Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-26-2007, 12:58 PM   #1  

Unhappy Still lacking motivation (caution: depressing)

OK, I have at least started exercising again (after gaining all the 5 lbs in just 10 days due to back injury. The 5 lbs which I had struggled to lose for last 6 months) I just need to vent! (This post is not intended to affect motivation of others, its just how I am feeling these days)

I still feel down and frustrated and am somewhat convinced I will never win the battle against my own body
Just feel like the world is unfair and no matter how hard I try I will still be back to Ground Zero!

To add to it, I read on the National Weight registry that more than 65% of all Americans are overweight and/or obese and 85% of them are UNABLE to maintain their weight loss for over 5 years. Its an epidemic now.
The rest 35% who are "THIN" think of us 65% as lazy, unattractive and overeaters. Are really ALL 65% of us lazy? May be we are just born with badluck and no matter how hard we try (and I know we all try really really hard) we can never be off of our weight or if we do, then maintain it longterm. I read about all of us who eat healthy, exercise and do it day and night but no-one thinks of how hardworking and sincere we are. When we lose a few lbs and gain it gain it again, we still are the lazy 65%!

I do think we all struggle hard, harder than most of those 35%. We follow strict diets, helping eachother to curb our cravings, not drinking that favorite mocha or latte and if we once in a blue moon, we feel as guilty as though we have committed a crime or something! 35 % can drink it without even thinking twice or eating a whole bowl full of candy when they are sad! Why can't we do that without feeling more sad....

I feel ashamed of undressing in the Gym locker room even if I know I may be the best person there by heart. Or even worse, majority of the 65% suffer from confidence and self-esteem issues all our life even though we may be the best and most kind-hearted people by heart.

Are we just supposed to keep struggling all over lives, curbing our cravings and then the long struggle could just be a waste when we gain it all back in 1/10th the time if we took a break...??? It happened to me several times and it has happened to all 65% too.

It just feels like a never ending journey to me even though i have started running again.
willmakeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I am a firm believer that venting is healthy. Vent away!!!

It is hard to keep that motivation that we need to reach our goals. But if we didn't have goals in life, what would we be doing? It doesn't have to be weight related goals, either. You have to have something to strive for, regardless of how easy or hard the goal is to achieve. Some goals will be easier for people to reach than others, but we all need to those goals to stay focused.

I'm so sorry to hear about your injury. I hope you heal quickly and can get back to running.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:15 PM   #3  
Philippians 4:13

S/C/G: 239/218/139

Height: 5'2.5"

I do know how you feel. I have or had many of the same thoughts as you. I think this will be a never-ending journey. I've been trying to focus on health and not pounds or weight so much. Yeah maybe that 35% can eat and drink what they want, but is that bowl of candy really healthy? Plus many naturally slim people eat naturally healthy varied and balanced diets, not all but some.

I hope you are feeling better soon and find your motivation again.
rdhdgrl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:21 PM   #4  

Willmakeit, sounds like you're having a rough time of it. But I think your came to the right place. It does seem like a neverending struggle sometimes, but some days are a little easier.
As for the 65% and the 35%. We may be part of the 65%, but you know that the "thinnner" 35% has thier own issues. No one I know is baggage free. Don't let yourself get wrapped up in all that. You know what your issue is and your working on it. The "35"% might have it even harder than we do with whatever problems they are dealing with. Thin does not equal happy.
Gogirl008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:41 PM   #5  
prepare for the BEST time

Please don't compare yourself to Ground Zero....that's the term used for the WTC Towers from 9/11/01.

I'm going to go out on alimb here and suggest that you step away from the scale, focus on feeling good and being ABLE to exercise and enjoy what you are doing for yourself. Why do you compare yourself to other ladies in the gym (who are also working hard) and to some statistics on a National Weight Registry Survey?

yes, it's hard and I get P.O.ed too if something doesn't fit right and I can't eat chocolate with wild abandon when I want to.

But You (and I) are fortunate enough to be able to get up every morning and we are healthy enoughwork out.....MANY PEOPLE WOULD LOVE TO and can't! (Like those who were destroyed at Ground Zero)....think about it and you may feel more positive that your life is a gift.

best of luck and don't give up.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:18 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Vent away, gal! It really is frustrating at times. I'm glad you could get that out. I've felt the "unfairness" of it all many times. But fair or not, here we are. Bummer, man, brings me down!

Guess I'll go for a walk or something.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 05:31 PM   #7  

Thanks for understanding how I felt. I am feeling better after writing that down and marbleflys, I agree with your point about people who are sick or disabled and cant wake up to a good day!

I think I should try to get my energy back and keep trying without expecting any rewards.
willmakeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 06:09 PM   #8  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

It is very helpful to me to measure other goals, try if you can to focus on some other aspect for awhile. Put the scale away and train for a race or set some fitness goal that isnt scale related. I'm not saying abandon the diet side, but make the REASON not weight.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:47 PM   #9  
I restore Teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogirl008 View Post
Willmakeit, sounds like you're having a rough time of it. But I think your came to the right place. It does seem like a neverending struggle sometimes, but some days are a little easier.
As for the 65% and the 35%. We may be part of the 65%, but you know that the "thinnner" 35% has thier own issues. No one I know is baggage free. Don't let yourself get wrapped up in all that. You know what your issue is and your working on it. The "35"% might have it even harder than we do with whatever problems they are dealing with. Thin does not equal happy.

It's true. While you may envy the 35%, the 35% aren't trouble free. While weight may not be an issue, they may as well have others!

While I'm sorry that you might not be happy with your body now, rest assured if you keep up with what you are doing, you'll be a part of the 35% in no time , really.
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 10:49 PM   #10  
I restore Teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbleflys View Post
Please don't compare yourself to Ground Zero....that's the term used for the WTC Towers from 9/11/01.
Yeah, i think the best term to be used would be "square one"!
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote