Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-24-2007, 01:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Default So irritating and depressing

So, over the last two years I have lost 45 lb. I still want to lose 10-15 lb more. Lately I re-started my old antidepressant (six weeks ago). I don't know if it's that, or if I haven't been "strict" with my eating, but I feel like I"m not losing weight anymore. I feel so irritated with it. I work out three times weekly and two times weekly if I run into time constraints. But ALWAYS work out weekly. I look at my stomach and see all this fat still and think - will it EVER leave? I really just want to wear a bikini top this summer, not even a full bikini, just a bikini top and shorts.

I just feel so....I don't know. I feel like I eat normally and well, and yet and confused. Am I eating to "diet", or am I eating to "maintain"?

Anyways, not really much point to this post, just feeling frustrated, and wondering about the fat - will it ever go away? Geez, what more can i DO at the gym for god's sake? I already work out for 1.5 hours altogether and feel like I"m going to die at the end of the workout.

*sigh*
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:34 PM   #2  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

Hang in there. I have gone from plateu-ing (i know its not a word ) to gaining 5 pounds, to plateu-ing. I work out at least 5-7 days per week for 30-60 minutes each time. I am rethinking my eating strategies, which have really started to lax since I haven't really lost any since Thanksgiving.

My point is maybe it is time to evaluate your eating and exercise strategies and mix it a bit.
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Try tracking what you're eating on www.fitday.com to see if you're eating as many calories as you think that you are.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:10 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Wow, I would be frustrated too! Sometimes this all just seems SO HARD! But take heart. You can do it!

I would say increase the number of times per week that you exercise. That can include taking a walk during the day--it doesn't have to be at the gym, although it could be. And don't exercise so hard--if you are feeling like you're going to die by the end of the workout, you're over-exerting. 30 minutes a session would probably be enough, if you went 4 or 5 days a week, and you shouldn't feel out of breath. Go by your heart rate. The best range to be in for losing weight is 100-120 beats per minute for most folks.

I didn't think I could exercise any more than I was, which was 3 times per week--but then I discovered that I could. Now it's just what I do--6 days out of 7--and I'm losing weight again.

And I agree about tracking how much you eat for awhile. It's really easy to go over, sad to say.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Have you done any reading in the maintainers threads? Maybe there's something there to urge you along. Tips, tricks, head games
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

You've got to exercise a lot to burn enough calories to get into a deficit. Point being that the main factor is probably the weekly calorie intake. Obviously you are eating enough just to maintain because you're not losing anymore. This means you need to (i) step it up with the exercise, (ii) gain more muscle on your frame as each pound of muscle burns an additional 50 calories at rest, and (iii) track every single calorie you eat and drink. Drop your calories down a bit, and step up the exercise at the same time. You'll probably start losing again.

THE GOOD NEWS: when you get to your goal weight, you'll be able to eat and work out approximately the same as you are now to maintain your new weight. In other words, you've got to eat less to lose, but to maintain 155 or to maintain 165, you'll eat almost the same. So keep going to your goal so you can get back to doing what you're doing now, which sounds pretty comfortable for you.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:05 PM   #7  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I never had much luck with JUST exercise and "eating healthy" I had to count to get results. Especially with really hard workouts, the harder I worked out, the more my appetite grew.

I have a very difficult time losing on 3 days of exercise a week. That is maintenance mode for me.

Also, if you are working out SO hard that it totally exhausts you it might be counter productive if it drags you down. Can you fit in a 4th day, but make it small. 30 minutes cardio and bam outta there.

I workout 5-6 days a week, but the intensity and time commitment vary greatly which keeps it from being too exhausting and too overwhelming. You should be ENERGIZED by your workouts most of the time. That's what keeps you coming back for more and actually liking it.

A sample week for me (just for an example )

M - 40-60 min moderate cardio
T- 40 min weights 20-45 min easy cardio
W - 30-60 min tough cardio
Th - 40 min weights, 20-45 min easy cardio
F - 40-60 min moderate cardio
Sat - rest rest rest
Sun - 60-120 min moderate intensity cardio (this makes it a tough cardio because of duration. And it isnt necessary to go that long, I'm marathon training)

The good thing about a 6 day a week "schedule" is even in really hectic bad weeks I usually manage at least 3.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:15 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I don't go even one day without exercise. I figure I don't go one day without eating, why should I go a day without the exercise? But, and it's a big one - I don't necessarily do a full workout everyday. I will do SOMETHING every day, even if it's just a 20 minute brisk walk and a bunch of sit ups and leg lifts. I figure something is better then nothing.

I agree with what the other ladies said, perhaps take a real good look at what you're eating to see if you may be consuming more calories then you think.

Good luck, you'll figure it all out.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:06 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mami View Post
You've got to exercise a lot to burn enough calories to get into a deficit. Point being that the main factor is probably the weekly calorie intake. Obviously you are eating enough just to maintain because you're not losing anymore. This means you need to (i) step it up with the exercise, (ii) gain more muscle on your frame as each pound of muscle burns an additional 50 calories at rest, and (iii) track every single calorie you eat and drink. Drop your calories down a bit, and step up the exercise at the same time. You'll probably start losing again.

THE GOOD NEWS: when you get to your goal weight, you'll be able to eat and work out approximately the same as you are now to maintain your new weight. In other words, you've got to eat less to lose, but to maintain 155 or to maintain 165, you'll eat almost the same. So keep going to your goal so you can get back to doing what you're doing now, which sounds pretty comfortable for you.
Yeah, makes sense!

Anyways, yes it's true I could definately cut out the pizza on the weekends (friday night). During the week I eat awesome and stay within my points (WW), but on the weekend I'm not so good.

I'm also starting a new workout program, with a personal trainer who works at a place where they train for the military *sigh*. I had one session and couldn't walk for two days. I'm sure that will step it back up again.

Thanks everyone! just needed to vent....

I guess I just feel like after two years, MAN IS IT OVER YET??? And how come I have to work out so vigorously and not eat junk in order to just maintain -- when I see everyone else around me eat normally and NOT even exercise yet stay the same weight all these years?
Old 01-25-2007, 08:57 AM   #10  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I have found that the older I get, the more my body changes, and the more I have to change with it.

In my 20's, I could just cut down on how much food I ate & exercise 30 minutes 3x a week & I'd lose 5 pounds in a month - no problem. In my 30's it was a bit more difficult. I had to really watch what I was eating!... and exercise at least AN HOUR for it to take any weight off me at all.

Now, in my 40's & perimenopausal, my body has really changed A LOT. I cannot exercise like I did just a couple years ago! - I have osteoarthritis in my lower back & hip... and then there's the crazy hormonal rages that comes with "the pause". It's MUCH HARDER to lose weight now than ever before, & I am convinced that it will never get any easier.

However - I am also convinced that it is still something I can accomplish - I just have to find the right way to do it for me. That takes trial & error... and T&E takes time.

One thing I have learned recently: I can't just eat healthy & enjoy a "smaller version of me." I have to watch those calories. And I always seem to eat more than I think I do! - so I have to really count. EVERYTHING. (Creamer in the coffee, that little taste of ONE french fry from my husband's plate, etc.)
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:03 PM   #11  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Yeah, beachpatrol, I'm right there with you. What works for others just may not work for me at all. I have to find how to work it on my own. I gained a lot of weight "eating healthy" because those healthy things weren't the right things for me. Too many carbs, for one thing--for MY body anyway.

I have to get a lot more exercise than I did when younger, but that's because I've had a basically sedentary life for years now, working at a desk on a computer. Too bad that typing doesn't burn more calories.

But I'm *makin' it!*

Jay
Old 01-25-2007, 02:07 PM   #12  

Hmm, I guess that may be what's happening. I'm in my 30s now (32) and have to realize my body is not like it was in my 20s. Plus my metabolism has changed over the last years and I have to account for that.

It's just harder now. and I don't like it. Oh I long for the days when I was 17 and could eat TWO foot-long subs and stay thin. lol.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:22 AM   #13  

Well, I weighed myself today and am totally devastated. I now weigh 161 lb. I weighed 155 lb on Jan 8. I can't believe it. I have already cried and cried. I KNEW something was up when I felt the thighs of my jeans a bit tighter.

I am totally devastated.

The only thing I have really done differently in the past few weeks is eat chips/dip on Saturdays. Also, it has been 8 weeks now since being on my new anti-D (new old actually, Prozac).

I have a major feeling it is the Prozac, and what I'm afraid of is uncontrollably gaining weight again on it. I'm going to give it few weeks and see if my weight still climbs while exercising 4x weekly (going to add in another session to my usual 3x weekly) and eating better on the weekends.

I am so depressed.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:18 AM   #14  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Oh, gee. Take a deep breath! Rest for a minute. This isn't the end of the world, even though it may feel like it.

It's probably a combination of the medication and trying to eat goodies on the weekend. With WW I think you have to keep to those points every day--our bodies don't get it that it's the weekend and we can therefore eat fun foods. Chips and dip is a lot of calories! I'll bet you didn't skip any meals to eat that, either.

Really, start tracking your foods (and beverages) so you know where you're at with that. I know you don't want to. Believe me, I've been there. But things won't change on their own.

Also, you could talk to your dr. about the weight gain and whether a different medication would be better. I would not just conclude it's the Prozac and suddenly stop it, however.

Good idea to see how things go with the exercise program! And eating better on weekends! But really, you need to try tracking those calories.

Jay