Old 02-19-2007, 09:51 AM   #1  
Southside White Sox Fan

Default Core Weekly Chat Thread for February 19-25, 2007

Hey Chicks! Here's a new place to record all of our trials, tribulations, and triumphs.

Triumph away!!!
Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:55 AM   #2  
Southside White Sox Fan

Good Morning Chicks!

Kathy, I wish I had some great advice for how you are feeling. Maybe some of your new medicine is making you feel this way?

I was going to run all of my errands today but decided I don't want to do them with everyone else. I forgot this was aholiday. So, chores at home today and running tomorrow. I'll still be busy. I just started some more laundry.

Talk to you all later today.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:25 AM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

I finally dragged out and made it here, kicking and screaming (at myself) the whole way. I don't know what's going on.

Sandra, another question. I think I'm on question 4 of approx. 10,000 that I plan on asking. Is 25# too light? I found one that I'm looking at. I think I'm going to sell my 20 ga. and when I want to shoot a shotgun, I'll shoot the 12 ga. with a lighter load. Anyway, back to the bow. Is PSE an okay place to buy from? They have some (Heritage, I think) that seem okay. Actually, the one I really liked from there started at 40# so that's out. I know that it's probably way inferior to the professional ones you guys use, but as a starter I think it should do. I also liked the Martin X-200 but it starts at 45#. Bear looked too plain and Predator costs too much. AARRGGH! This is driving me crazy! Anyway, if you can recommend something, I'll be going this weekend to a few places.

I guess I'd better pretend to work for a while. Be back in a bit...
Katpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:37 AM   #4  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Just checked the calendar - Happy President's Day - so is this a day off of work! Lucky you!

Still bitter cold here and I am still coughing and honking a bit - half the office out sick with either a cold or stomach flu!

Found a present on my desk today - a lovely PINK purse thing (by Elle) which is really an insulated lunch bag - so very cute - and inside is a waterproof camera!!!!!!!! I knew right away it was from former cruise buddy Andrea (we never even got to use the underwater camera) - she is so sweet! I love my new lunch bag and hopefully will be able to snap some lovely pics of very colorful fishies while I am snorkelling the beautiful blue caribbean waters!

I am on my own with little ds tonight - dh going jamming - dd dancing (7-9 pm) and as big ds is enjoying the beach in the dominican republic right now I will be hanging out w/ds until time to pick up dd! Not sure what to do - may go home or do the mall walk - or maybe a movie if timing is right?

Had late breakfast at work (like 10:30 am) so won't be hungry at lunchtime?? (altho I was ravenous this morning) - need to control that eating so I don't sink the ship - ha ha ha

Froufie

Last edited by Froufy; 02-20-2007 at 09:47 AM.
Froufy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 12:35 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froufy View Post
Just checked the calendar - Happy President's Day - so is this a day off of work! Lucky you!
Uh, no. I'm even military contracts and don't have the day off. Seems like maybe school kids, garbage collectors and bank workers are the ones around here. For everybody else, it's a regular ol' (yucky) Monday.

What a cool gift!!
Old 02-19-2007, 03:34 PM   #6  
Donna

Happy Monday All!

Well I did pretty well when we went out, we had smoked salmon for an appetizer and then I had slow roasted duck with garlic mashed potatoes and steamed veggies for dinner. If we ignore the wine it was a good meal.

Today I'm feeling icky. Can you catch a cold listening to others talk about it? Actually it's just an ear ache, I was up a bunch in the night because it hurt so bad, but now it's just plugged and a dull ache which along with the lack of sleep is making me feel woo-woo.

We made an excellent braised cod and clam dinner last night. It was the first time I'd cooked whole shelled clams and I was a little nervous, but it was really good. Tonight I'm on my own DH has some work thing that includes dinner, so I'm going to have left over stuffed peppers.

Kathy - I think you forgot postal carriers....and around here the garbage men work. Hope you're feeling better.

Frouf - I hate to iron too. DH does mine if it has to be done, he does a much better job anyway. When I was traveling a lot for work I bought a travel steamer to take out the wrinkles from packing, I found it much easier than ironing.

Coco - I have dr. Phil's book but haven't read it all the way either. As you can tell from my posts, we all get discouraged, hang in there.

Vickie - I have lost a lot of inches, they do measurements @ Curves monthly, but that's slowed down a bit too. I'm just gonna hang in there. I'm gonna have to try that stroganoff. I'm not a big protein fan so if it's drowned in creamy veggie sauce its way better.

Sandra - did you like "Cars"? I bought it for dh when it came out on DVD and really enjoyed it. (He of course loved it cartoons and cars his 2 favorite things).

Rhonda - I'm pretty surprised about the lettuce to, but at least they gave it to you to take home. Last fall we ordered pizza and when it came late it was because they ran out of cheese. Tell me how a pizza place runs out of cheese?????

Well I should probably get something constructive done. It's supposed to get above freezing for the first time in a month. It feels like a heat wave and it's only 30 .

-Tech/Donna
TechAlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:08 PM   #7  

Donna, you're right. We got no mail today but the garbage WAS picked up. I had put it out, then heard on the radio that there was no garbage collection. When I got home, I was surprised to see that it had been emptied, so I guess they weren't talking about our little town on the radio. Must have been Dallas or Fort Worth or one of the other big ones.

I finally left work around 1:00 or so. My stomach was killing me all morning, ever since eating my oatmeal this morning. It was cramping and I had chills then would get hot, then feel dizzy. I figured I'd better go home, so as soon as I got here I put on my PJs and climbed in the bed. I am feeling very out of sorts.

I had been emailing and calling Kate and never got her; finally figured out she's probably off today since she works for a bank. It's not IN a bank, but in the big customer service center. Still, I'll bet she's off.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:34 PM   #8  
Southside White Sox Fan

I posted on the general board about the problems I was having with the site. Suzanne made some adjustments and the site seems back to normal now for me. I hope it's better for all of you now too.

BTW, after days and days of research we are sending back the laptop. It's too much to spend and I'm concerned about security. Now I feel better. I was feeling stressed about the whole issue.

I'm off to relax for the evening. Have a great one!
Old 02-19-2007, 08:38 PM   #9  

Evening Everyone
Well I weighed in tonight. And I gained another pound.
So I have got to get on the ball here.
I did dig out my Dr Phil book. But havent got it started. I did open it to the first page and put my bookmarker in it.
And the first thing that jumped out at me was this quote from Dr. Phil.
CHANGE CAN COME IN EITHER OF TWO IMPORTANT WAYS:
START BEHAVING POSITIVELY OR STOP BEHAVING NEGATIVELY.
So now to start reading the book.
Thanks for all the support you are giving me. You dont know how much this means to me. Thanks for always being here for me.
Well am going to get off here.
Just wanted to check in and let you know how I did.
So hopefully next week I will have a loss.
Everyone have a great evening
coco
coco99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:21 PM   #10  
Southside White Sox Fan

Coco, we can do this together.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:48 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

Hi All:

Well, finally, it is merely freezing now and the rest of the week isn't looking too bad compared to the last few weeks.

I did really well with food today, in terms of not eating much and staying on Core. I just had lf yogurt for a snack, and that is going to be it for the day. I haven't been too hungry and thought I'd take advantage of that feeling.

I'm turning in for the night, and hope everyone sleeps well

Rhonda
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:54 PM   #12  

Vickie, I'm sorry to hear that. Our network is locked and requires a password; nobody can access it. I'm sure you can do the same but understand if sending it back makes you less stressed.

I'm still in bed ... yes, from 1:30 this afternoon. My stomach doesn't feel any better and I'm wondering if it's maybe a touch of food poisoning. I still feel hot and cold and a little faint at times. I guess I'll see how it goes in the morning, but tomorrow is chocolate fountain day! If I miss that, I'll really be disappointed and so will the others who are looking forward to it. I'll have to take it another day this week as an added treat.

It seems as though it's been a little slow today, but at least I was able to get on the site. At work though, it's a different story. At first it wouldn't let me log in at all, then I cleared the cookies and was able to. Each page I access though I have to re-login and it's a bit weird.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:54 PM   #13  
focused and aiming

hi there. i trained for over 5 hours today. am i excited and pumped or what! curtis was with me the first 1.5. after that we came home for lunch then i went back by myself. the time to go to salt lake is getting near. tomorrow we'll train again. then tomorrow evening curtis and a buddy are going down to Victor, MT to watch a JOAD class. JOAD means junior olympic archery development. this class is run by a former student of curtis'. there are JOAD groups all around the u s. pretty neat to watch these youngsters flinging arrows. who knows? maybe one of them will be a gold medalist standing on the podium for us some day.

kathy, i just read your question and went downstairs to ask curtis what he thought. he said for you to draw the bow before you decide on purchasing it to make sure it's comfortable. don't let it be a "hassle" or struggle for you to draw. you won't have any fun if you get something too heavy. for a starter you might want something even as light as 20-25 lbs. 25 pounds is not too light. don't let men try to talk you into "heavy" equipment. you're not going to be shooting at long distances. most traditional shooters shoot from just a few feet to 25 yards at targets. remember--keep it fun. i don't know what you're planning to spend, but i'm thinking you could get an entry level recurve for around $100 or a little more. don't let anyone talk you into getting something you could "grow into." make sure it's comfortable for you to draw right now.

if for some reason, you wind up with a compound for some reason, make sure you get one that you can shoot on the low end of the draw weight range. make sure you have draw length adjustment.

you'll probably have more fun with a recurve. you can shoot this instinctively and not have to deal with high tech equipment.

girl, you could never ask me too many questions about archery or bows.

frouf, i feel your excitement. how sweet of andrea to get you the lunchbag and camera. you're a loved froufie for sure.

donna, we liked cars. lots of laughs for sure. thank you for starting the exercise recording thread. i need to get off here and hop on the

vickie, i wish i'd sent my dell back. i've had a lot of trouble from the beginning; plus, i don't like having to use only dell products.

coco, thank you for the dr. phil quote. i am in desperate need of

rhonda, out of lettuce! now that's a corker. they gave you some to take home? what a hoot! i'll bet ya'll still had a good time.

ohhhhhh, i need to get this old bod moving and i need to get my eating under control.
ontarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:13 PM   #14  

Thanks, Sandra! I do believe I might start with 25# and agree about not letting them shove me towards the "you'll grow into it" theory. The only thing bothering me right now is that the archery range is sorta around the corner and out of sight of the trap and skeet. I'd just be a little afraid of snakes and bobcats and stuff like that because it's sorta in a clearing in the woods. Of course, at first I won't be going by myself anyway so maybe I'll feel more comfortable than I imagine.

Cowtown Bowmen lost their range because when the current lease was up, the city was going to renew it at a cost of $104,000. Since it's a non-profit, there's no way that's an option. I'm still going to join their club too so I can go to the meetings and hopefully find someone to hook up with for instruction. And Saturday we're going to the Arlington shop to try a few out. I was thinking that I could find something for less than $200, so by you saying that I feel more comfortable. There's a PSE Recurve (Buckeye) that's right at $100 and by the time I added some accessories, I'd still be within my planned budget.

http://www.shootnhunt.com/catalog/JM...e/2721963.html

Okay, it's really bedtime now. I shouldn't be tired but I am.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:17 PM   #15  

P.S. I saw that there's a brand of strings called Horton????