Thread: runners
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2007, 10:46 AM   #23
rai

S/C/G: 193/178/140? -->size 6 or 8

Height: 5'7

Hi ladies, this is my first time posting in this runners thread. I ran/walk the Chicago Marathon in October 2006.It was always one of my goals to finish a marathon, and well laste year my husband and I said "let's do it". We started training using Hal Higdon's program, but then we fell behind and decided to do a run/walk program for the marathon. We finished in under 6 hours and I was ecstatic! Oh, yeah we did a couple of other events like the Chicago half (finished that in 2.5 hours) and the Nike 5 mile fun run.

Anyways, here's the question. My research group (I'm a grad student) has decided to register for the Chicago Shamrock Shuffle. Most of the people in my group is doing the 5K (3.1 mile) fitness walk portion, but my advisor wants me to run the 8K (4.97 mile) part with him. I don't know what to do. I have not ran really since the marathon (I've been doing 2.5 miles here and there) and today I hopped on the treadmill to see if I could run 5 miles. Well, I stopped after 2.8 miles and started walking. Then I ran again for about 5 min and walked again and then I ran for about 10 minutes and started walking for about 2 minutes. To make a long story short, it took me 61 minutes to finish and my average pace was 4.9 min/mil (I started off at 5.0 mil).

I have a mental block against running anything over 3 miles. I have run 4 miles straight during my marathon training,but I never did 5 miles. I know my body is able to do it, but mentally I always feel like I need to stop.

Ladies, do you have any advice on what I can do to run 5 miles straight? Do you think I can do it? I don't want to sign up for the run and then stop and my advisor is like "WTF I thought you finished a marathon!". Oh yeah, my advisor is 70 years old, and he said that he will be jogging. He works out 3 times a week though. Maybe I should just sign up for the 3 mil fitness walk and not embarrass myself.

Oh, do ya'll run with an IPOD? I borrowed my husband's IPOD once and it was much cooler to run with than my MP3 player.

Sorry for the long rambling post.
rai is offline   Reply With Quote