Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-26-2007, 04:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

Default Problem!Looking younger since weight loss.Am I crazy?

I'm 30 years old, and I think people are constantly assuming I'm much younger. hadn't really connected the weight loss with looking younger, until my mother mentioned it to me recently. Then, I realized that much more often in the last year, than ever before, people have been treating me like I'm not 30. A few examples:

1) I went to get my car fixed...they greeted me with "Hello, young lady." This "young lady" thing happens very, very often.
2) I went to an opening of a grocery store yesterday...every other customer was asked if they wanted a sample of wine...the workers didn't even look me in the eyes, and never asked me if I wanted some.
3) I went with my dad to look at a car he was thinking of buying, and the salesman told me, "It's great, you'll have lots of fun plugging your Ipod into the outlet in the back seat."
4) People are constantly asking me if I'm "in school". Sometimes they mean college, sometimes they mean high school.

I work in a profession where looking young is not exactly a positive thing, and I'm getting ready to start a new job. I'm also starting to get annoyed by being treated as a much younger person. I feel like I don't get the respect that I should at my age. Am I crazy??!!!
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Except for the wine thing (LOL) I know I'd appreciate looking younger! But I am 13 years older than you. But that ipod in the backseat, that's just weird.

I don't think you're crazy, though. It is hard to be taken seriously if you don't look the part. On the other hand, it's nice to have a softness rather than a sternness--there are a lot of people that when trying to assert themselves come across as witchy when they're just trying to be strong.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 05:13 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Gosh, try to enjoy it!

I don't know what line of work you're in, of course, but you can always "dress older" if you are worried about looking too young.

It will pass soon enough.

Cheers!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 05:16 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't know, I've always gotten things where people thought I was younger than I am. I remember being 25 and being carded for a lottery ticket. I thought losing weight might actually make me look older.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 05:41 PM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara D View Post
I'm 30 years old, and I think people are constantly assuming I'm much younger. hadn't really connected the weight loss with looking younger, until my mother mentioned it to me recently. Then, I realized that much more often in the last year, than ever before, people have been treating me like I'm not 30. A few examples:

1) I went to get my car fixed...they greeted me with "Hello, young lady." This "young lady" thing happens very, very often.
2) I went to an opening of a grocery store yesterday...every other customer was asked if they wanted a sample of wine...the workers didn't even look me in the eyes, and never asked me if I wanted some.
3) I went with my dad to look at a car he was thinking of buying, and the salesman told me, "It's great, you'll have lots of fun plugging your Ipod into the outlet in the back seat."
4) People are constantly asking me if I'm "in school". Sometimes they mean college, sometimes they mean high school.

I work in a profession where looking young is not exactly a positive thing, and I'm getting ready to start a new job. I'm also starting to get annoyed by being treated as a much younger person. I feel like I don't get the respect that I should at my age. Am I crazy??!!!

Well first off...30 is a young lady...lol

I used to have that problem flying business. I would often get upgraded to the exit row and several times in front of colleagues I was asked if I was old enough to sit there. (you have to be SIXTEEN)

If it is a problem professionally, look at how you wear your hair/clothes and makeup and see if you can "age" yourself that way.

In the rest of your life....enjoy it while it lasts. I hardly ever get carded anymore...snifff.sniffff
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 06:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 176/129/129

Height: 5' 6.5"

I'm older than you, but have occasionally experienced the same types of things. Even with my now 12- and 7-year-old children! I would say it ALWAYS happens based on the way I'm dressed. If I have my hair in a ponytail and no make-up... I'm 'young'. If I have heels on, make-up, etc... I am treated more my age. I would definitely attribute it far more to your clothes, make-up, and jewelry than to your weight loss. I have experienced both ends of the spectrum (treated my age and treated much younger) at all different sizes!
SlimLindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 06:44 PM   #7  
Doughnut

S/C/G: 161.4/158.6/130

Height: 5'5.5"

I've always looked younger than I am but I'm pleased about this. As suggested above I'd absolutely look at your hair.
Doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 06:51 PM   #8  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Since losing wt. I have had people think I am younger than I am. I'm 46 yrs. old. A lady at the pharmacy couldn't believe I had grandkids, when I picked up a presciption for one of them. Of course, at my age, I enjoy it if someone thinks I'm younger than I am.

Last summer me and DH had our 2 yr. old grandson at the lake and a man started calling us "mom and dad" to the grandson. We had to explain that we were the grandparents. I loved it.

I've also had people say "you must have started having kids really young". No, I was 26 with first one and 32 with second one.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:02 PM   #9  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

What you do is perfect "The Look". It's that look that says, without a single word being spoken, "You are obviously mentally deficient, and also probably blind. Don't you dare treat me like that again; I will END you if you do." It really helps if you can do the raising-one-eyebrow trick, too.

Once I find my camera, I'll get a pic of me doing that Look. Cause I am DARNED good at it.

If you do it right...it's kinda fun to watch people backpedaling. Or you could give them the Look, wait a moment, then say very coolly "Excuse me?" And just see what they say.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:51 AM   #10  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

People almost always think that I am younger than I am; sometimes by ten years. When my mom was in her 30's, she was still getting carded at bars (the drinking age was 18) and once wasn't allowed in because she didn't have ID on her. She was over 30 at the time. She was also crazy thin--so thin my Dad could put his hands around her waist and have his fingers and thumbs touch--so I'm sure that was part of it.

Professionally, I've always found that if I behave in a professional manner and have intelligent things to say, the fact that people think I am several years younger than I am doesn't matter. This was true ten years ago and it's still true now. I also wear fairly conservative suits and styles, a lot of black, and I avoid pastels (at least professionally); part of it is that I feel more confident in black but I'm also convinced that people take you more seriously when you wear black. How you dress and wear your hair and make-up definitely influences how people treat you.

Unfortunately, I think weight loss has aged me. I see fine wrinkles in my face that I swear weren't there before. Ten years ago, I would have been thrilled, but now I'm at an age where I'd really like people to think I'm younger than I am (heck, I'd really like to BE younger than I am--I do not know how I got to this age; I swear, last year I was 25). So I gotta agree with some of the other posters; I know it's frustrating at times but try to enjoy it while you can; it definitely isn't going to last forever and I know I'm going to miss it when it's gone. My mom aged overnight and it's clear my day is coming too.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote