South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 12:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 166

Height: 5 foot 4

Default Phase 1- pretty discouraged and confused... quesitons...

Hi, I am hoping some of you who have been on the diet/know a lot about it might be able to help...

1a)I have been on the diet without cheating for a week (a week and a half if you include my mess-ups) and I've only lost a pound- this is very discouraging. Will my weight loss be even slower when I move on to phase 2?
1b) I have read various types of things about possible body types and weight loss, I am definitely 'pear shaped' with a large chest- would a different diet be better for me, or are pear-shaped people doomed to very, very slow weight loss?

2) I messed up my 1st 3 days of phase 1- there was sugar in a rub that I put on chicken, that I didn't know about. I don't know if this means I Should extend phase 1 or not by the amount of days messed up?

3) Anyone also notice- in a lot of turkey/ham deli meat, they <b>all</b> have sugar, corn starch, dextrose, or another 'ose'in the ingredients now! I tried to pick the ones that have the lowest 'sugars' on the labels, but not sure what to do about this/if this is an issue since it is in the diet...

Old 01-25-2007, 01:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 300/298/195

Height: 5'11"

These are very good questions. I just started Phase 1 on 1/23/07. So far so good. First day was hard.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:39 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Why not join the other Phase I chicks on the Phase I thread in this Forum. There's lots of mutual support and sharing of ideas there.

My ideas on the questions:
1a)Weightloss varies depending on amount you have to lose, how many other times you've dieted and your time of the month. Some chicks lose more in the second half of Phase I. Phase II weightloss is generally slower but it does happen.
1b) Well, it may be slow but it will be healthy weightloss. I don't think there is a diet for a particular body type that has been proven to work.
2) I'd extend Phase I, particularly because you have not lost much weight so far.
3) If you must use deli meats, pick the ones on the Phase I list and beware of salt. Just because they are on the list doesn't mean you have to eat them. Most of the chicks try to avoid highly processed foods.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:50 PM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Gebbeth! Glad to have you with us...great questions!

Here's my take:

1a. How much do you have to lose? Rapidity of weight loss on SBD depends on two things: how much you have to lose (more weight= faster weight loss) and how unhealthy your diet was before starting. If you were eating tons of bad carbs, you are likely to lose faster now. If you were already eating an almost SBD lifestyle before, you are probably not going to lose too quickly.
1b. Everything I've read says that you can't target weight loss to an area of your body. I don't believe that your shape dictates how fast or slow you lose. However, people who have the most weight around their bellies are at the highest risk for health problems with their heart, as Dr. A mentions in the book.

2. Yes...extend P1 by the amount of days that had sugar in them. It's worth it to really get the sugar out of your system.

3. Yes, it's scary how much sugar is in everything!!! There's even sugar in canned kidney beans! What's that all about? You can get some lunch meats with reduced amounts of sugars, but you'll find that the best option is to eat unprocessed meats. Of course, lunch meat is fast and easy, so sometimes it'll be in your diet. But when you're on P2, a small amount of sugar in the lunch meat won't be as much of a problem as in P1.

Glad to have you with us...hope you are feeling healthier even if the pounds aren't coming off as fast as you'd like.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:31 PM   #5  

Talking THank you

Thank you...

I finally <i>began</i> to lose some weight! I think I figured part of the problem- in the past I usually gain/retain weight with high fat foods. I have lost weight on lowfat eating habits before without trying... when I was just trying to be healthier So I started cutting down the amount of olive oil in salads/dressing. Not eliminating it- but instead of using 1-2 tbsp. I use a light drizzle. Once I started doing that- the weight began coming off- not quickly- but finally...

I have a bit of weight to lose- about 35 lbs.

Will extend phase 1- I hope the cravings start going away- this week was near unbearable- and my work decided to put cookies and doughnuts by the time-clock- gah!

THank you for your advice and help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgal View Post
Gebbeth! Glad to have you with us...great questions!

Here's my take:

1a. How much do you have to lose? Rapidity of weight loss on SBD depends on two things: how much you have to lose (more weight= faster weight loss) and how unhealthy your diet was before starting. If you were eating tons of bad carbs, you are likely to lose faster now. If you were already eating an almost SBD lifestyle before, you are probably not going to lose too quickly.
1b. Everything I've read says that you can't target weight loss to an area of your body. I don't believe that your shape dictates how fast or slow you lose. However, people who have the most weight around their bellies are at the highest risk for health problems with their heart, as Dr. A mentions in the book.

2. Yes...extend P1 by the amount of days that had sugar in them. It's worth it to really get the sugar out of your system.

3. Yes, it's scary how much sugar is in everything!!! There's even sugar in canned kidney beans! What's that all about? You can get some lunch meats with reduced amounts of sugars, but you'll find that the best option is to eat unprocessed meats. Of course, lunch meat is fast and easy, so sometimes it'll be in your diet. But when you're on P2, a small amount of sugar in the lunch meat won't be as much of a problem as in P1.

Glad to have you with us...hope you are feeling healthier even if the pounds aren't coming off as fast as you'd like.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:32 PM   #6  

I would love to- which thread is the phase1 forum? The weekly one, or is there another one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
Why not join the other Phase I chicks on the Phase I thread in this Forum. There's lots of mutual support and sharing of ideas there.

My ideas on the questions:
1a)Weightloss varies depending on amount you have to lose, how many other times you've dieted and your time of the month. Some chicks lose more in the second half of Phase I. Phase II weightloss is generally slower but it does happen.
1b) Well, it may be slow but it will be healthy weightloss. I don't think there is a diet for a particular body type that has been proven to work.
2) I'd extend Phase I, particularly because you have not lost much weight so far.
3) If you must use deli meats, pick the ones on the Phase I list and beware of salt. Just because they are on the list doesn't mean you have to eat them. Most of the chicks try to avoid highly processed foods.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:33 AM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I'm starting a new one right now.
Closed Thread