Old 01-22-2007, 01:33 PM   #1  
For a fit, healthy me!

S/C/G: s3x/s2x/healthy and fit

Height: 5 feet even

Question Can someone help me out with Steel Cut Oatmeal?

Okay, what is the easiest way to prepare it--store top or crock pot? Do you eat it plain or what do you add? I am staying away from sugar. I want to eat this for breakfast most mornings. TIA

Kathy
Casey4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Crock pot--hands down! With the stove top method, you have to watch it or it'll boil over and you'll have a huge mess! I also tried with a rice cooker, but that was just as messy.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:41 PM   #3  
No Day But Today

S/C/G: 275/267/175

Height: 5'5"

Post that method please - I haven't tried it! I love it but never remember to make it ahead of time and I don't want to wait inthe morning.

I add Splenda and SF maple syrup!
HottieInHiding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:55 PM   #4  
Meg

I vote for the microwave. Fast and nothing to clean up - just be sure to use a large enough bowl because it boils up quite a bit while it's cooking.

I buy Bob's Red Mill brand and cook one serving for 4 1/2 minutes. I eat it with Splenda and cinnamon .
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:00 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 159

Height: 5.4

Default steel cut oatmeal

I made it last week for the first time..on the stovetop...seemed to take forever! I like the crockpot idea..

and I put a little bit of honey over the top somedays; also have used fruit as a sweetener. I do miss the brown sugar!
hildegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

1 cup steel cut oats and about 4 cups of water, cook on low for 6-8 hours. Check the box of oats, you may want to add a little salt. You can also add sweetners or cinnamon, but that can be stirred in once it is cooked.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:19 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I vote for Rice Cooker! I've cooked them on the stove, crockpot and rice cooker. I have to say the rice cooker does the best job. All you need to do is put the water and oatmeal in the rice cooker, let it sit for 7 hours or so, then put the rice cooker on. In 30 minutes, you have nice steel cut oats.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:37 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 270/190/150

Height: 5'4"

I am the lone ranger here. I prefer them cooked on top of the stove. I tried to crockpot method, and they get too mushy for my taste. I like for them to have a "bite" to them, and I get that by cooking them 15 minutes on the stove top. I use a 2 qt. pan and I make 4 servings at one time, and refrigerate the leftovers. I just reheat them in the microwave the next 3 days!
Mrs Quadcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:22 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 233/222/133

If you want speed, Trader Joe's sells pre-cooked frozen steel-cut oatmeal. It's expensive; a little under $2 for 2 servings. It does have a little sugar though. But all you have to do is put it in the microwave for 3 minutes. I love it.
Kamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:37 AM   #10  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

Can you tell me what the difference is? I just buy Quick or Old Fashion at the grocery store. What is the difference between them and the steel-cut? (blush, blush)

We eat oatmeal every morning and I love the crockpot idea; however, does it get mushy with this method?

Thanks!!
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:50 AM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

The rice cooker method doesn't allow them to get mushy. I find them a bit more meatier in the rice cooker.

For me, I find steel cut oats more satisfying and they fill me up longer.

This is from wikipedia:

Steel-cut oats are whole grain groats (the inner portion of the oat kernel) which have been cut into only two or three pieces. They are golden in colour and resemble small rice pieces.

Steel-cut oats are also known as coarse-cut oats, pinhead oats, Scotch oats, or Irish oats.

In comparison, the other main variety, rolled oats, are flake oats that have been steamed, rolled, re-steamed and toasted.

Because the steel-cut oats are more "natural" with less pre-processing, they may be more nutritious than the more popular rolled oats. Steel-cut oats are nuttier, more flavorful, and retain a chewier texture than rolled oats. Like most whole grains, steel-cut oats take much longer to cook than pre-processed oats.

Many people feel that steel-cut oats provide better flavour than rolled oats due to the lack of preprocessing. Usually steel-cut oats are not preprocessed then dried. They are often packaged in a vacuum tight container (like a coffee can) to preserve freshness.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:54 AM   #12  
Starting over 3/24/2017

Cool!! I am definitely going to be getting these. Do you find them in regular grocery stores? I know the one I shop (very large store I might add) does not carry them. Are these in specialty stores only?

I'm going to have to buy me another rice cooker. I had one and didn't use it (before dieting) and sold it in a garage sale for $3 (almost brand new)!!

Thanks a million!
Old 01-23-2007, 09:49 AM   #13  
For a fit, healthy me!

Red face My Adventures in Steel Oatmeal Cooking!

Okay, so last night before bed I set up the rice cooker with 1 c steel oats and 4 c water, left it over night and then turned it on before I left to take the kids to school. I got home and they smelled soooooo good. As I walked in the kitchen I saw the rice cooker was possessed! There was oatmeat and water bubbling out all over the counter, down the cabinet and into a puddle on the floor where the dog was quite happily licking up the results. I mopped up and the rice cooker finished. I did debate eating it because I worried too much water was lost. However, I ate a cup with a splash of skim milk, a fist full of berries and six walnuts. It was absolutely delicious. So although the rice cooker method was a bit of a bust I am not going to give up on this yummy idea and will try stove-top or crockpot next. Thank you for all your help!
Old 01-23-2007, 09:53 AM   #14  
Starting over 3/24/2017

Oh man! Sorry to hear this happened to you, Casey!

Okay, nelie - we need your help. What brand of rice cooker do you have? Is it larger capacity or something? I want to go buy another one but wanted to see what you are using to hopefully prevent these boil-overs! LOL!! Thanks!
Old 01-23-2007, 10:41 AM   #15  
For a fit, healthy me!

Lightbulb RitzyFritz....

I googled "cooking steel cut oatmeal" and this is what I am going to try tonight.
Bring 4 cups water to a boil, remove from heat.
Add 1 cup steel oats and cover
Leave until morning and then reheat 9-12min
I think I'll just reheat a single serving in the microwave

Certainly sounds easy enough. I report back tomorrow!

Kathy