Old 02-09-2007, 03:30 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 251/248/130

Height: 5'2''

Arrow Addiction To Sugar??

Hello all.. Ive been googling around for a bit tonight with no success. I was wanting to know if it is possible to become "addicted" to sugar. I can eat a full meal and be completely full, however, somehow, there's always room for something sweet. I never really had a sweet tooth prior to my pregnancy. Now im a radical for it! If I dont have it, whether it be chocolate, ice cream, cake, etc, I get really grouchy and sometimes get so frustrated that I nearly cry! I know this sounds extreme, but I hope im not alone. If anyone can answer my question, this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
huniebunie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:37 AM   #2  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

You are definately NOT alone. Although everyone is different, I have found about myself that I crave it the more it's in my body. I didn't have sugar for 7 months, actually no sugar, flour or salt. I work in a restaurant that has some of the best cheesecake and I am never even tempted.

For New Years I decided to have a treat and had some ice cream and champagne. Well, let me tell you, it was like I had never gone without! The feeling was right back to where it was. I struggled for days afterward not to eat sugar again! After that week, I was fine. I still don't eat it and don't miss it a bit!
cantforgetthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:21 AM   #3  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

I completely agree with Karen. If i can just get myself weaned off of it for a few days, i dont HAVE TO have it. But if my body is used to getting that sweet fix after meals, it is terrible, i will actually get in the car and drive to the dollar store, just to get a piece of chocolate. But once i go through withdrawls, i dont even think about it. The problem....getting through those withdrawls. I am in the process of stopping that addiction now. I am down to just a bite of something sweet after meals. I hope by monday, i will be back to NOTHING sweet after meals.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:12 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 251/248/130

Height: 5'2''

Im so GLAD to see that im not alone in this. I honestly thought something was wrong.lol. So how do I go about kicking the sugar to the curb? Have you all just went "cold turkey"?
huniebunie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:26 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 224/187/135

Height: 5'8"

I am also addicted to sugar. For me you have to go cold turkey. Everyone is different, I was crabby for awhile. My DH said maybe the doc should put me on drugs. He thought it was my menopause, he didn't understand it was the sugar. When people say they just have a bite of something, I can't imagine doing that. I would eat and eat until it was gone. I stay on a healthy whole foods diet and we now have sweets in the house and I never have that first bite. Good luck. We are all here for you.
sharonrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:15 AM   #6  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I personally think high fructose corn syrup is more addictive than plain sugar. But either way, I find that the more I eat of either, the more I want it. I had to quit cold turkey. I couldn't have began by having one small piece of sugar filled desert a day, for example. I would have eaten the entire desert.

After a year and a half of staying away from sugar, it is a little easier to have a piece of cake (like at Christmas) and then come home where I have no cake, and not go crazy. Although I do crave sweets for a few days afterwards. Does that make sense?

I do use small amounts of Splenda in my diet. So for me, I usually have about a T. of SPlenda in my oatmeal or yogurt in the morning. And I usually have a 35 calorie NSA fudgsicle at night. Also occasionally Sugar Free jelly.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:09 AM   #7  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

I actually did go cold turkey from the sugar, and yes it was rough at first, but the fact that I don't eat processsed foods made it a bit easier since I wasn't getting any so called hidden sources of sugar. After a while I discovered Stevia, a natural plant like mint that is sweeter than sugar without the effects. I use that if I need something a bit sweeter. Some people that eat no sugar say they worry about just the idea of having something sweet, that it may make them crave the real thing. I never experienced that with Stevia, but i'm sure everyone is different. It maybe something you could try to wean yourself off of sugar. It's still something sweet, but not the effect. Good luck!
cantforgetthis is offline   Reply With Quote