Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-13-2007, 01:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230.8/see ticker/160

Height: 5'8

Default Should I try running again?

Back in grade 5 I hurt my ACL really bad when I was skiing. I was on crutches for 8 weeks and almost required surgury.

About a month ago I started the couch to 5k challenge. I made it through the first week when I hit a chunk of ice and my knee buckled in and by the time I got home my knee hurt really bad and it was starting to swell. So that was about 3 weeks ago. I reeeeeeally enjoyed the running. My knee feels completely better now. Can I try starting on week 1 again or is running bad for the knees to begin?

Thanks
Angela
babygrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:05 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Running is definitely not easy on the knees. If you want to do it, though, there are some ways to make it a little easier. First, never ever run on concrete. Asphalt is a little better, so run in the street in a bike lane if there is one, not on the sidewalk. Best would be dirt or a track...they absorb more of the impact from your foot landing, resulting in less pressure on the knee.

Do you do any strength training? One of the best things I ever did for my knee was starting serious strength training on my lower body. The quads, especially, help with knee stability, as do some smaller muscles. Lots of squats and lunges have made my knee a lot more stable, and able to take more pressure/bouncing/strain.

Also, do you have access to an elliptical trainer or other cardio equipment? If you do, one of the greatest things I did for my knee was start on the elliptical. It is no-impact exercise, which is great if your knee is unstable, but you get a similar feel to running. It also has made it easier for me to actually run now, probably by building up more leg muscle and stability.

I feel your pain! I REALLY wanted to be a runner, but was born with a slight defect wherein an extra ligament was running directly under my kneecap, which basically wore away all of the cartilege in my knees by the time I was 16, making them very unstable and prone to dislocating. It takes diligent effort, and a lot of patience, to be able to run without pain. Now, though, I can run as often every other day with no problems (though I still prefer the elliptical on most days).

Best of luck! PM me if you have more questions!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: Starting over

Height: 5'7"

I have just started the C25K and I'm on week 2 starting tomorrow. I also have a knee injury but it is several years old. So far (for me) the program is so incremental that it has been fine on the ol knee and I haven't had any pain yet.

Running is notoriously hard on knees so I am watching too. But it is also a ton of fun.

If you do start come over to the C25K thread and join me.
hikerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Oh BG, your history scares me. I am not a runner bc of my weight, but have a ton of family members with bad knees. Knees are scary things to have go bad bc it is so hard to get them right again. I would say with your history, I would limit yourself to treadmill running or an elliptical, which mimics the running. I think you can still get the runner's high on either piece of equipment. I would just hate for you to blow out your knee again when you have that cutey patootey to chase after!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:16 PM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

running itself is not bad for the knees(it wont make good knees GO bad) but it is hard on weak knees. (although it actually improved mine)

The fact that it went out because of a slip, indicates you may indeed have weak knees. I would work on doing knee stability and strengthening and work into running very very slowly. If at all possible see a sports physical therapist to talk about how best to stretch and strengthen your knees to support running.

try to alternate running with biking (regular or stationary) as it hits the complimentary muscles around the knee
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:49 PM   #6  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Another way to help the knees while running is to wear knee supports. It helps take some of the impact off the knees.

I have arthritis in my knees. Running strengthened mine as well. I don't have nearly the problems with them now that I had before I started running and exercising. But I also do lunges and squats and a bit of yoga.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote