Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 09:06 PM   #1  
Meg

Default Working Out — And Gaining Weight?

Last edited by Meg; 11-27-2016 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:57 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Meg that is a very good article, thanks for posting it... I like it so much I made it a sticky ...
Old 02-28-2006, 05:27 PM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

That's such a great article! Thanks so much!
Old 06-28-2006, 12:24 PM   #4  
Wannabe Loser

S/C/G: 210/205/150

Height: 5'9

It is also very possible that this person is weight training and gaining muscle mass but still dropping fat. Their figure can still change dramatically, however, their weight will either increse or stay the same. This is why BMI calculators can be wrong in their calculations.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:29 PM   #5  

Height: 5'7"

A great article Meg! One other thing that most people don't think about when they start exercising is the role of water in their weight. It is so easy to lose weight from dehydration, or gain it when your muscles are sore and swollen. I'm always 2 lbs up after leg day, about 2 lbs down after a hot run, and you guys know how obsessive I am about tracking these things. Water fluctuations come and go quickly, a day or two maybe, but seeing a quick spike or drop can scare a person if they aren't expecting it.

Hydrate!

Anne
Old 06-29-2006, 03:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/152/123

Height: 5'1"

I am really interested in weight training to strengthen my bones and tone up to look/feel fit. But I have a question: Should one wait until they're closer to goal before weight lifting? I'm still about 10-15 pounds to goal and I'm pretty obsessed with the scale right now. Since I'm getting closer to goal, it is a very sloooow process. I am currently walking/running (C25K program) every other day for 30-45 minutes and on alternate days do a Denise Austin etc video which works all muscles by using body weight (ie crunches, leg lifts, arm bends, tush tighteners, etc). I was planning on continuing with this schedule until I finish the C25K program that I am currently doing which is another six weeks, if I stay on plan. This should also bring me about 10 pounds from goal at that time. Any advice or suggestions?
Old 06-29-2006, 11:57 PM   #7  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I don't see why anyone should wait to do weight training at all. I think that doing it all during weight loss only benefits you.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:38 PM   #8  
Im SERIOUS this time!!!

S/C/G: 235/207/160

Height: 5'3

This is exactly my problem. I loss 16 pounds then gained 3 back. But I can feel more muscles but Im gaining weight
Old 08-14-2006, 06:35 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by softballmom View Post
I am really interested in weight training to strengthen my bones and tone up to look/feel fit. But I have a question: Should one wait until they're closer to goal before weight lifting? I'm still about 10-15 pounds to goal and I'm pretty obsessed with the scale right now. Since I'm getting closer to goal, it is a very sloooow process. I am currently walking/running (C25K program) every other day for 30-45 minutes and on alternate days do a Denise Austin etc video which works all muscles by using body weight (ie crunches, leg lifts, arm bends, tush tighteners, etc). I was planning on continuing with this schedule until I finish the C25K program that I am currently doing which is another six weeks, if I stay on plan. This should also bring me about 10 pounds from goal at that time. Any advice or suggestions?
I really do think that you should incorporate weight training now, eventhough you may or may not gain a pound or two OR it may make getting to your goal slower but the extra muscle will help your running and endurance and you'll have great looking legs ... Plus when you lose more fat your muscles will show through everywhere and this will look much better in the end.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:12 AM   #10  
cheenamom

S/C/G: 249.8/196.2/150

Height: 5ft.4in.

i find that the more often i work out are the weeks that i have a gain at the scale....what's up with that?
Old 08-17-2006, 09:01 AM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by wndranne View Post
A great article Meg! One other thing that most people don't think about when they start exercising is the role of water in their weight. It is so easy to lose weight from dehydration, or gain it when your muscles are sore and swollen I'm always 2 lbs up after leg day, about 2 lbs down after a hot run, .and you guys know how obsessive I am about tracking these things. Water fluctuations come and go quickly, a day or two maybe, but seeing a quick spike or drop can scare a person if they aren't expecting it.
Hydrate!

Anne
cheenamom -- As Anne mentions there are so many variables and factors that make us fluctuate also included in there is TOM... Just keep exercising and doing what's right, with PATIENCE EVENTUALLY the scale WILL go down...
Old 08-17-2006, 09:28 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 165/152/123

Height: 5'1"

Thanks Ilene for your post of encouragement (and Meg for the original post).

I just started lifting weights and probably should have started sooner . It seemed like I woke up one day recently and was "okay" about my weight (ie scale) since I was seeing improvement with my energy, appearance, and health charts (dropped my cholesterol to normal range!). I still have about 10lbs to go for ideal, but nice and easy will get me there. And what motivates me now with WT is that when I do get there my body will be firm and strong! You, Meg, Mel, and a few others have really inspired me to incorporate this activity into my lifestyle - thanks to everyone!
Old 10-16-2006, 02:22 AM   #13  
Working on new me in '07!

S/C/G: 293/293/253

Height: 5 foot!

Question Question about the Calories!!!

Where can you find out how many calories you should eat a day to help you lose weight?

I am interested in trying this method and would love to try this as another goal!

If someone could maybe point me in the right direction, that would be great!

TIA!!

Erika Leigh
Old 10-16-2006, 05:16 PM   #14  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Hi Erika Leigh!
This thread has lots of help for you...they say it way better than I was gonna.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:52 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Bump.
Closed Thread