Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-12-2007, 01:55 PM   #1  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Question Seriously thinking about upping my goal weight.

So yeah, that's basically it. As you all know by looking at my ticker, I started this journey at 287 pounds back in September. I chose 125 lbs as my goal weight because the lowest I remember it as an adult is about 135. And I was not happy with my weight then, I AM only 5 feet tall. So I figured I would shave 10 lbs from that figure and that's how I came up with 125. I was about 20 -21 years old the last time I was 135. And I was always dieting as a teenager and young adult, always, obviously not correctly, but nevertheless always dieting. I'm now 43, with 3 kids. I just don't know if I can do it. I"m older, I have a huge fibroid in me (who the heck knows how much that thing weighs or if I'm taking it out). These things weren't an issue when I was 21 years or 135 lbs. Oh and lets not forget about all the excess skin that I will be having. That can easily add up to 10 lbs.

So therefore I'm seriously considering raising my goal to 135. I don't want to make it all the way there and then think of myself as a failure. That would be a shame. Now when I get to 135 and I'm still losing, WITHOUT going to extreme measures, that's fine. I am NOT willing to go below 1200 calories and I am NOT willing to spend 2-3 hours a day working out. I'm just not.

I know I could just leave the 125 there and the same scenario would take place, that I either get there, the 125 or I don't, but I just don't want to say. "Well yes I've come so far, but I just couldn't get those last 10 pounds off." I mean wouldn't that be a shame? Wouldn't it?
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

My goal weight changed several times. It was originally 150, since that was a weight I could remember maintaining fairly easily for a few years in the early 90s. When I reached 150, I was still losing steadily so I amended the goal to 135. I got stuck at 140 and the IDEA of 135 tormented me for months until I finally thought - hey, I look great at 140 and decided to stay there. I eventually lost more weight and ended up at 128.

I was pretty miserable for awhile when I didn't reach my goal of 135, so I wouldn't wish that experience on anyone. I do think it's easier to have a better idea of goal weight as you get closer to it!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:21 PM   #3  
prepare for the BEST time

You have made huge progress already! (97# is nothing to sneeze at). I think 135 is reasonable, because you have muscle, a different body composition than you did 20 years ago too. I don't know about the wt. of excess skin and fibroid, but I'm sure they add into your equation.

even coming within 20 lbs. of your goal is a tremendous accomplishment, it's hard work, you should be very proud of yourself.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

robin~I would definitely change your goal to 135 and then when you reach it, re-evaluate yourself. Who knows, perhaps 135 will be your perfect weight. If not, go back to the original goal.

I am also 43 and I do remember being 128 about 10-11 years ago. I was too skinny. I remember that I jumped up to the 133-135 range and easily stayed there for several years, that's why I chose 133 as my goal. You have to be comfortable and I think I'll be comfortable there.

Best of luck!!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:40 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

That's just it, imagine I leave my goal as 125, get to 135 and can't budge. I'd be miserable. If I change my goal to 135 and can't budge at least I will feel satisfied and not miserable.

The only teeny, tiny problem is that at 135 and my height I am still in the overweight range, BMIwise. Hmph. But I do know when I get down to 135 now as opposed to previously I will be much healthier. I will be more fit and active, have less body fat, more muscle and my body will be full of good and healthy foods. That stupid BMI thing is kinda bothering me a little.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:07 PM   #6  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi Robin!

After having lost over NINETY POUNDS since September I don't see how you could EVER see yourself as a FAILURE even if your never even SAW 135 or 145 or even more than that! I think that your weight loss has been PHENOMENAL, and you obviously have gotten the hang of losing weight with the body you have, the age you are, AND Miss Fibroid, too! Why not choose NOT to choose any goal weight right now and keep up the great work that you have been doing? Do you honestly feel that without a particular goal weight written in stone that you won't succeed?!! Robin, girl...you already HAVE succeeded!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:23 PM   #7  

Quote:
The only teeny, tiny problem is that at 135 and my height I am still in the overweight range, BMIwise.
How about body fat percentage? Would a "normal" or "healthy" or whatever body fat percentage be an objective enough measurement?
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:14 PM   #8  

I think that regardless of whether you change your goal weight or not, you are doing amazing!

And in relation to the BMI thing: don't let any graph, scale or number dictate how you feel about your body -- if you feel healthy at 135, screw the BMI Healthy is healthy is healthy...
sweet_talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:29 PM   #9  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Robin,

You have done so fantastically well that I can't imagine you not reaching your goal. But I understand that you don't want to make it something that could be difficult to achieve and will leave you unsatisfied.

I have seriously considered changing my goal weight at different points in my weight loss journey. Usually thinking of lowering it. I've decided that until I get closer to my goal, I don't really know what my body will look like, how much of a struggle it will be to reach it, etc. And for those of us who have lost a significant amount of weight, there's always the loose skin issue. My doctor told me in January that I would never really know how much weight I've lost until I remove the extra skin of my lower tummy.

I know it's shallow of me to think this, but I keep thinking that it will be so melodramatic to reach my goal and then to lower it and have to meet another goal.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:57 PM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

The things we worry about! ... Well, rockinrobin, as you can see from my ticker, my goal weight is pretty high. I'm 5 ft 3, and yes, I will still be "overweight" (but not "obese") at 155. But it is such a long, hard trek, that my plan is to maintain at 155 for awhile before I set a new goal and start losing again. So, I see no problem with changing your goal to whatever you want it to be.

You have done really really great so far!!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:10 PM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtammy View Post
Robin,

You have done so fantastically well that I can't imagine you not reaching your goal. But I understand that you don't want to make it something that could be difficult to achieve and will leave you unsatisfied.

I know it's shallow of me to think this, but I keep thinking that it will be so melodramatic to reach my goal and then to lower it and have to meet another goal.

That's just it Tammy, I don't know if it's humanly possible for me to get to 135 with all the factors that I mentioned. I couldn't get below that number as a TEENAGER. Now look what I've got going against me. I don't think it's shallow of you at all to reach your goal and then feel badly about setting a new one, I just don't see it that way. I think if I hit my (new) goal great, if I could still lose more, even better and if not........... it's not SO terrible.

Cheryl, you make a good point about not choosing any goal weight at all, but I don't think that would work for me. If only because of 3FC and my ticker. I know that sounds crazy.

Yes, Maria, I'd be very pleased with a nice low body fat %. Very pleased.

Thanks to all the others for your thoughts on this topic. I just wanted to hear some of your opinions. I'll let you know what I decide. Anyone's else comments are more then welcome.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:20 PM   #12  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Robin, you have done so awesome. I do understand how you feel. I had thought about a goal of 135 for myself. That is what I weighed in high school and I can remember my Dr. writing "slender" on my college health physical application. I wanted to try to get "slender" again. But, I changed my mind to 145 as it was easier for me to reach and easier for me to maintain. Like you, I wasn't willing to go lower on my calories or have to exercise every spare minute to maintain my loss.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:27 PM   #13  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I chose 125 lbs as my goal weight because the lowest I remember it as an adult is about 135. And I was not happy with my weight then
I felt the same in high school. At 140, I think I had a better figure than I did at 132 when I was 18. Why? Because I exercise now and didn't then. The toning helped to redistribute what I had. Then I weighed less, but I looked like a stick figure...no curves. So I felt fat even then.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:30 AM   #14  
3 + years maintaining

Allright, after sleeping on it, I've decided to raise my goal. Funny, I feel so strange about it. But yes, I'm going to up it to 135ish? That 135 is not written in stone, I do realize that. Now mind you when I get to that 135 I will definitely see if I can get it lower. But if I can't I think I will be quite satisfied and not feel like a failure.

Wow I already feel as if a weight (no pun intended) has been lifted from me. I really think I was doubting if I could ever get to that 125. That would mean losing 162 lbs. Thanks so much for your input ladies.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:49 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Rather than thinking about your BMI still being overweight at 135...think about this:
What would your BMI and your general health be, if you stayed at 287 pounds?
It is a world of difference. With your starting weight, just getting under 200 pounds does wonders for your longetivity and general health. You have added years to your life.
Don't worry about the BMI. Don't worry about a dream weight that sounds good, or a weight you were when you were 18 years old, like we often do. As you lose weight, we all evaluate our goal weights. It is a natural thing.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote