WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Old 01-19-2007, 05:34 PM   #1  
wannabethinner

Question Tofu Shirataki, Noodle Shaped Tofu

Has anyone tried these.... they are zero points.

The reviews that I have read are mixed. Some complain of a strong smell but the manufacturer says that if you rinse them and par boil them, there will be no smell.

Any info is appreciated
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:10 PM   #2  
Cutieshirl

I have heard about these as well and about the odor too, too chicken to try it, maybe its an acquired taste? I might get the nerve one day, but not too crazy about soy as I am hypo and that seems to be a no-no for us types.
cutieshirl40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:16 PM   #3  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

They do have a peculiar smell when you first open the bag. After rinsing them well, the smell is gone, and they have no taste. They are a bit slimy in texture, but I don't find that offensive. I'd rather have that than a mealy texture. Yes, I recommend them. I had them with a stroganoff kind of sauce and really liked it. I will definitely buy them again. I think they would be very good in an asian style noodle dish.
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 159/159/130

Height: 5'3"

Thumbs up

I love them! I actually had them for lunch today, just with marinara sauce and parmesan. I rinse them very thouroughly and boil them for about 5 minutes and the odor disappears. They are more chewy and slimy than regular noodles, but for zero points the trade-off is way worth it!
mariew21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 11:19 AM   #5  

I've been wondering about these too. Thanks for the positive replies I think I'll buy some this weekend. I LOVE pasta, but the points are so high even on wheat pasta.
simone1ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:32 PM   #6  
wannabethinner

Thanks for all of the responses....

For the people that buy them... where did you get them??

I've seem them online but the shipping is so expensive that I'd rather go find them.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:38 PM   #7  
breakfast rebel

I found them in a natural foods store and also in a major supermarket. They are refrigerated, in the section that has tofu and other kinds of Asian noodles.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:50 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 220 / 180/ 160

Height: 5'8"

I've seen them - really would like to buy them...and have heard you have to "par-boil" them.

not to sound stupid - but really - how do you "par-boil" something?

also - what are your fave recipes with these noodles?

TIA!!
Indychick829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:51 PM   #9  
breakfast rebel

I just made this on Saturday:

In a bowl, combine about 2 Tbsp rice vinegar, about 2 Tbsp chopped sushi ginger (the pickled stuff) about 1 Tbsp soy sauce and if you have it, a little bit other kind of Chinese sauce you might like, like hoisin sauce, and a chopped jalapeno, and 3-4 thinly sliced scallions. And about 1/3 cup chopped cilantro.
Let that all marinate for about 15 minutes or so.
Smash up a couple cloves of garlic and saute them in a pan with about a teaspoon of dark sesame oil. Then add the marinated stuff and about 8 oz. sliced mushrooms. You can add other sliced vegetables if you like - carrots and/or celery are good. Then add about a half pound of shrimp. I used the pre-cooked frozen kind. Let it cook for a few minutes and add about 1/4 cup water mixed with about a tablespoon of cornstarch to thicken. Add the well rinsed Shirataki noodles.

I didn't parboil the noodles, but I rinsed them well with hot water.

Parboiling just means you put them in a pot of boiling water for a short time - for noodles like this I would think they mean for a minute or so, but it isn't really necessary.

Last edited by Spinymouse; 01-30-2007 at 12:25 AM. Reason: I forgot about the cilantro!
Old 01-30-2007, 05:48 PM   #10  
si, si signora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Thanks for all of the responses....

For the people that buy them... where did you get them??

I've seem them online but the shipping is so expensive that I'd rather go find them.
TJ's has them. I bought a bag a few months ago and recently parted with it. Maybe I'll try again.

Maybe not.
lalala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 04:11 PM   #11  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

I like them alot. The smell isnt overly offensive....just dont stick your nose in the bag, and your fine. Ive tossed mine in a frying pan with a bit of spray butter, and I really like a bit of browning done to them. I find them very filling too. Ive used them any way I would use regular noodles.

If you have a wegmans near you, they carry them now, over by the refridgerated fresh pasta section.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:26 PM   #12  

Location: Ft Campbell KY/Clarksville TN - studying in Vancouver BC

S/C/G: 220/113/100

Height: 5'5''

Quote:
If you have a wegmans near you, they carry them now, over by the refridgerated fresh pasta section.
Oooh, yay! However, the closest Wegman's also happens to be right next to the closest California Pizza Kitchen. That will only lead to disaster
Tristesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 01:17 PM   #13  
wannabethinner

I still haven't been able to find them in the stores I am going to go to whole foods tomorrow which is about 30 minutes away from me. I hope they have them there.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:57 AM   #14  
wannabethinner

I finally found them I haven't tried them yet, but I am excited about it!!
Old 01-14-2008, 06:18 PM   #15  

Height: 5'6"

I LOVE them! We can actually get these locally in Fargo. (Go figure!) After I squeeze the liquid out, I put them in a plastic strainer and put this in a bowl and then I microwave this setup for a minute. After taking this out of the microwave, I use a paper towel to squish more liquid through the strainer. Then I add the noodles to a sauce pan with spaghetti sauce and heat this up on low for about 30-45 minutes. The noodles really absorb the flavor of the sauce.

I think the fettuccine noodles have the least rubbery texture. They are nice and thin.

Kimberly
KimberlyinMN is offline   Reply With Quote