Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-09-2007, 02:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Angry I never feel like I'm doing enough.

I eat 1400 calories a day, and I exercise 6 days a week.

I just don't feel like it's enough. Me exercise routine is like this:

M: 30 Mins Treadmill, Upper Body
T: 30 Mins Treadmill, Lower Body
W: 30 Mins Treadmill, Upper Body
Th: 30 Mins Treadmill, Lower Body
F: 30 Mins Treadmill, Upper Body
S: 30 Mins Treadmill, Lower Body
Sn: 30 Mins Treadmill

Is there anything else I can do that will make me feel like I'm actually doing something? Because, right now... I just feel so unaccomplished.

Should I lower my calories? Up my calories? Work out more?

Has anyone else ever felt like this?
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

You're doing a whole heck of a lot more than I am......as I sit here at my desk job. I think you ought to be proud that you're doing so much! The only thing that might make help is to do interval training while on the treadmill. Run for 1 minute, then cool off for 30 seconds and then run for another minute, etc. I've heard that it burns more calories.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:37 PM   #3  

Height: 5'6"

I feel like that all the time. When I was starving at 800 that kept me content, but then I messed up and 800 was then "too much"...and neverI could do was enough for me. Now I'm doing 2,000...and I don't feel like I'm doing enough...but if we stick to it...our results will show us what we HAVE been doing...and I can't wait until I get into activity and eating calories as you're doing!

If you REALLY want go down to 1200 calories...but 200 calories in the long run doesn't add up to much...and you'd mess up your eating schedule if you've been on it awhile...so it isn't worth it.

=) Be patient.
Gamerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

so my question is...why do you feel you aren't doing enough? is it because you aren't loosing wt? too me it seems like you are doing good ((Exercise wise). So why do you feel you aren't doing enough? If you are worried about wt loss and not having any..part might be you are building muscle with the wt training. but also, you may need more calories with all the working out you are doing. 1400 doesn't seem like enough. Also, you really should give yourself at least one day off a week. YOUR BODY NEEDS REST otherwise you could hurt yourself. But remember i'm not a human medical dr/nutritionist. But to me it seems like you aren't giving your body enough. Also, if you've been doing that routine for a while, you body may have become "accustomed" to your cadio. Shake it up...try diffent things that work different muscles like a spinning class, yoga, pilates etc. you would be surprised at the different muscle you work. Cross training and interval training could be very beneficial if you feel as if you are at a "plateau"
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:06 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Sounds like you are doing more than enough... Maybe the problem is that you've been at the same workout for too long and need to change up... If you are doing strictly treadmill for 30 mins, try doing the ellyptical for 20 mins and the treadmill for 20 mins.... Change your intensity go on an incline for a few minutes, go at a faster speed for a few minutes, play mind games with yourself on the treadmill or other machines.

You may need to change your weight trianing a bit too... do some splits, I do a 4 day split, work back and bicep one day, chest and tricep the other day, legs on another day then shoulders and abs the next day, then take a day off and start over the day after with different exercises ...

I feel that our minds need the stimulation and a change and so do our bodies... Good luck and keep us posted on your progress...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/220/154

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
The only thing that might make help is to do interval training while on the treadmill. Run for 1 minute, then cool off for 30 seconds and then run for another minute, etc. I've heard that it burns more calories.
I did this today and it felt really good, as I usually just do fast walking which gets tedious.
sarah1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

here's a couple of places you could look into about what your BMR should be and how much you should eat calorie wise and how much you burn with each exercise. THis may help you figure out what your calorie needs are. Remember for proper wt loss you shouldn't be loosing more that 1-2 pound wt loss a week.
http://health.discovery.com/tools/ca...sal/basal.html
http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

but i really do think you should try different exercises to help keep you and your body in top shape and condition.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:08 PM   #8  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

I, too, think you're doing more than enough ~ if you're feeling unchallenged by the workout you can up the intensity (faster speed / higher incline on the 'mill, heavier dumbbells) - I personally really workout 5 days a week and that's quite enough for me (though since starting, I've upgraded to 10-12 lb. bells from my 5-8 lbs.)

I also think you may be eating too few calories -- even for your goal weight of 130, you'd need at least 1430 Calories just to stay alive, let alone all the exercising that you do. By starving yourself your body may decide to conserve whatever energy reserves (fat) it has and slow down its metabolism to do that.
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:45 PM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Yeah, I think you're doing enough--but maybe your weight loss has stalled? You didn't say.

I exercise 6 days a week, but I use different machines. Treadmill, elliptical (cross trainer), and rowing machine+exercise bike. It gets slightly different groups in a different way. I also do lifting. And, I go for a walk outside for half an hour or so every morning.

I average 1350 cals, and that gives me a weight loss rate of about 1.2 pounds a week. But it's up and down. It stays unmoving, then it drops suddenly. Or sometimes it bounces up suddenly if I eat too much in one day (usually the bounce is a couple days alter) or if my water retention is off.

So, you could also try lowering your calories a little for a couple of days and see if that would jar things loose.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote