Old 01-23-2007, 07:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 364/364/140

Height: 5 feet

Default Different Scales different weight??

Well I took the plunge tonight I have not been back on plan very long but wanted to make sure that I was doing all that I needed to so I can lose weight. So off to Weight Watchers I went after work today only to get on their scale and have it read not one not two but Eight pounds different then my scale I just don't understand now don't get me wrong I am not arguing with them but how could my scale do that to me?? I hate that thing I have always hated scales and now I know why!!!!!!
DramaQueenLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:15 PM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

There can and is a huge difference weighing in the morning and in the afternoon. Perhaps at home you weighed in the morning and now at WW it was in the later part of the afternoon. They would certainly explain a lot of it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:40 PM   #3  

Yeah Robin that might be it then because I had always weighed in at 6:00am on Fridays wearing only my pj's and today I weighed in at 4:30pm wearing all my clothes...but 8 pounds??? Now I guess that I will just go with the WW weight so all I have left to say is UUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH
Old 01-23-2007, 07:46 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Most likely then, that's the problem. I don't bother weighing in the evenings any more. I gone up as much as 5 lbs over the course of a day and then the next morning it would be down again. On top of it the different clothing, I think that may be your answer.

If it were me personally, I would go with the at home weight as your true weight. I think it's much more accurate to weigh in the mornings. That doesn't mean that when you weigh in at WW that you shouldn't track how you're doing. Same time of day, same clothing will give you an idea of how much you are losing week to week. And that's all that really matters anyway.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:20 PM   #5  

Thanks I really needed that!!! sigh...
Old 01-23-2007, 09:00 PM   #6  
Hardworking Chick

S/C/G: 334/321.4/125

Height: 5'5"

Default Clothes can add 5 pounds

I bet at least five of those pounds come from your clothing. Each morning, I way myself completely naked -- so, I have no excuses! But out of curiosity, last week, I weighed myself wearing sweats and then without them. The difference was 5 pounds, I kid you not.

I suspect you weighed more later in the day, and then were wearing additional clothes. That probably accounts for the additional

Also, if your scale is old, it may be unreliable. I bought a new digital scale last year because my old one varied too much and constantly had to be recalibrated.
booklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:38 AM   #7  
Nicole

S/C/G: 261/226/140

Colleen, different scales definitely weigh differently and you do weigh differently at different times of the day. I got weighed at the gym last night and weighed 1 KG (about 2.2 lbs) more at the gym last night than I did at my WW weigh in today. The exra weight cannot be due to my clothing - given that I weighed in my workout clothes at the gym, which are quite light, and my work uniform today (trousers, top and jacket, all quite heavy material), I would have thought I'd weigh more today than last night....
nicolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:13 AM   #8  

Thanks I was starting to think that I was going just a bit crazy....my scale is pretty new got it about 6 months ago and has been pretty right on with other scales like when I go to the doctor but then again I always go to the doctor in the morning and she weighs me wearing one of those lovely hospital gowns.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:29 AM   #9  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Yep...with WW you gotta take lots of things into account when you step on their scales--clothing, time of day, etc.

I was going to morning meetings, but switched to an evening meeting and it made a HUGE difference! I had to find a meeting I could attend regularly and stick with it!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:43 PM   #10  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I just posted about this in the Support forum. I was wondering why I weighed what I did at my dr. office, went to lunch, then to another dr. appt. I weighed less at the 2nd office. HOW? I don't think they calibrate them often enough. The ones that have the weights should be easily calibrated. It' frustrating!

Ask the WW people when they calibrated the scales. If it is the weighted ones, then set at zero it should be balanced in the middle. I'm going to start noticing that. Those are supposedly easily adjusted.

Good luck.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote