South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 10:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 137/137/120

Height: 5'3"

Default Wierd reaction to breakfast - Phase 1

Hi, all.....

This is my second day on SB although I'm very familiar with Atkins. Yesterday went great...really enjoyed the tomatos, onions, LF milk, etc and felt great all day. This morning however I ate what I thought was a good breakfast (v8, Cheesy Fritata straight from the book) and about a half hour later, I suddenly got what the book describes a symptoms of hypoglycemic response.........weak and shaky and want to lie down. I even had a small glass of 1% milk, but it hasn't helped. I just finished breakfast about an hour ago. I don't think I should be feeling like this. At least its Sunday, because if this happens tomorrow at work, not good. Anybody have any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Old 01-21-2007, 10:35 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Very strange. Are you diabetic? If so, it could be that you needed more carbs. If not, better check with your doctor.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:44 AM   #3  

Thanks for answering so quickley.....this forum is great! But, no, I'm not diabetic......never ever had any problems like that. I was even considering starting on Phase 2, because I've pretty much licked carb cravings, but I went with Phase one because of the extra initial weight loss.

One thing I didn't mention is that I have been drinking iced green tea with Splenda (one packet to a quart), but I've never had a problem with caffiene either. I guess I'll just watch Face the Nation on the couch until this passes.

BTW, Ruthie, I saw your wonderful dogs in the pet thread. My Mom was an AKC all rounder when I was growing up, so I know what a darling breed of dogs they are. Thanks for all the help.

Susie
Old 01-21-2007, 11:28 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

hi there,
i'm not doing SB or atkins but am familiar with each, having had a sister lose about 30 lbs. on SB and lots of friends and coworkers on atkins. also, my husband is a type 1 diabetic so I've seen lots of low blood sugar reactions. I just want you to know that you can be hypoglycemic without having diabetes... I have a friend who is. Also it is something that can develop. The only thing that will bring your sugar up is carbs! You probably only need to have about 15 carbs when that happens, but milk may not do it, if it does, it will bring it up slowly. Best thing is to drink a little orange juice or even a little regular soda... or a few crackers. Also, it takes time for the shaky feeling to go away. If it happens to you again, I would let your doctor know so you can be checked for hypoglycemia, which is not all that uncommon. Good luck and I hope you feel better!
Old 01-21-2007, 11:51 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/204/145

Height: 5'7"

Ninue,

I too jad a really rough day two. I was so tired I kep falling asleep at my desk. However, since day 3 I have been fine. I am now on day 6. Did you buy any brown rice? That is acceptable for Phase I and had plenty of carbs. I also had a bad headache which I attributed to caffeine withdrawal (caffeine is not allowed on Phase I). I had these same symptoms on Atkins too. I like Fat Smashers much better. Good luck! Make sure you call your doctor if you still feel bad!
Old 01-21-2007, 11:54 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Brown rice is NOT acceptable until Phase II. Legumes are fine on Phase Iand may help as do dairy products from the Phase I food list on THE SOUTH BEACH DIET.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:35 PM   #7  

I'm feeling a little better now....I made a piece of whole grain toast w/ Smart Balance and split it with my husband, and that seemed to do the trick. I'm glad I found out what to do....after Atkins you get so freaky about carbs. I guess I just have to get used to being able to eat the good ones. Thanks so much to everyone for all the help.
Closed Thread