cave in and "let them" be right. I'd just joke about it with him and tell him he's such a big baby. My boyfriend does it all the time...he can't stand it if I'm right!
LaBonita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:12 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 190/166.8/160

Height: 5'10

I see divorce as the best possible solution.

That'll learn him.
AmberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:47 PM   #13  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

My boyfriend is like this too. He gets upset because he thinks he is doing something nice, but I am not intrested - so it hurts his feelings.

Maybe some of you want to join our 40 day lent challenge http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105082

I am giving up articial sweenters and I am counting sundays! no day offs for me
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:06 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

My bf used to think that us having pizza for dinner was something special for me, and that getting it for me showed love. I don't get it. He's coming around, he went out the other day to Costco (not a close trip) to buy me a HUGE bag of broccoli that I wanted but couldn't find on weekends. Turns out they only have it on weekdays.. go figure. That was part of my valentines day gift, I loved it because it was so thoughtful and creative.

I know we have to deal with certain things with being in a relationship, but I'd go crazy if my bf pulled that! I agree with Glory - eat what you want when you want it because it's your choice what you put into your body, not anyone elses. Which I suppose is how lots of us get overweight - eating stuff we don't REALLY want to because someone insists.

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:38 PM   #15  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotypical View Post
My boyfriend is like this too. He gets upset because he thinks he is doing something nice, but I am not intrested - so it hurts his feelings.

Maybe some of you want to join our 40 day lent challenge http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105082

I am giving up articial sweenters and I am counting sundays! no day offs for me
yeah...dh gave "me" a laptop computer for Xmas. The only time I get on a computer I am nursing or holding the baby...ummmm laptops dont work for that. Besides, I have a perfectly good desktop and have never liked laptops and he knows I hate computer gifts. He bought it for HIM and was mad because I am not thrilled with the present.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote