Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-02-2007, 03:14 AM   #1  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Default Cool Runners - February

I guess I'd better start the new thread.

I did 5k on the treadmill this morning, and I've got to run home at lunchtime to let the alarm maintenance man in, then I'll shower and come back into work to pick up my stuff and work the afternoon. Well, I don't have to run, I could get home other ways, but I worked out that running is probably the easiest way to do it, it's 4 - 5 miles and it takes 20 minutes to walk from here to the bus stop so I may as well run the whole thing by the time I've walked there and waited for the bus to turn up.

Any exciting plans for February? I'm concentrating on trying to build up some endurance, and I've got a half at the end of the month. I'm not sure whether I'll manage to PB again, but I'd like to have a good run.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:40 AM   #2  

I'm having a harder time getting my runs in, but I'm also cranky when they're delayed, so I think I'll make it through this training season! I have a ten miler late March, another late April, and a 25K in May. I've added speedwork, but It's hard to call it that, because I'm no longer fast! I didn't keep a training log last year. I hope this year to be able to watch my speed go up on my log.
MissDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:28 AM   #3  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

I've just done my run home. It worked out at 4.75 miles, and I went the hilly way. I thought it was shorter but hillier, but having run it I'm not sure it's actually any shorter either. Never mind, I got back in time, it's lovely weather, and it makes me feel all smug for the rest of the day!
Old 02-03-2007, 07:52 AM   #4  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

ANOTHER lovely running day today, I could get used to this. Strong sunshine, but frosty and not too warm even in the sun. I managed 14.9 miles in the end, which was roughly on target. I really wanted to give up after about 5 miles, but I pushed through it, took an energy tablet and seemed to be OK after that. I even got up one of the hills I hate most in the world after 10 miles for the first time ever. I'm a bit ahead of my marathon training programme so I'm trying to consolidate at about 15 miles to get comfortable with that before stepping up the mileage a bit more closer to the date.

When you go out running do you have a fixed route in mind? Maybe it's just long runs I do this on, but when I was out there today I changed my mind about 10 times about where I was going. It depends on the weather, how hilly the start of the course is, how I cope with them if it is, whether I run past a route I haven't done for ages and hadn't thought of when planning the run, all sorts. Because I've run most of the routes round where I live by now I can pretty much work out on the run how far I'm going to find a suitable length bit to get back home after about the right mileage. It helps that I have a SDM, but after about 10 miles I was working out a route back home that would be about 5 miles from where I was, and I was almost spot on. I suppose it wouldn't be the best safety wise if I'd told someone where I was going before I set out but *oops* I never do that because I don't actually have anyone to tell. Which is why I only run on my own during the day, and I take my mobile with me...
Old 02-03-2007, 11:05 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Ok, so maybe running is not for me... I went for the 3-mile group run today and I had to take several walk breaks, which was ok...but then I tripped on an uneven sidewalk and pretty much busted my cheekbone up. I have a huge bruise and swelling all around my eye and I just figured out that I chipped my front tooth as well. Pretty awful, really. Quite discouraging. I know it's just an accident, could happen to anyone, but it seems like this sort of thing always happens when I get excited about something and it's hard not to be discouraged by it.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:48 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Oh, Lisa, that's terrible ... Don't let it side track you though, it IS only an incident, hang in there ...

Helen, thank you for starting the February thread.... This week when I started the Exercise Accountabity one I wanted to start the Runners thread too but I got side tracked...

My last run was on Thursday, it was fabulous... I love this cold weather running!!

Tomorrow I do 8k... Did I tell you guys I am doing the Half Marathon training just for the fun of it... Yea, I'm not the competitive type, but I do feel like running, so I thought I'd try it...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:45 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 275/137/140

Height: 5'7"

Oh LisaMarie, I am sorry to hear of your accident. It's exactly the kind of thing I would do - I am not exactly known for my natural grace, and have a friend who is always warning me to be careful when I'm running and the roads are wet, I'm tired, etc. Hope the damage heals quickly.

Doesn't it seem like the title of this thread is a little too on point in the cold weather? Brrr - I made it out today for 3 miles, but it was darned cold (3 degrees). I hate the treadmill, but I'm not sure I'm up for anymore outdoor fun until things improve around here.
WindyCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:40 PM   #8  

Height: 5'7"

Lisa, I'm so sorry that you fell. I hope you feel better soon. FWIW, I've done the same thing (without the chipped tooth) and lived to tell about it. This year the winner of the Chicago marathon fell just before the finish line. It happens to all of us.

Still no running but I did ride my bike for about 45 minutes today, my first non-walking exercise since the half. Felt good. I'm planning to try run/walk this week and see how it goes--nausea and dizziness seem to be calming down, and my OB's only restriction (so far) is not to ski. No problem with that.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 02:53 AM   #9  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

Lisa, I've fallen too, right near the end of a 12.5 mile run in the dark and pouring rain, and I ended up hobbling back with blood coming out of my knee until I realised I wanted to get back as quickly as possible and started running again. YOu just have to get back up and carry on.

I'm not running today, I've been ill overnight so I'm taking a rest day in the hope it clears up.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:21 PM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

Just came back from running 4.62m/7.44k in blistery -21c with the windchill, the side walks were not plowed because it's sunday and we had a bit of snow over night... took me 1h02m ... I had it up to here with running by the end... My lungs are sore... Now at 3pm I'm going for a :swimming: ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 05:07 PM   #11  

Thanks so much for all the encouraging comments! I'm taking today off and I'm hoping to do a run after work tomorrow with my sister-in-law, though it's supposed to be 20 degrees or something (ugh!)... I think this may not have been so hard if it hadn't come right at the end of a week when I was too sick to stay on track with my workouts -- the sickness and the fall together just felt very discouraging to me. I'm ok, though -- just a bit broken, but still intact!

Anyway, thanks for always encouraging and inspiring me.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:32 PM   #12  

Well, I got back on the horse today, as they say. I ran 3 miles when I got home today, even though I really didn't want to in the 25-degree weather! It was tough, but at least I didn't fall on my face this time!
Old 02-06-2007, 03:08 PM   #13  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

I've been ill for the past few days, but I managed just over 5 miles today. I ran home from work along the bus route so I knew that I could always stop and get the bus if I started to struggle, but I made it back OK. I always like it when I can get back to exercising

I've also entered another two races today. I sometimes worry that I'm far too organised and plan too far in advance to be able to make spontaneous plans, but a lot of the races round me sell out far too quickly to hang around waiting to make a decision. So now I have races every few weeks until the middle of July. That should keep me focussed for a while yet (until mara training starts again for Amsterdam at least!). The two I entered today were both 10ks in summer, a bit of a step down in distance after Edinburgh before I start building up again.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:42 PM   #14  

I ran 2.5 miles on the treadmill today. Pretty slow pace still, but I'm still getting over this cough and I don't think I should step it up anytime soon. Hope I'm ready for the 3-mile group run this Saturday, as I screwed up the one last Saturday!!
Old 02-07-2007, 04:41 PM   #15  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

Take it easy while you recover from the cough. I'm in that situation too and my run today was pretty hard. I went out with running club and managed just under 6 miles but declined the slightly longer route. It's really cold here, I'm just glad I managed to get out before the forecast snow arrives.