Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-25-2007, 11:00 PM   #1  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

Default A pack a day...

...of gum. Sugarless, of course. Sugarless original flavor Trident. I'm dead serious; I really do go through about a pack a day. On the plus side, it keeps me from eating so much, and makes water taste all minty, which helps me drink more. But I'm wondering if it's *bad* for me. The nutrition info says less than 5 cal per piece.

I guess I'm just uncertain if I should be chewing SO MUCH gum.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 233/183/153

Height: 5ft 7"

Hi, if it's doing you so much good then it can't be bad thing in my view! The only thing you have to be aware of it's not so good if you have receding gums (i read that on the internet somewhere lol). Personaly I'd carry on with it as we all need our crutches.
rowanrowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:33 PM   #3  
Resident Witchling

Receding gums? I wonder why that is...I guess I was just thinking, everything in moderation, you know? But yeah.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:36 PM   #4  

My kid's dentist actually recommended the kids chew sugarless gum -- that it helps clean their teeth. I suppose unless you swallow all that gum, it can't hurt!!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:09 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 233/183/153

Height: 5ft 7"

when my mum gave up smoking she got a slight addiction to gum and in the end her jaw was seizing up and painful -she just had to go through gum withdrawel! Now she's on her diet as she went back to food - it's like a never ending circle of having to give things up sometimes isn't it?!
rowanrowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:14 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Gum makes me hungry, I can't chew it or else I'll be starving and looking for food.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:32 AM   #7  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

Gum is a tool for me. I put it in my mouth when I'm done with dinner to help me not "clean off" plates as I clear the kitchen as I used to hate to throw the stuff away. It's not hurting anyone to throw it away, but it's hurting me to not throw it away! I will also chew a piece of gum if I have the munchies. Many times you just want something to chew, but you're not actually hungry. I say, stock up on the gum!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:42 AM   #8  
MeoW

S/C/G: 275/215/160

Height: 5'7

I LOVE gum, i probably chew a pack a day as well, but somedays i have to take a break from it because my jaw does get really sore, but it really helps me stop munching, especially when im cooking food.
cupcake84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 05:23 PM   #9  

Okay, so I'm really bad!! I've given up gum for lollipops -- just one or two a day just on the days when I really need something -- they last a while and give me my sugar high!!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 05:47 PM   #10  
Resident Witchling

Quote:
Many times you just want something to chew, but you're not actually hungry.
I think that's what it is. I have a total oral fixation - not THAT way, dirty minds! - and I am forever chewing on SOMETHING. My fingers...my pencil...my lips...the mouth of my water bottle...the cap of said water bottle...anything, really. So I guess better gum than food! Cause I don't swallow the gum.

Thanks for your input, guys!
Old 01-26-2007, 05:56 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
I think that's what it is. I have a total oral fixation - not THAT way, dirty minds! - and I am forever chewing on SOMETHING. My fingers...my pencil...my lips...the mouth of my water bottle...the cap of said water bottle...anything, really. So I guess better gum than food! Cause I don't swallow the gum.

Thanks for your input, guys!
And it's probably even better for your teeth if you have tendency to chew on other things that could damage them. I LOVE sugarless Extra----watermelon is my new favorite! I actually have to be careful of my tongue getting raw........I love the cinnamon flavors too, but my tongue will start to burn if I chew too much!
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote