Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-17-2007, 06:45 PM   #1  
No description available.

Default Cookies

Girl Scout Cookies are here. Sigh. Should have just donated cash. But, the rest of the family (none of whom have a weight problem) enjoy them so I will dole them out in lunches and just say no for myself.

None. If I choose to eat one or so I will come and post it here. It is not the end of the world if I do have one, but by posting it here, I will allow peer pressure to keep consumption at a minimum.

Thanks....
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 06:54 PM   #2  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

There were not one, not two, but THREE people at my office selling their kids' GSC this year. I said no to all three of them. I just told them that I was on a DOCTOR PRESCRIBED DIET (not a lie! - as my doctor did tell me that I should lose a few pounds!) and when they hear ''doctor'' - they don't get all wishy-washy on me about "supporting the kids/you can give the cookies away, blahblahblah."

JUST SAY NO really is good advice sometimes!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 07:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Yeah, DD called me from school, not to ASK if she could buy some, but LET ME KNOW that she bought some......they aren't here yet, though (thankfully). I don't even know what kinds she ordered. I'm sure DD will expect me to pay for them. As long as she doesn't expect me to eat them!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 08:27 PM   #4  

My main problem is that my younger daughter is a girl scout, so we are kind of caught up in the culture of it as the moment. She sold over 280 boxes. Maybe we need to start selling string cheese or something.

As with many things, it is nice to know I am not the only one!!!
Old 02-17-2007, 09:16 PM   #5  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
My main problem is that my younger daughter is a girl scout, so we are kind of caught up in the culture of it as the moment. She sold over 280 boxes. Maybe we need to start selling string cheese or something.

As with many things, it is nice to know I am not the only one!!!
That will NEVER happen ~ those cookies are the biggest monopoly known to mankind! I am not down on Girl Scouts, my daughter was one and I was the only dad that did the merit badges, camping etc. But the girls are not allowed to raise money any other way! And talk about the profit for the corporation (did you ever see 60 Minutes on this?).

Now Boy Scouts is different...any money raised stays in your troop. One night my son's troop raised over $600 for auctioning off cakes, at our church, that the dads and boys had made...this was matched by an insurance company giving us $1,200.00 for the year on one easy auction! My daughter's troops never saw anything close to that in the entire 6 years TOTAL of selling thousands of cookies at a very HIGH PRICE! And now OPERATION THIN MINT...hummmmm It's good for the boys and girls in our service...but I just bet Girl Scouts corporation doesn't lose a dime on it or make any kind of donation!! Could be wrong and I am sure to make people mad But just try to raise money for your troop of girls without selling cookies...not gonna happen.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Thus far I've managed to avoid buying any. I actual don't know anyone who is selling them. I try not to eat sugar so normally when I get peer pressure into buying things (like from school bake sales) I can use that as an excuse and people don't bother me. But I have to say after years of selling cookies if I saw someone selling them I would probable buy them and just give them to my sisters or mail them to my dad. They would enjoy them more then I would anyways.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:38 PM   #7  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

you are so right Gary, I actually remember as a Brownie, seeing how much our troop got per box and being p'od. I think thats the last year I was a scout.

But I love the thin mints
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:43 PM   #8  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Default THIN MINT Rant!

Ohhhhhhh! THIN MINTS!!!!! Those suckers were responsible for my weight loss STALL back in 2003! I had lost 25 lbs. and felt pretty darn good about myself. Then came the THIN MINT cookies! I KNOW that they package them in cellophane that purposely tears easily. That way, you keep eating them until you reach a place where the cellophane is long enough to be twisted until the NEXT snack attack happens! Before you know it, you have eaten half the package! Oh heck! Why not just FINISH THE WHOLE package?!!! I can be MUCH neater that way and the family may not realize how many I have actually eaten! (You all KNOW what I mean, right?!!)

Well, by the Grace of God no little Girl Scout found me this year! SO FAR I am free from the clutches of the THIN MINTS!

Do you know that some skinny girl once said to me, "They freeze SO WELL!" I could just imagine her having a whole box last for a year in her freezer! I could see her taking ONE THIN MINT COOKIE out each day and enjoying it all by its lonesome. Ahhhhhh!

OK...I'm done!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:45 PM   #9  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Oh ~ but back to my RANT ~ I still do buy and have already purchased boxes from girls at our church...and I am a sucker when they sit outside the stores selling too. It isn't the girls faults!
Old 02-17-2007, 09:55 PM   #10  
stbakd

tell you are diebetic and can't have the cookies
glen
hefty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:05 PM   #11  

Cute sells -- that's why the adults use the girls for "cookie pushers" -- I was a girl scout for years -- what pressure - to sell more boxes than your friends! So glad I have boys -- boy scouts for us and not one fund raiser yet, except the whole "bottle/can drive", which is great, people are just throwing them out anyway!!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:09 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've never actually bought any girl scout cookies. Don't really ever plan to either.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:32 AM   #13  

Gee, Nelie, are you sure? I have about 20 boxes that I need to sell! Haha!! (just kidding, I would not want to sabotage your fabulous progress!)

The kids do not get to keep a lot of the profits, but they keep some. It should cover camp this year.

With all the (300+) boxes piled in my living room, I am kinda cookied-out anyway. Time to start delivering them!
Old 02-18-2007, 09:56 AM   #14  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Sometimes what I try to do on fundraisers, like at church youth/school groups, is find out how much profit they get from the cady bar, gift wrap, etc. Then let them keep their item, give them double the profit then I save money and don't have an item I don't really need in my fridge or storage.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:04 AM   #15  
LLV

Here, girls........ nutrition information for Girl Scout Cookies so you can see what's in your favorite cookie before you buy it.

http://www.littlebrowniebakers.com/c...nutrition.html

http://www.girlscoutcookiesabc.com/atc/default.asp
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote