Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-06-2007, 04:13 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Default Tired of starving...

So...I've been trying to starve for god know's how long...And I did 800 for a week or so...But I just can't and don't want to starve anymore. In fact, I don't want to diet, and I don't want to count!

I just want to eat normally...I want to eat 3 meals a day and that's it, and not worry...and LOSE WEIGHT!

I am so tired of getting on and off starving. I just have to accept I can't do it like that. Well...I made a list of foods I won't eat for a year...and I want to try to eat whole foods all year...minus the small things like TV dinners and the such.

Does anyone have any tips or meal plans? Or want to show me their grocery list? I am just so tired of dieting...I am just going to start my lifestyle change...and when I am stuck at a plateau, I'll just lower my portions from the usual a little bit. But otherwise, it should be steady weight loss.

Any tips?
Gamerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 04:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Wow.

Starving = hugely bad idea.

I should know, since I did it off and on for 20 years and ended up gaining 60 lbs, going from a 140 lb 15 year old to a 200 lb 35 year old.

Could I lose weight? Sure, at first, but two things ALWAYS HAPPENED.

1. I would restrict until I binged. Then I would feel like a rotten loser, I would hate myself, I would wonder why everyone else could diet and not me. I would give up and start eating my old "normal" way that made me heavy in the first place.

2. I would reach a goal weight and quit. Then, I would start eating my old "normal" way that made me heavy in the first place.

I always gained any weight loss back and then usually gained more weight on top of it. 140 lbs to 200 lbs in 20 years - by dieting.

I had to finally accept that short term, restrictive approach did not lead to long term results. I hated dieting - for me, dieting meant restriction and being hungry and plain baked chicken with ice berg lettuce with fat free Italian dressing. Diets meant a tiny bowl of rice krispies and an orange for lunch - that's it. I always wanted the diet to be OVER so I could just go back to eating "normally" - which meant venti full fat lattes with whipped cream, muffins, nachos, cookies, pizza and Taco Bell.

I finally had an epiphany at the age of 35. My goal was not to LOSE WEIGHT my goal was to LOSE WEIGHT AND KEEP IT OFF. For the first time, I started thinking about a point beyond a goal weight. I looked at all my failed diets and really analyzed my attempts to figure out why I couldn't stick with it - well, it was pretty simple - because I was hungry and miserable!

Thus was born my lifestyle change - to no longer be hungry or miserable. It has been a miracle. I encourage you to read the link to my weight loss journey in my signature, it's pretty long. Basically, I found healthy foods I loved as much as the bad foods I used to love. I love the way I eat now, I feel 100 times better.

I have lost 70+ lbs and in 1 week I will have kept it off for TWO YEARS. It is a miracle.

Buy a food scale, get a handle on portion size. Eat healthy whole foods and avoid junk (this includes tv dinners). Don't go to the store hungry. Plan your meals in advance, make a list, stick to your list. Pack as much as you can in advance, no excuses not to eat healthy foods at your finger tips. Make the house a junk free zone. Move your body. Divide your plate into quarters - 1/2 vegetables, 1/4 healthy carb (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, quinoa, whole wheat pita), 1/4 lean protein (chicken breast, shrimp, tofu), make sure to eat healthy fats (olive oil, salmon, nuts/nut butters, avocado).

Typical day's meals during weight loss -

B - 1/4 cup egg beaters, microwaved, wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla with tons of spinach leaves and salsa

S - package of fresh berries mixed with 1/2 cup non fat plain yogurt

L - huge salad - spinach leaves, grape tomatoes, carrots, chicken, dried cranberries, onions, red pepper strips, non fat dressing on side, nuts/seeds (I make all the salads in advance on sunday, I keep the chicken separate because I like to heat it)

S - fruit

S - tall non fat sugar free latte

S - cut up veggies (grape tomatoes, sugar snap peas, baby carrots, pepper strips) with 1/2 cup home made hummus (bag these up on Sunday night so they are ready to go for lunches)

D - Home made stir fry (tons of vegetables, chicken/shrimp/tofu) over 1/2 cup cooked brown rice (this will probably last 2-3 nights, so I would need to make something else for the other 2-3 nights!)

S - baked apple with blueberries

approximately 1400-1600 calories

Shopping list (for a week of meals like that):

carton of egg beaters
package of spinach leaves
salsa
package of La Tortilla Factory whole wheat tortillas (50 calories each)
berries (I hit the store about every 2-3 days mainly for fresh berries)
plain non fat yogurt
10 oz chicken (cut into 2 oz servings and bagged for salads)
dried cranberries (1/8 cup per salad)
sesame seeds (sprinkle on salad)
low fat/non fat balsalmic vinaigrette dressing
package of baby carrots (for salad, veggie snack, stir fry)
2 containers of grape tomatoes (for salads, veggie snack)
1 red bell pepper (for veggie snack)
2 orange bell peppers (1 for salad, 1 for stir fry)
1 package of sugar snap peas
5 oranges
2 cans of chickpeas (for hummus)
package of sun dried tomato (for hummus, also lemon juice, garlic)
sh.itake mushrooms
ginger
snow peas
package of little shrimp (for stir fry, or pick a protein source you like better)
bok choy
brown rice
stir fry sauce
5 apples
package of frozen blueberries (for baked apple snack)

Last edited by Glory87; 02-06-2007 at 04:41 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 04:38 PM   #3  
Bringin' Sexy Back

S/C/G: 196/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Glory...just had to say it...you are my hero...

Gamerchick...listen to her... And starving...other than making you and your body crazy...does nothing. Your metabolism will be wrecked and your spirit harmed. You deserve better than that...we all do.
Ravengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 04:59 PM   #4  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

DO NOT STARVE YOURSELF - that is a short way to wind up fatter than ever. 800 is dangerously low, especially for someone your age.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravengirl View Post
Glory...just had to say it...you are my hero...
I think she's everyone's hero!!!

I agree with everyone. 800 is too low. It only sets you up for failure. You need a lifestyle change, not a diet. This will have to be something long term for it to work correctly.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:38 PM   #6  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

My grocery list for a given week usually looks like this:

Protein:
Frozen chicken boobs (if I've run out, if not, this isn't on there - a bag usually lasts me three or four weeks)
1 lb ground turkey (most useful meat in the world. Sub it in for ground beef in ANYTHING)
Canned beans to add to salads and meat dishes
Packaged sliced turkey breast for sandwiches/salads
Box of Boca Chik'n patties

Produce:
A few bags of whatever veggies are in season and look fresh
A few bags of frozen mixed veggies
Bananas or apples (whichever's cheaper)

Carbs:
Whole-wheat pitas or tortillas
Whole-wheat english muffins
Whole-wheat spaghetti (again, only if I've run out recently. A package lasts me two or three weeks)
Brown basmati rice

Other:
1/2 lb block of cheddar cheese (only if I've run out; these tend to last me two weeks or more)
Bottle of organic pasta sauce
3 small bars organic dark chocolate (at one or two squares per day, they last all week)
Bottle of organic salsa with garlic
Gallon of 1% milk
Butter (spreadable kine, only every few weeks)
Box of creamy corn and roasted red pepper soup (Trader Joe's brand)

My meals are generally pretty simple. Breakfast is an english muffin, toasted, with a bit of butter and some raspberry preserves. A glass of OJ or milk goes with. Lunches are one of three or four things: a bowl of the corn/pepper soup, with cheddar grated into it; a Chik'n patty on an english muffin with spinach leaves and marinara sauce; reheated turkey chili (homemade!) over brown rice; or a pita/tortilla with sliced turkey, cheddar, and any lettuce I have hanging around. Dinners follow a similarly predictable pattern: chicken stir-fried in shoyu (soy sauce) and garlic with perhaps a bit of fresh ginger grated in, with veggies done the same way, over brown rice or alone; whole-wheat pasta with the organic sauce and some steamed frozen veggies; turkey chili (I make a big batch and fridge the rest for lunches throughout the week) over rice; or any of the things from lunch, or...well, anything I can throw together out of what's on hand. I don't cook from recipes; I improvise.

My average calorie count, when I bother to add it into Fitday (about once or twice a week, max), is around 1300-1700, depending on the day. I usually let myself have a square or two of the dark chocolate after dinner and sometimes after lunch as well. I try to keep almonds around the house for snacking on.

The most important thing, food-wise, is to eat as much NATURAL food as possible. Whole foods. Unprocessed, or as minimally processed as possible. I'm lucky in this; I live in Santa Cruz, California, where the natural/organic/health food stores are positively THICK on the ground. But I imagine you could do most of this anywhere, really.

The biggest concept you have to wrap your head around, though, if you want sustainable weight-loss, is that THIS IS FOR LIFE. This is not "I'm not going to eat my favorite high-fat high-sugar super-processed foods for a few weeks, or months, and then I'll be able to have them again to celebrate losing all this weight!" This is "I'm going to shift the entire way I live my life, so that I can live healthily. With this will come the weight loss. I'm not depriving myself of treats, but I will remember to only have them in moderation." If you can't make this kind of shift, it's likely that you'll either A: not lose the weight, or B: lose it, then gain it all back (plus some probably).

Good luck! You've come to a good place to get support!
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Get ahold of the "YOU on a Diet" book - it explains what happens to your body when you try to starve it. It also tells you how to eat healthy so you CAN lose weight. It's about eating a way you can live with the rest of your life. Nothing "clicked" for me until I read this book, now I understand.
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:01 PM   #8  

The above posters have given some excellent advice! Way to go on your journeys.

Over the years, I have learned to adapt my meal planning and cooking. I still eat what used to be high calorie meals, but have adapted them to lower calorie alternatives with a lot of taste. Yes, I still get hungry sometimes, more than usual, but I have learned to satisfy the hunger with nutrition, rather than junk. (Except for nachos that is, my downfall)

You have to realize that this is a process, not an overnight change. Start by changing one thing, then another, and so on. Search, search, search for new tasty lower calorie recipes and try them out. A lifestyle change is made in small increments.

Also, move, walk, exercise, do some sort of physical activity to burn more calories and to start changing your body shape.
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:16 PM   #9  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Yeah, I've done the starvation mode too. I've made lists of foods that were off limits and refused to eat them. Know what I did first time I had them again? I binged on them. Couldn't get enough. I always gained my weight back double. So I stopped "dieting" and chose to eat healthy instead. I don't have a list of no no foods. I have a list of foods that have become treats and once-in-awhile foods, and a list of daily foods. At 800 cals a day, it's no wonder you're tired...literally.

Groceries I normally go for are:

Cooking spray, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray, Mrs. Dash, low sodium bullion, mustard and soy mayo
Fish, chicken, turkey, tuna, and ham or turkey lunch meats with lowfat cheese
Whole wheat pasta, bagels, wraps and bread, brown rice
Frozen veggies without added salt, fresh salad veggies, sweet potatoes
Fruit...any kind
Yogurt, Super Skim Milk, light cream cheese
Peanut butter and All Fruit spread
100 cal bags of popcorn for when I just want something that makes me think I'm eating sinfully

I don't go wild over trying to eat all whole foods. It's good if someone can do it, but it's just not me. I just try to keep my foods to a healthier side. So I'm more into quick. I do TV dinners...guilty. But I use them more sparingly, and I keep them under a certain calorie range if I'm going to have them at all...usually WW or Healthy Choice. And since I've discovered Kraft Super Mac & Cheese (whole wheat) and Lipton Whole Wheat Alfredo mix, I'm in heaven. It's just that, instead of having mac & cheese several times a week now, I might have it once a week or every other week. If I really want a cheeseburger, I'll get one with mustard instead of mayo to kill some of the cals. If I can though, I generally try to stick with turkey burgers on low carb whole wheat wraps. And at home, I can substitute soy mayo.

I just have decided to not make foods off limits this time, but to keep them in moderation and to substitute those things where I can with healthier alternatives. It must've worked, because (other than a pregnancy in there) I've kept over 100 pounds off now for about 2 1/2 years.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:49 PM   #10  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I definitely would never be able to do 800 calories either. I'm not fond of being hungry. Here's my menu for today.

BF 2 whole wheat pancakes with sugar free strawberry jelly and sugar free syrup and 2 cups of coffee. 1 banana

lunch roast beef sandwich on wheat bread with mustard, baked cheetos and an orange

dinner 1 grilled pork chop, grilled squash, salad with light balsamic vinagrette dressing and 1/2 of a baked sweet potato with 1 teaspoon heart healthy Promise butter.

snack: light popcorn and an apple total calories today 1500
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:06 PM   #11  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Initially, I didn't calorie count or food restrict. I ate all of my same foods as per usual, BUT I tried to ONLY eat when I was truly bodily hungry (as opposed to "head hunger") and I would eat smaller serving sizes.
For example, instead of having an appetizer and a full dinner-sized meal, I would eat half the appetizer and half the meal. This is also a good way to get two meals for the price of one!
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:43 PM   #12  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

another agreement that Starving (a.k.a. anything less than 1,200 calories) = BAD. Like wise for cutting out a whole list of (presumably junky) foods for a year--that's setting the bar a bit high (and itself a setup for failure). Instead, cut out one or two junky things a month and when you do eat them, moderate the portions or make healthier substitutions (e.g. shake 'n bake chicken instead of fried). And try work foods you really enjoy into your diet (5 days out of 7 I squeeze in a small square of dark chocolate in, which keeps me satisfies, drives away the cravings w/o breaking the calorie budget.)
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:05 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Some folks are all or nothing - I am. I cut out all junk food and fast food the day I started and have stayed junk-free since July 2004. I honestly think it was the best choice for my health and I don't regret the decision at all. It is very individual - you have to figure out what's right for you. Some people like the slow approach, some people like everything in moderation, some people like cold turkey.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:56 AM   #14  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

I think Glory's right. I know I'm a moderation type - if someone tries to tell me that I flat-out CAN'T have something, even one thing at a time, I'll freak out and rebel by eating that exact thing in huge amounts. So I tell myself, sure, you can have it, but not right now. And I can put myself off for quite some time, so that I end up only having my fave junk foods once every few weeks, but I'm still happy and don't trigger a binge.

You gotta figure out your pattern.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:59 AM   #15  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

THIS http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6335077.stm is a great article on "starving" and I'd love to watch the programme if I had digital or whatever it's on! Unfortunately for me, the details are sketchy and it would be great if she did an article a month after starving.

Definitely moderation is key. Don't even THINK about cutting out foods, because then you'll want them more. If I say, "I'm not going to have chocolate for a week" I'll end up craving chocolate. But if I don't say that, I can do without chocolate for months! KWIM?

Anyways gotta run...
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote