Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-17-2007, 02:16 PM   #1  
LLV

Default I've brainwashed my 7-year-old son

My son's cub scout troop went on a little field trip today to the local military museum and the scout leaders said they were taking all of the boys to McDonald's for lunch. And before he left, my son says to me, "I don't want McDonald's, they use the bad fat!"

I about fell over

I guess McDonald's is SUPPOSED to be switching over to better oil, but I'm not sure how far that's come yet.

Another thing my son does-- if he goes to his Grandma's or his Aunt's house and they offer him a soda, he'll say, "No thank you, I've already had enough sugar for the day."

Another quote of his recently-- "I don't want pepperoni on my pizza, it has too much fat."

He's also become a label-reader. Yes, a 7-year-old boy who reads nutrition labels to check the fat and sugar content of almost everything he eats.

I have mixed emotions about this. While I want him to be conscious of the food he eats (because let's face it, too many kids these days aren't) I don't want this to become an obsessive thing for him. Especially when I hear about more and more boys as well as girls becoming anorexic or developing some other eating disorder.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by LLV; 02-17-2007 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Correction!
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:29 PM   #2  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

My thoughts- what you've done is a great thing. He states it out right because he is young and it is your teaching he is implementing- but eventually it will become second nature for him and won't be a big deal. It is my opinion that the world of eating disorders would shrink dramatically if healthier ways were taught along side every other bit information given to children as tools for a better future. ^-^ I wish more moms were like you!
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:35 PM   #3  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I don't think there is anything wrong with children learning about nutrition from an early age. As long as he isn't refusing the healthy foods that you offer there shouldn't really be a problem.

My DD is 14. She is 5'5 1/2 inches and weighs 135. She'd like to lose 10 lbs. but absolutely wants no part of reading labels. I pack her a healthy lunch and make her BF and her Dinner. I log her food in Fitday for her. She wants me to be the one totally 1000% responsible for her food choices and her weight. It irritates me that she doesn't want to talk about it or take any of the responsibility. I know that she is in the healthy BMI range. She has slender hips and legs (size 4-5 jeans that button low) but her waist is 35 inches. I have never, ever suggested that she needs to lose weight, she is the one that comes to me. A yr. ago she was 5'4 and weighed 108 lbs. so this is why she wants to lose weight. All I am doing for my DD is making sure that lots of healthy food is kept in the house and junk food is very limited (and is in the lower calorie equivalent).

I did get a call from her school yesterday saying she owes $26.00 on her lunch account. I am figuring that since I pack her lunch every day that she is eating not only what I fix for her but what the school is serving too. So, maybe my "help" is in fact making the situation worse. She refuses to weigh, but I do notice she is trying to exercise a little bit more. I have noticed that all her size 3 jeans are too small and she keeps "borrowing" my clothes.

LLV, it seems like it is such a slippery slope with kids. I want to help as I'm sure you do, but we neither want our kids obsessed with weight /fat/calories/exercise. None of the kids in my family were ever over-weight and it just wasn't a topic that we really discussed. We ate whatever was put on the table. The one really noticeable change with my DD is that since I started losing weight 20 months ago, she has totally switched to sugar free drinks.

Last edited by lilybelle; 02-17-2007 at 02:40 PM.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

It is good that you're teaching your son about bad fats and whatnot, but, I think that you have a deeper understanding of what you're doing. You know that fats & sugars = bad, but it's okay to have them sometimes, and sometimes your body does need them. I don't know you're son, but, from what you've said... I'm not sure if he understands that. You know?
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:14 PM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

as long as he is focused on nutrition and not weight I wouldnt stress.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:26 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

Bendito..bless his little heart! That is so sweet. When I met up with my sister for a weekend away recently, she refused to go to a fast food place EVEN ONCE. I thought it was a bit inflexible but it wasn't because she's dieting as she's naturally slim, and she's by NO STRETCH a health nut, just that she finds the food really unhealthy and just didnt want it. Period. There really is nothing wrong with that..if your son never wants a McD burger then more power to him. Doesnt mean he's obsessive because he wont eat McD's..we should all be lucky enough to get grossed out by it and not want it because its made of unhealthy things. At a young age, kids are QUITE picky about their food in general..some ONLY like chicken nuggets and hot dogs and some, like your son, like it healthy only I guess). Children do have a tendency to make their likes and wishes known, so it just follows that he will refuse something he doesnt like.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:37 PM   #7  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelypurple View Post
It is good that you're teaching your son about bad fats and whatnot, but, I think that you have a deeper understanding of what you're doing. You know that fats & sugars = bad, but it's okay to have them sometimes, and sometimes your body does need them. I don't know you're son, but, from what you've said... I'm not sure if he understands that. You know?
Oh he knows. Just today when he made the comment about McDonald's, I said, "Honey, every once in a while isn't going to hurt you. Everything in moderation."

I don't deny him treats. He's a kid. Kids like cookies and ice cream and sodas (although he has switched himself to drinking the sugar-free ) and he knows it's ok to have those things once in a while. Of course "mom" buys the light ice cream and reduced-fat cookies, but I don't tell HIM that. I don't make it an issue and say things like, "Enjoy your ice cream! It has less fat!"

In fact I really don't talk about any of this at all unless he asks. I've never shoved my knowledge of food down his throat, it's simply a learned behavior on his part, from watching ME. You know how kids are, they pick stuff up on their own. I've switched a lot of his foods to either light or reduced-fat (for example hot dogs - I buy the Ballpark white turkey franks; no fat and only 40 or 45 calories each. They're expensive but to cut back on fat and calories for everyone, to me it's worth it) but I never tell him that. He just assumes it's the 'good' stuff. That's never been an issue.

I don't deny myself treats, either. I don't believe in deprivation and I've never done that to myself. I still eat my sinful little favorites, just in extreme moderation. So it's not like I'm one of those stickler moms that refuses to let my child have goodies. That's just crazy. I've heard some mom's say they feed their kids nothing but vegetables and refuse to bring cookies and ice cream into the house while proudly saying, "My kids NEVER eat that junk!"

I think that's kind of sad. But that's simply my opinion. It's their choice what to allow their kids and it's none of my business.

So yeah, I think most of what my son has learned is-- well, like I said, learned behaviors. Plus from his questions, he occasionally asks me why I'm eating a certain food or why I won't eat that, etc etc etc.

Thanks for replies so far, girls, I've read them all and they're much appreciated!

And ennay, no, he's definitely not focused on weight. The only time he'll weigh himself is when I drag my scale out to weight MYself, which is usually only about twice a month. He'll jump on and say, "Mommy, I weigh so & so pounds," then run off. He's never expressed a concern about his weight. He's more concerned about sugar and fat, lol.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:45 PM   #8  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
I did get a call from her school yesterday saying she owes $26.00 on her lunch account. I am figuring that since I pack her lunch every day that she is eating not only what I fix for her but what the school is serving too.
Oh goodness. Have you confronted her with that and have you asked her if she's also eating the school meals along with her packed meal?
Old 02-17-2007, 04:35 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

I've babysat at houses with "stickler" moms. The kids will be watching TV and see a commercial for Life cereal and say, "THAT cereal has way too much sugar!!!" I'm glad your son is so well-rounded, I'll look for him on info-mercials in 20 years telling people that his mom taught him how to be healthy!

You're setting such a great example. You should be proud of yourself and your son.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:04 PM   #10  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

LLV - I think its great. He is going to grow up understanding the difference between everyday food and sometimes food.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:57 PM   #11  
LLV

Thanks, girls, your posts make me feel so much better!
Old 02-17-2007, 06:51 PM   #12  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

LLV,

you better watch all the "healthy food talk" around your son... he might grow up to be a "Cereal Killer".

LOL!!!!!!!! Just kiddin'!!!!

I think you're teaching him GOOD HEALTH HABITS. He should be interested in reading labels (in fact, reading ANYTHING... reading is fundamental ya know! ) and it's good that he is taking that kind of knowledge & applying it while he's YOUNG. More than likely, those good health habits will stick with him a lifetime.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:43 PM   #13  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Patrol View Post
LLV,

you better watch all the "healthy food talk" around your son... he might grow up to be a "Cereal Killer".
lol!

Thanks for the positive feedback!
Old 02-18-2007, 12:50 AM   #14  

Height: 5'3

First of all, that kid sounds so cute.

Now, i think you should keep an eye on him and make sure he doesnt become too obsessed with fat and calories because it may evolve into an obsession with weight. I'd keep preaching the moderation thing.

That being said, he may just be interested in that sort of stuff. My best friend was like that throughout her entire childhood. I can remember being 8 years old, eating twinkies and she'd point out the fat and calories. Now she's a nutritionist with a masters who works planning meals in a nursing home. So maybe it's just a natural interest of his.
shawnamadonna1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:58 AM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Your boy sounds precious and I'm sure you have a hard time not hugging and kissing him to tiny little pieces.

Do you realize how great this is? It's all just perfectly natural to him. He doesn't have to think twice about it. It's part of his make up and who and what he is. Too cool.

I'm glad you don't restrict him too much and allow him to have occasional treats. I've heard horror stories of kids (a cousin of mine in fact) who were so restricted as kids that they become obese as adults. You sound though as you've got everything all worked out. Good job mommy!!!

Gosh I wish I would have done this when my kids were little *sigh*. My kids are old by now, 19, 17 and 15. I wish they would have grown up from day one with there mother's newfound lifetsyle. Oh well.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote