Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-18-2007, 06:30 PM   #1  
Atkins Chick

S/C/G: highest234/ticker/130

Height: 5' 2 1/2" the 1/2 matters!

Default What is your favorite food right now?

I was wondering what everyone's favorite food is right now. I love all the different ideas everyone has for snacks and meals.

I have been really into peppers lately. Yellow, red and green. Also Mott's no sugar added peach flavored applesauce.

I've also switched from skim milk to 2% because it's not that big a difference in calories and to me it tastes sooo much better. I like a glass of milk with ice cubes in it.

I also like Hormel Turkey pepperoni right now. It's a good salty, spicy snack. 17 pepperonies have 80 calories. That's a lot of pepperoni.

Celery and peanut butter is one of my all-time faves.

So what's everyone else eating?
problysewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:05 PM   #2  
it's always something

I'm into hummus right now I make my own, and spread it on Kavli light crackers, for a low cal yet very satisfying snack.

I'm also loving butternut squash and spinach, though not together
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:07 PM   #3  
Meg

Right now my favorite treat is a thin sliced Cameo apple with a carefully measured tablespoon of natural PB. I'm an apple snob and it has to be really crunchy apple!

Suzanne, how do you make your hummus? I've been wondering if there's a way to cut down on the fat and calories?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:13 PM   #4  
MeoW

S/C/G: 275/215/160

Height: 5'7

string cheese has been a lifesaver for me, since i love love love cheese, and its already portion controlled for me

fat free sugar free pudding, love them

also frozen fruits, just take them out and let them thaw at room temp for 1/2 an hour and eat them partially frozen, yum-o
cupcake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 146/138/125

Height: 5'5

Natural peanut butter for sure, and eggs, I am on an egg kick now.
Goat cheese, right now i'm trying to stay away from cow dairy so goat cheese is my big thing right now.
Ash15+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Snack size light popcorn. I like that is takes me a while to eat it, and it makes me feel like i am getting a lot.

Light string cheese, like someone else said, is a wonderful lifesaver for me.

Sugar free hot apple cidar...warms my belly, makes me feel full, and counts as a water.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:15 PM   #7  
Committed Maintainer

S/C/G: 214/117.5/120

Height: 4'-11.75"

I LOVE Smucker's Organic Natural Peanut Butter and it is used on Saturdays for my treat meal of PBJ

My other new obsession...which is really not too great for you but not too horrible either...is McDonald's Fruit and Yogurt Parfait! These things are awesome.

I also love Kashi Original 7 grain crackers with Laughing Cow Cheese.

I love ANYTHING Kashi actually.

Oh, and Lay's Lightly salted chips are also a splurge for me...made with Sunflower oil they have only 1 gram of saturated fat and lots of Mono and Polys. They are completely natural and pretty dang low in sodium. But, on Saturdays it is the PBJ on Whole White Bread (Made with whole wheat but white) and these chips. The jelly is Polander all fruit. It is a high fat, calorie meal but it is what gets me through the week.
Christina7806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:16 PM   #8  

Cupcake--I have been wanting to try the frozen fruit. How does the taste compare to fresh? Are the berries sweet, etc? Also, why does it need to be eaten partially frozen? Does it get mushy if it thaws totally? It is crunchy partially frozen? Sorry for all the questions! I've been dying to try it, but have been too scared to spend the money on it and waste it.
sophia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:37 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 275/137/140

Height: 5'7"

I've been on a major sweet potato kick lately - must be the lousy winter weather, but it feels like such a great comfort food. I love to just bake one and eat it with a little (very little) butter and brown sugar. I also made an awesome soup, and I've been thinking about roasting them as wedges in the oven, although I haven't gotten around to it yet.
WindyCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:01 AM   #10  
MeoW

S/C/G: 275/215/160

Height: 5'7

Cupcake--I have been wanting to try the frozen fruit. How does the taste compare to fresh? Are the berries sweet, etc? Also, why does it need to be eaten partially frozen? Does it get mushy if it thaws totally? It is crunchy partially frozen? Sorry for all the questions! I've been dying to try it, but have been too scared to spend the money on it and waste it.

i think it holds up in taste in comparision to fresh, of course its not AS tasty, but for someone like me its worth it because it dosent go bad i can just take it out as i go, i find the strawberries are sometimes not as sweet, but the others are wonderful, the peaches especially. If you thaw it all the way it does get mushy, still tasty, but mushy and its sorta crunchy when its partially frozen.
Fresh fruit is better of course! but frozen is def not far behind, and i find it to be ALOT cheaper.
Hope that helps
cupcake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:29 AM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I just discovered asparagus - YUMMY. 3.6 calories a stalk and 1 gram of fiber. I roast in the oven with some cooking spray or a little olive oil, garlic and onion powder. Fantastic and get this my kids and DH love it as well. We've had it 3 times in the past week.

I am also really, really into almost all veggies, spaghetti squash, brussel sprouts, mushrooms, peppers, broccoli, big time into spinach. Cauliflower. I am so fortunate to like vegetables as much as I do.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:43 AM   #12  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Robin, roasted asparagus is one of my favorites too! In fact, it was one of my Valentine's Day presents from DH this year. He cooked supper for me and bought two big batches of asparagus for us.

My current favorite food is oatmeal. The Supreme Comfort Food. Oatmeal with a little smart balance spread, skim milk, splenda, cinnamon, and raisins. I have eaten it almost every day for breakfast for the last 6 months, and I'm still looking forward to it for breakfast today.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:33 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 140/137/125

Height: 5'2.5"

Salsa for me if I could eat it for everymeal I would....wait if everyone in my house would eat it everymeal I would. I tink I will some chicken fajhitas tonight now. lol
canadian mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 12:11 PM   #14  
Token Vulcan

I eat a couple of sandwiches a day so being able to go lo-cal with bread, turkey, lettuce and mayo has helped me. I'm also a salty-snack fiend so my choices lately have been the 100-calorie snack packs...love those Cheez Nips, lol. And it's great portion control for me. I usually have a pack with my sandwich and I'm good for a few hours. I also like the Rold Gold Honey Wheat Pretzels. They're 110 calories for 8 pretzels. They're hard and take me longer to eat than the cans of Pringles I used to go through. I still have Pringles on the brain sometimes but these alternatives have definitely helped with the salt cravings, lol. I also love seedless grapes. I'm buying them even when they're not on sale, lol. I've also tried a lot of the lo-cal frozen dinners the past 6-7 weeks and trying to narrow down which kinds are my favorites.
trekkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 12:50 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Meg, RE: Hummus. One way to cut down on the calories is to reserve the liquid from the garbanzo beans, and to use that instead of all that oil. If you use one or two tablespoons of olive oil and then use bean juice for the rest, the hummus still tastes delicious and has the right texture, but it’s much lower in fat.

(Extra bonus tip: I sometimes roast garlic by peeling all the cloves, putting them in a ramekin and covering them in olive oil, instead of drizzling oil over the top of a head of garlic. Once the garlic has been roasted, I save the oil which is now infused with delicious roasted garlic flavor for other uses. When I make hummus, I used the roasted garlic oil instead of regular oil for extra yumminess. You don’t need to use a ton of the garlic oil to get the flavor either, which makes it perfect.)
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote