Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-18-2007, 09:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Default Is anyone else annoyed by this? A bit of a rant. . .

I'm talking about what I refer to in my mind as "whole foods snobs."

I've posted several times here about how I believe you have to do whatever works for you, and I know everyone agrees with that. I've always believed that, for myself, if I don't allow myself to eat small portions of things that I love (even if they're processed and not the healthiest thing around), I won't stick to my plan. I have all the admiration in the world for people who can switch completely to whole, clean foods and never turn back. I also understand that you start to lose your cravings for processed stuff when you switch over. I've done all the reading, the research, etc. It's not that I'm unaware, and after all I do eat MOSTLY whole foods.

What annoys me is when "whole foods snobs" see me eating something that I've carefully planned into my calorie allowance, like a simple little 100-calorie pack of cookies, and they give me advice about HFCS (as if I've never heard of it) and tell me I shouldn't be eating it. I've lost 71 pounds. Also, I'm not an idiot.

Often, someone will change to a completely "clean" lifestyle and then act utterly disgusted by people who are tempted by "unclean" foods. There's a lot of "Oh, I would NEVER eat that," even from people who are still obese and probably have eaten a LOT of that in the past -- they're just not eating it currently.

I may sound harsh, but really I'm just annoyed by people who are self-righteous and judgmental about someone else's choices, even when those choices are clearly WORKING for that person!!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:01 AM   #2  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

I have to agree with you. I find it annoying when I see people berate someone for eating a non whole food, ignoring the fact that people need to do what works for them and the bottom line is what works for one person doesn't work for another.
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:03 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

My personal motto is nothing hurts in moderation. I like to enjoy life so I prefer not to be overly restrictive or disciplined with myself about anything. That's just me. Some people like to be very controlled with themselves and more power to them. However, if I can eat a filling 160 calorie meal, which happens to be a Hebrew National FF hot dog (50 cal) and a (gasp) Wonderbread hot dog roll (110 cal), I'm eatin' it! So I guess I eat like you, usually fairly healthy but never restrictive of any particular food. If I want a cookie I'll eat it, but since I started calorie counting I look up the nutrition info and usually the number of calories in that cookie (esp. those large ones at Subway) makes me easily avoid it next time.

Even so, I've never felt any sort of negative vibe about this from anyone on here, though I dont post the details of what I've eaten (except the Planning thread where intentions are good when posting) unless I'm asking for advice and then I would expect to get a range of opinions on how to correct what I'm seeking advice on. I'll agree with some responses and not with others but I appreciate the different opinions anyway.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:04 AM   #4  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Lisa, I hear what you are saying. We should all just pay attention to what is on our own plate. That is one reason that I don't post my Fitday. I keep track of my calories and I do allow myself low-calorie treats at time. We each need to do whatever works for us. An example of this is that since I do have stomach problems and need as much fiber as I can get. I don't eat as much protein as a lot of others do. I'm doing what works for me.

I can sympathize with your frustration. If you think this is bad, you should see some of the responses I got when I first came to 3FC's and unknowingly mentioned in the general thread that I was doing Atkins. (which my doctor had put me on). You'd have thought I was a criminal. I'm not doing Atkins anymore , but that is how I lost over 90 lbs. so it worked for me. If a person wants to eat nothing but whole foods, more power to them. Personally I need what works for me and wouldn't be very good at sticking to that 100% of the time. I found what I know is working for me and I'll stick to it.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:28 AM   #5  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

I agree and disagree in a sense. Because, while I enjoy foods that are not so good for me in extreme moderation, I really feel that nourishing my body healthfully, should be my primary goal. I don't intentionally eat things I don't enjoy just because they are healthy. I eat things that taste good that are healthy. My problem with processed foods is that I have a high incidence of heart disease and type 2 diabetes in my family. So HFCS and partially and fully hydrogenated oils are not an option for me. The latest research links both of those things to heart disease and diabetes. However, the food industry won't stop adding them to our foods. So, I am a watchdog for things like that for myself and my family. I do give advice against those things, when it's solicited, but I don't go out of my way to badger someone about what they are eating. If someone says, "hey Liz, is this healthy or good for me?". I read the ingredients. If it's not, I'll tell them and I'll tell them why.

Just be well educated in what you are putting in your mouth. If you don't see a problem with it, don't sweat it.
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:31 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 153/130/135

Height: 5'7"

Holy man, am I annoyed by those guys! Their behaviors and attitude remind me a bit of this:

Orthorexia nervosa
Not an official eating disorder diagnosis, but the concept is useful. The name was coined by Steven Bratman, M.D., to describe "a pathological fixation on eating 'proper' or 'pure' or 'superior' food."

People with orthorexia nervosa feel superior to others who eat "improper" food, which might include non-organic or fun foods and items found in regular grocery stores, as opposed to health food stores.

Orthorexics obsess over what to eat, how much to eat, how to prepare food "properly," and where to obtain "pure" and "proper" foods.

Eating the "right" food becomes an important ,or even the primary, focus of life. One's worth or goodness is seen in terms of what one does or does not eat. Personal values, relationships, career goals, and friendships become less important than the quality and timing of what is consumed.

Perhaps related to, or a type of, obsessive-compulsive disorder

Nothing that a bag of Cheetos and a Ho Ho can't fix, though...
fatburner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:32 AM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Sometimes it's so funny it's sad. When I was a probation officer, my boss would give me (and everyone else in the office) nutritional advice at the drop of a hat. Everything he said might have been true, but it's hard to take any health advice seriously, when it comes from a chain smoker. I always wanted to say to him, "give up the cancer sticks, and eat a twinkie already" - (I hate twinkies but that's another story).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:36 AM   #8  
Atkins Chick

S/C/G: highest234/ticker/130

Height: 5' 2 1/2" the 1/2 matters!

I do know what you mean. One of my dearest friends is that way. I also think some people are not meaning to be that way. When I used to read a lot of diet, wholefoods books or whatever I'd be so paranoid to eat a morsel of anything not organic or wholefoods or whatever the book I was reading at the time said not to eat. I do not read any of these kinds of books anymore because I don't like rules.
Ued to work in a small natural foods store and some of the people were fanatics. I was starting to get that way and it interfered with many other parts of my life like family dinners at the in-laws etc. I hated feeling like I was going to get some terrible disease because I ate something "bad".

Well with that being said I do eat mostly whole foods, but I'll eat other things I like too, like hot dogs with all their nitrates and everything! See I used to think I would instantly get a tumor from them. Is that crazy or what? You have to live life and not worry so much. I have definetly found a balance now over the last 10 years or so and it's a great freedom.

I do have to avoid refined sugars and flour though. I get foggy headed and just can't drop a pound. I also get intense cravings for more. Since I have completely cut them out I feel sooo good. Great energy, mood, no cravings, etc. I would give someone the advice of cutting it out if they were having difficulty controlling cravings, etc. and asked for the advice. I would not tell anyone what they are eating is bad, because if they can handle it, then it is not an issue for them.

No one should make their food issues someone else's.
problysewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:48 AM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I too hear you, LOUD and CLEAR. I live mostly on a whole foods diet. Vegetables just work well for me. They are healthy and I really, really like them and I can eat a large quantity of them. And of course there's the lean proteins like fish and white meat chicken and all the other good whole foods. But I most definitely eat processed food as well and the occasion HCFS. I wouldn't want to eat them all day long, day in, day out, but I, yes I, no one else see NOTHING wrong with them occasionally. Every day now (this wasn't always the case) I eat a sugar free jello pudding and a sugar/fat free Danon yogurt with artifical sweetner in it. Yikes. Bad Robin. Just kidding, I have ZERO guilt about them. ZERO. This might sound dramatic, but with out those 2 items I honestly and truly believe that I would not be sticking with my new lifestyle. I really have no doubt about it in fact. This is what works for ME. Dare I even mention that last week I ate 7 bites of 5 different desserts at a social event. I hadn't a clue to what was in there. Not a clue. I think it is more important for me to lose the weight (and keep it off) then eating an occasional artifical item or a dessert made with white flour and sugar. I also 100% respect those that disagree and definitely see their point. I just wish they would respect my choices and see my point as well.

I really think though no malicious intent is intended. People (myself included) just get so very passionate about "their cause" and want to share it with the world. I am just as passionate about eating the "bad" foods once in awhile as "they" are in NOT.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:02 AM   #10  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

This is reallly a great thread to think about. I'm guilty of the following sins/pleasures.
1. I eat regular peanut butter
2. I use Splenda in my coffee
3. I buy regular fruits and veggies, not the more expensive organic ones
4. I occasionally have baked cheetos or baked doritos with my tuna sandwich on whole wheat bread for lunch.
5. I drink a diet soda if I want one

But, compared to the fact that before changing my life, these were my sins/pleasures I am doing great:
1. I had 2 sausage,egg, cheese biscuits with hashbrowns and a super-size regular coke most every morning for breakfast
2. Lunch was almost always Pizza (3-4) slices with breadsticks and full-fat ranch dressing, Or Taco Bell Quesadilla with an extra beef and cheese burrito
3. Dinner was usually KFC, a 3 piece fried chicken dinner with Large coke or a whole Family size bucket of chicken nuggets with 2 orders mashed potatoes and gravy.
4. I used to drink a 6 pack per day of Mountain Dew in the 24 oz. bottles
5. I used to eat 2 or 3 candy bars a day.
6. Often had a large ice cream butterfinger blizzard from Sonic as a late night snack.

I've come a long way and I'm proud of how I eat now. It's a far cry from how I used to eat. So even though my eating isn't perfect, it is pretty darn good now.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:10 AM   #11  
Atkins Chick

S/C/G: highest234/ticker/130

Height: 5' 2 1/2" the 1/2 matters!

"I think it is more important for me to lose the weight (and keep it off) then eating an occasional artifical item or a dessert made with white flour and sugar." Quote - rockinrobin
I agree with you.

I'm not against anyone else eating white sugar or flour or HFCS or anything else they want to eat. I really don't think anything should be off-limits, unless you personally decide it for yourself or there is a medical issue. I had to stop eating it to get some control and finally start losing some weight. I have things I eat that are "bad", that I won't give up. It's the only way I can stick with for the rest of my life. Thank goodness for stevia because I still like the taste of sweet!
problysewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:20 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

What forum is this happening in? The Whole Foods forum perhaps? LOL I find the people on 3FC really helpful and knowledgeable and no one has made me feel like they judge me for my choices. I see non-whole foods listed in the Planning thread in the Support forum, and no one comments about other's eating generally. Now then there are the posts about "why am I not getting off this plateau??!!!" or the ever popular "my metabolism must be slow cuz I'm not losing" (I thought that way when I joined 3FC..LOL), and those posts WILL get honest responses from people about why the RESPONDER believes the poster's efforts may be failing. Also those that start off their "diet" (not lifestyle) on that Monday morning (after binging all weekend) with 1 slice of whole wheat toast for breakfast, no butter, a Lean Cuisine for lunch, 2 cookies for a snack, and then a can of soup with 3 lo-fat crackers, most of us get a bit concerned because it is too lo cal and all that processed junk will not nourish that person enough to sustain long term weightloss. People are commenting from experience as many have been down that road a million times and have finally discovered a lifestyle that can be sustained. Perhaps they are excited about finding their "cure" and they want to share it. Not sure anyone claims to be an expert but we're all here to offer our opinions. As for me, the ones who "go overboard" on they're new lifestyle sort of motivate me to at least get nearer to how they're doing things, though I am just not that sort of person to completely deprive myself if I want something or to push myself to work out constantly if I dont feel like it.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:25 AM   #13  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Just this morning, I was thinking about how much my life has changed in the past few years. My weight loss and eating lifestyle has been such a journey. A few years ago, I was plagued with stomach problems, pepto was a staple in my home and almost daily I'd have some stomach "issue". I would always think I had a sensitive stomach or what not. I don't know what "fixed" me but I no longer have stomach issues and I can't say when the last time I had to take stomach medicine.

I have cleaned up my diet incredibly over the past couple years and I'm grateful, beyond weight loss, what it has given me. For me, it has been a very personal journey. So there are things that I say that I don't eat now because I don't. I have some indulgences but they are rare. I know some people say they could never give up this or that and that is fine. For me though, there are things that I am willing to give up because I see no benefit to them.

You, as we all are, are on a personal journey. Some people may give advice because they are grateful for what they have learned on their own personal journey. So, I wouldn't take it to heart, unless someone is decided to critique your fitday journal without your request. There may be controversies that arise as well such as HFCS and partially that has to do with books coming out saying it is "bad" such as "You: On a Diet". Although I think I'm one of the few people that thought that book wasn't all that great especially some of the advice given.

Anyway, I'd say remember to take advice that anyone gives you as just that advice. It isn't a medical opinion, it isn't a doctor's note, it is just someone trying to express their information through their experiences.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:30 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I agree with Mami ~ I've not seen any "offending" posts - although there are some who ASK for input, and it is given. I think that is one of the great things about this board - the info is there, take it if you choose, if not, move on! I have found nothing but support and good strong information and help here.
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:33 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 243.5/243.5/140

Height: 5'5"

I can see what everyone means and I'm feeling lucky that I don't have people who criticize what I eat...mostly of everyone I know I currently eat the healthiest anyway. I agree with doing what works for you. I've lost 31lbs so far by making simple healthy changes and exercising more and that works for me. Truthfully the only thing that I avoid is soy products because I'm at high risk for breast cancer (my mother) and I'm even higher because I've already had cervical cancer. I have normal things like cholesterol, blood pressure, I'm not pre-diabetic. I have switched to a good amount of whole foods, cut out red meat, I don't buy white bread or pasta anymore but that is just a personal choice and it works for me because I enjoy whole grain rice and pasta just as much, if not actually more than I enjoy the other stuff. But I still occasionally use splenda, I drink diet coke, if I eat out I try my best to keep it healthy but I'd be a liar if I didn't say that I had a couple of french fries last week... In comparison though to my lifestyle just a few months ago... bacon egg and cheese sandwiches or bagels with cream cheese every day, full fat double lattes, burritos, massive amounts of chinese takeout, or any other takeout for that matter...well its very different.

The way i look at it, I was I smoker since the age of 12...yes thats right, 12, which means that at age 26 i have done 14 years worth of smoking damage to my body. I hopped on the get healthy wagon at a point when I was about 4 steps short of full blown alcoholic and I lived off of nothing but cigarettes, alcohol and massive amounts of takeout every single day. oh...and I was sedentary. When I think about that, then I'm not gonna sweat an occasional dinner out or diet coke.

I think everyone should do what works for them. When I post I welcome everyones angles and advice on what has worked for them because you never know when you'll get some advice that will fit into a plan for you. Everyone is different, our medical present and pasts, our family history, our bodies are all different and no one thing is right and no one thing is wrong, its all about a lifestyle that you are comfortable with that is sustainable for you.
NESunshine is offline   Reply With Quote