Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-16-2007, 10:39 AM   #1  
What's this button do?

S/C/G: 323/282/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Who is your rock?

Who is your rock in this weight-loss journey? Who motivates you, supports you? Who keeps you going when the chips are down?

Mine is my sister. I would have an infinitely harder time doing this without her. She doesn't judge, she doesn't gossip to others about what we/I am doing; I can tell her any little diet/exercise/body image worry and she bam! she puts it all into perspective. She's also my workout buddy when she can, though she took a night job recently and we can't work out together much anymore. Every time I have some anxiety I think she won't understand, she does. Every time I am reluctant to discuss a thought or idea or philosophy, she surprises me by listening and injecting analysis and support.

Sis, you're my rock.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 10:41 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

This site! I say without hesitation!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 10:44 AM   #3  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Yeah this site and more increasingly DH since he's come to understand my need for excelling in kickboxing and running and tells me he's proud rather than moaning that he misses me when I train!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 10:52 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

This site and definitely DH. He is supportive and he encourages me to exercise and he tries to exercise regularly himself.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:08 AM   #5  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I would definitely say it is this site. When I first started my DH and Kids were very supportive, but it's old news to them now.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:12 AM   #6  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I am. I am the person who gets myself out there to run, and who cooks all sorts of healthy stuff, and who gets me out of bed in the morning. I live alone and my family live abroad, so if I don't do it, no-one will.

This site comes a close second, but even so, it only works if i make myself log on
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:17 AM   #7  
MeoW

S/C/G: 275/215/160

Height: 5'7

this site for sure!!!!
and probably my mother, shes always really really supportive of me.
cupcake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:22 AM   #8  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

My mom. She's losing weight right now, too, and we've made an agreement to keep each other updated, nag each other when necessary, commiserate when necessary, and just understand. We're both doing pretty well, and she really does put it into perspective when I'm whining about having not lost weight this week or something. Very encouraging, my mom is.

I'd say my SO, as well, but...he honestly doesn't get it. He'll support me as best he can, and he tries to, but he just doesn't *get it* in the way that another person who's losing weight gets it. He's super-skinny and has been his whole life - in his early teens, he had to be put on a special diet to GAIN weight because he was so freaken scrawny. Damn his metabolism. I want it.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:27 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

Great thread! I'd have to say that it started with me. After so many weight loss failures in the past, I didn't want to share it with anyone and just plodded along, drawing on my own internal strength to keep me going. As it became real and apparent that I was really going to do it this time, I started sharing more with my DH, and he has been really supportive and encouraging, not suggesting we eat out when he knows I need to stay home so I can eat on plan, etc. I still try to keep it to myself for the most part and not tell too many friends and relatives, especially relatives, because that opens me up to unsolicited "well-meaning" comments that often have a discouraging effect on me. My brother for one, has a way of wording things on purpose so they come across as well meaning but are really condescending. I don't like to talk to him about my weight loss at all. His wife also likes to say things like "are you still on your diet?" which implies that one day I am NOT going to be on my diet and will gain weight again. I've told her that this isn't a diet, it's a permanent new way of living, but she keeps up with the diet question. I just don't try to rely on many people for support, other than DH and 3FC, of course! It's a rare person who can fill that support role and not have other issues
Luminous: Your Sis sounds like a wonderful peson and you are lucky to have her, as she is you!
Sorry to go on and on. This struck a chord.
Pam
MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:27 AM   #10  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

1. Me.
2. this site and the friends I have made on here
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:28 AM   #11  
hara hachi bu

This site, and my best friend.

She always suggests exercise-related activities, and whenever I visit for dinner she offers food that isn't unhealthy.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:30 AM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

My husband has been very supportive. But pales in comparison to my 2 daughters ages 17 and 15. My oldest is away in college so she's just not home that often. But my other daughters are my own personal rooting section. They cheer me on every day. They never fail to ask me how my day went when they return home from school. They ooh and ahh at every new purchase I make and demand a fashion show on the spot and then mete out the compliments. They tell me every day how "small" I am and how beautiful. They frequently tell me how proud they are of me. Just on and on and on. They are amazing. I feel so bad for all that I have robbed them of by being morbidly obese for so long.

And then of course there's this site. It still boggles my mind that I have found a bunch of caring, sensitive, intelligent, witty and wise women who know and understand every little thing that I am going through. Even more so then my own family.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:41 AM   #13  
What's this button do?

S/C/G: 323/282/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHiMama View Post
Luminous: Your Sis sounds like a wonderful peson and you are lucky to have her, as she is you!
I think she is wonderful too! We hated each other until I went to college—3.5 years age difference is just enough for intense childhood competition, rivalry, jealousies. But now, she is just so amazing and part of the reason I made this thread was I wanted to recognize that.

And it feels great to put down the words, "THIS person's support is really making a positive difference!"

(P.S. Couldn't do it without 3FC either of course!)
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:53 AM   #14  
Can't wait 2 be a goddess

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/165

Height: 5'8

3FC #1
I have no support at home or from friends
707Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 12:15 PM   #15  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

My little sister is fabulous- - - she's 6 years old!

She's amazing though. I'm 23 so sometimes it's more like she's my kid or something but she's a great kid, very smart.

A few days ago I was talking to her, feeling a bit down about things, and I was talking to her about how I thought I had changed and wasn't the person I used to be and how I wanted to get back to that other person.

Her reply, "KK, you are the same person you have always been. I don't know how to get it back. I just know that it's deep down inside of you."

Wow! It took a 6 yr old to tell me I am the same person, even if I don't look the same.
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote