Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-29-2007, 12:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220 / 180/ 160

Height: 5'8"

Default Anyone have any simple vegee ideas???

and I am asking for SIMPLE! lol...

thing is - I really like the small (2 serving size - which for me is really only 1) cans of del monte vegees I buy at the grocery store. Normally it's:

Spinach
Corn
Peas
Carrots
Green Beans

I like adding them to my lunch so I can get my vegees in and have more "substance" to my lunch - plus I just like vegees! lol

My question is this...do any of you have any good recipe - spices, sauces, condiments, etc...that I can add to any of those so they're not always plain?

For example - my spinach I LOVE with vinegar & a tbsp of low fat feta cheese (1 weight watcher point for the cheese).

But I'm really looking for other EASY ideas - being that I take these with me to WORK and I've only got the microwave here...nothing fancy - just something to add taste to my vegees. Thanks!!
Indychick829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I love "roasting" veggies. I'll put them in a bowl or ziploc bag and spray with a little cooking spray or a teaspoon of oil, and toss to coat. Then I'll add garlic powder and ranch dressing mix (the dry stuff - I buy it in bulk from a spice and seasoning store), toss again and bake at 425 degrees until soft and tender.

My favorite done this way is eggplant, mushrooms, onions, & bell pepper
(eat as a side, toss with pasta, or mash into a dip in the food processor).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:26 AM   #3  
it's always something

I'm a roaster, too Though you usually need to start with fresh veggies, not canned. I toss them with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar, or olive oil and Worcestershire sauce. I love eggplant, onions, zucchini with balsamic. I toss frozen whole green beans with olive oil, Worcestershire, and black pepper and roast it till it's kind of shriveled.

You can roast at home and reheat them in the microwave at work.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:18 AM   #4  

Good point, I never even thought to mention canned probably wouldn't work well. Though I have heard that you can roast canned chick peas and other beans like this, even to the point that they get kind of crispy. Have never tried it though.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:26 AM   #5  
Just Do It!

theres a spanish dish that I do all the time- spinach and chickpeas with a little white balsamic / white wine vinaigrette and crushed garlic, and chilli. yum yum. I think this could be good for you too cause their both canned.

Also, lemon juice and fresh herbs are yummo on most veggies!!
chimichanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:44 PM   #6  
hara hachi bu

I mostly use fresh vegetables, so I don't know much about what to do with canned ones. It would be good for me to start using canned once in a while, so I'm going to watch this thread to get ideas.

I agree with chimi on adding lemon juice as flavoring to most vegetables. Yum! I also like sprinkling dill or mint on carrots, and maybe some slivered almonds on green beans.

I am a veggie roaster, too! I roast a whole pan of them (with olive oil and balsamic vinegar) and take them as a side dish to reheat at work.

What else do you usually have with your canned veggies for lunch?
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:17 PM   #7  
Just Do It!

HEY I thought of another idea- which i totally adore- is salsa. Like your dorito-dippin kind- the fat free stuff is really great- just mix it with your veggies and voila!! Is good cold or warm too. Plus its just more veggies!

Another thing I tend to add to veggies is low fat sour cream- not alot just a little goes a long way when I want something creamy!! (which tends to happen alot )
chimichanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:25 PM   #8  

One of my favorite veggie dishes is green beans in tomato sauce. My grandmother used to make it as a side dish and serve it on mashed potatoes. I use less bacon and serve it on a baked potato as a meal instead of a side dish.

saute
1 or 2 slices of bacon, minced fine
1 medium onion

until onion is soft and bacon is cooked, but not crisp

add

1 can of tomato sauce with a pinch of sweetener
or
1 can of tomato paste, a tsp of vinegar, and 1 can of water

simmer until bubbly and flavors have a chance to blend a bit - maybe a few minutes

Add 1 can of french style green beans. Simmer until beans are hot.

Serve over a baked potato.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:08 PM   #9  
Pending Email Confirmation

for fast and lazy... i like to use canned or frozen green beans and put a little bit of balsamic vinegar on them and microwave. I love the flavor combo.

Usually I just sprinkle my veggies with a bit of sea salt to bring out the flavor.
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote