Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-19-2007, 02:47 PM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default Hiking shoes - where to buy?

Ok so I have super wide feet. I've tried wide pairs of women hiking shoes and they work ok for a day of hiking but I need something that will last multiple days without major problems. I am thinking I need to actually get fitted and probably buy a man's shoe.

I want to go somewhere that will help me find the right shoe. I actually have the perfect hiking shoe but it isn't water proof (merrell, love love love that shoe) and I need one that is waterproof. We have REI but I'm not sure REI is the right place because it seems too generic. Any suggestions?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 05:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Well, I'm an REI person all the way. (Grew up in Seattle, and our family number is only 4 digits ) I've never thought of them as generic, and they do train their staff plus usually their employees actually do the activitity rather than just talk about it. Don't know if that's true at every REI store, however.

I do have to say, however, that REI clothing runs small. It's rather annoying because my DH bought me all medium-sized stuff, and I had to go back and get a large. When you've worked hard to go from 3X to a medium, you don't want to ever size up again! Hopefully, REI shoe brands aren't like that.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:48 PM   #3  
Releasing the inner hiker

We have EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports) around here and they are usually pretty helpful with fittings and advice.

If you are looking for a location to purchase boots, check out Sierra Trading Post online. They have a TON of women's hiking boots, with decent prices.

I like my Merrell's as well. In fact, the pair I've worn for the last few years are about dead and I'll soon be looking for a new pair as well. I thought I purchased a decent pair a few months ago, but they are too heavy for the hiking I've been doing, so I rarely use them.

Good luck!
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:24 AM   #4  
Just Me

There is an eastern mountain sports not too far away, I wonder if I can convince DH to take me there... I will also try REI, I just thought they might've been too yuppified in recent years

DH did approve me to go to a store and get fitted for proper hiking shoes. Although I am a bargain shopper, serious hiking shoes are probably something I shouldn't bargain shop for (unless I find out what I need then do it later!).

I even tried to look online to see if there was a way to have custom made hiking shoes and I couldn't find anything.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:13 PM   #5  

I was just shopping for hiking shoes, too, at a New Balance store (they're having a sale on their hiking shoes).

Where are you going hiking??
Mini-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 10:03 PM   #6  
Just Me

I went to REI today and it was a dud. Men's hiking shoes don't work, going up a size in women's doesn't work. I decided ordering a wide trail running shoe which may work.

Mini - I actually have a pair of new balance hiking shoes, 2E but from my experience they weren't very good after a few miles. We are looking at a hiking vacation in Costa Rica at the end of the year and I want to find shoes and break them in before we actually go.