Old 02-19-2007, 09:19 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 325 / see ticker / 150

Height: 5'4"

Default How many here have read

How many in this forum have read the "You: on a diet" book by Dr. Oz and Dr. Roizen? (I know there is a thread in another forum but wanted to see in this forum how many there are).

I got this book for my b-day(a friend asked what I wanted and I told her that I wanted this book) and so far it's a great book. I am about 2 thirds of the way through it. It makes such total sense about everything.

So if you have read it or are reading it, what are you thoughts?
KnCmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:26 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I read it. I liked that it actually discussed bodily functions and how our eating and exercise affects us. I also liked the idea of eating soup before meals to help fill you up.

Other than that, I really thought it was a hyped up book. There were some suggestions in there that I didn't like. One suggestion that I really didn't like was if you hit a plateau, you should go to your doctor and get diet pills. I was like what kind of advice is that? Considering diet pills can be dangerous and really a plateau means you need to shake up your diet and eating plan a bit because your body is becoming efficient. There were a couple other things that rubbed me wrong with the book but as with anything, take the advice that seems sensible, verify anything you aren't sure about and ignore the rest.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:30 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 325 / see ticker / 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
One suggestion that I really didn't like was if you hit a plateau, you should go to your doctor and get diet pills. I was like what kind of advice is that? Considering diet pills can be dangerous and really a plateau means you need to shake up your diet and eating plan a bit because your body is becoming efficient.
OMG, I don't remember reading that part. I do remember it saying something about that you have to change what you are doing a bit, like adding a bit more exercise or bumping it up a bit. What the part with the diet pills about Z-trim because I do remember reading something about Z-trim....I am not one that will take diet pills though...I'd much rather do it naturally.
KnCmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:52 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

That part is at the end of the book, and MY take on it is that IF you are at a plateau and you are still struggling after changing things - do not feel bad if that is something you feel you need to do. Like, Nelie, take what advice will help you on your journey and leave the rest behind! (although there was a LOT in there that helps me!)

I have read the book, and that is one of the reasons that everything "clicked" for me - reading it in a language that made sense.....and explaining what our bodies do - I am into week 8 now and I LOVE it. I've lost 25 pounds and 10" off my waist in the 7 weeks since I have changed my life.
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I just finished reading it. Not that much new information (especially after you watched him on Oprah), but some interesting recipes and exercises to try. I was a bit put off by the writing style, and all those factoids were distracting. Interesting sometimes, but distracting. I like the idea of not focusing on the scale, but focusing on your waist measurement,--kind of like the pants-o-meter theory.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

I hadn't seen him before I read the book - but I sure try to watch for when he is on now. I also want to get the YOU the Owners Manual to read too. I am now reading it for the 2nd time - the style is a bit distracting, but that is ok - I never paid any attention to the reasons why I was fat before - and having the information as to what our bodies do was an eye opener for me. I have several friends who have now got the book and are benefiting from it too. I NEVER realized that cutting the sugars out would help you NOT crave them - and I was amazed when (after trying it) it WORKED!

As with anything, read it, take what helps you out of it and keep on your journey. I just know that without reading it, I wouldn't be on track as much as I am now.
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:08 PM   #7  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Quadcrew View Post
I also want to get the YOU the Owners Manual to read too.......... I NEVER realized that cutting the sugars out would help you NOT crave them - and I was amazed when (after trying it) it WORKED!
I read YOU The Owners Manual a couple of years ago and I love it...so practical and full of really good info. I've not read their diet book as I know how to eat right and diet from my studies and work in the health field. My problem has always been putting feet to the knowledge!

One of the things that Southbeach has done for me (in addition to actually making the scales move down!) is to help me break my sugar addiction. Even though I've not been eating on-plan, the desire for sugary foods is truly gone and I have no desire to pigout on those foods!

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 02-20-2007 at 12:34 PM.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 224/187/135

Height: 5'8"

I have read both the books. I love both of them. As far as the diet pills, in the end of the book the docs talk about diet pills, surgery and lipo and other things. They do not suggest that you should take diet pill or have surgery or have lipo. They also say not to take over the counter medications but prescribed medicines. They bring those into the picture for alternatives and also state that these things are not, I repeat not for everybody. They want you to have some knowledge to bring up alternatives if you plateau and want to take prescribed meds with your doctors approval.

I never knew many of the things I read.In the 6 weeks after finishing the books I have lost 12 lbs. I will never go back to my obese self because I now
know how my body works and why it holds onto fat.
sharonrr is offline   Reply With Quote