Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-22-2007, 12:36 PM   #1  

Default No weight loss?? But husband has lost 80?

I have been faithfully watching what i eat for the last three months in order to bring down my Chol/Trig, well before they were 250/534, today they are 168/132 which is a very big improvement, i exercise at least 4 days a week on the treadmill or treadclimber for at least 30 minutes but most of the time 45 minutes. My husband since Last July has lost 80 pounds, i have lost NONE! I must be doing something right if my levels have come down that much, just dont understand why no weight loss? Ive cut out all pop, tea, fried foods, fast food, eating teh same way my husband does except not as big a portion but nothing is happending. this is very discouraging!!! Anybody else in the same boat? Thanks for letting me vent
Josephine35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:42 PM   #2  
Coldblooded Thread Killa

Height: 5'3"

Oh wow, that has to be SO hard. I'm sorry.

Do you happen to know how many calories you take in? I have found http://www.fitday.com to be invaluable in helping me track what I eat. You may either be eating more calories than you think, or (conversely) eating far too few, and thus confusing your body into thinking it's starving.

Are your clothes looser? You may be losing fat but building up your muscle, even through non-weight-training exercise. Because muscle is denser than fat, you can be more fit and toned, and smaller, than you were, with the same weight showing up on the scale.

Barring all that, have you considered visiting a doctor or nutritionist? Just a thought. Good luck, and welcome!
callystia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:45 PM   #3  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

You are obviously doing great in terms of exercise and eating healthier foods, so I think I good next step would be to track everything you eat and keep your calories within a range where you are losing weight. Despite exercising and trying to eat healthier, I didn't start losing weight until I started counting calories. I would start by figuring out how many calories you are eating now. Assuming you aren't eating too few calories, reduce your calories per day in 100-200 calorie increments until you start to see some weight loss.

To help you get started, here is a link to a website where you can calculate how many calories you need to eat to lose or maintain weight: http://nutrition.about.com/library/b...tion_guide.htm. There are a bunch of other sites out there that do the same thing, but this is the only one I have bookmarked (so it's the only one I can find right now). Bear in mind that this isn't an exact science, so once you start tracking your calories, you may find that your actual calories need to be a little different. But if you are way under the calories they recommend and aren't losing any weight, that could be an indication that you need to eat a little more or that you should talk to your doctor.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

I also did not start losing regularly until I started religiously calorie counting every bite and drink on fitday.com, despite that I was eating less, eating healthier, and exercising. It really does boil down to the number of calories your body needs and if you're off by just 100 calories, you may not lose weight. 100 calories equals one extra egg (jumbo), or a banana, or 1/2 serving of chips so changing your caloric intake by just a little may be the key for you too.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:21 PM   #5  
LLV

I agree with the other girls, watch your calories. Even healthy foods have calories and if you take in more than your body is burning, you're not going to lose anything.

Congrats on the new cholesterol numbers, that's fantastic!
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:36 PM   #6  

I'll chime in that it's hard to know exactly how much you are eating. And it is "how much" you are eating that leads to weight loss/gain, not "what" you are eating. Consider investing in an electronic scale. When I first started, I did things like weight out my portions of cereal and the like. I found that what I considered to be 1 serving was actually by weight more like 3-4 servings.

I've heard that most people consistently under estimate the amount of food they eat, while over estimating the amount of exercise they do. I know I have a tendancy to do this, you might as well.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:48 PM   #7  
Baby steps

S/C/G: 280/270/160

Height: 5'8"

Consider keeping a journal of everything you eat or drink, whether it's something you handwrite or one like FitDay. I use FitDay and I love it. It really helps me to actualize what I've eaten for the day, and to know if I'm on track or not. 6 months ago I was trying to lose weight, and I was actually just starving myself. My body held onto every single calorie because it didn't know when it would get more. If you're way below your recommended calorie count for the day, try adding in a banana and some peanut butter, or throw in some avocado slices somewhere. Even the littlest things have an impact.
Wildfyre is offline   Reply With Quote