South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 02:03 PM   #1  
...to everything

S/C/G: 170/170/120-130?

Height: 5'3"

Default What % of calories from fat?

So, I tried FitDay yesterday for the first time ever. I found I ate 1600 Calories (is that good? Bad?) I'm 5'3", 163 lbs, trying to get to 130. I figured it wasn't TOO high... BUT what really shocked me was the amount of fat and salt I was eating!! My diet yesterday was 60% fat, 12% carbs, and 28% protein. I was STUNNED! I guess I'm not eating enough veggies? A lot of the fat came from olive oil and cheese...

I grew up in a household where my mother put a sauce on EVERYTHING, so this adjustment has been kind of difficult for me. We also used a lot of butter and salt, and I'm not really sure how to change my taste buds so that I don't NEED that, KWIM? Does anyone have any suggestions for how to make my South Beach experience a little lower in fat? I should probably mention, too, that I HATE beans, with the exception of green beans and once in a while chickpeas (but only in hummus and falafels), so most legumes aren't a great option for me.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:12 PM   #2  

Before Ruth suggests is...can you post what a daily menu is for you? Then people can comment.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:16 PM   #3  
...to everything

Will it work if I link my FitDay day in here? I'll try...

http://fitday.com/WebFit/DayFoodsTab.asp
Old 01-16-2007, 02:17 PM   #4  
...to everything

Okay, from what I can see, it worked. That was for yesterday. I didn't add in the splenda I had in my ricotta cheese or the gum I had (I forgot about the gum and couldn't find splenda or sucralose)
Old 01-16-2007, 03:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 176/129/129

Height: 5' 6.5"

Hi! I couldn't see your fitday, only the fitday main page. However, 60% is definitely too high. Among other reasons, your body needs the nutrients from foods other than fats, so consuming that many fats means you are certainly lacking in other nutrients. 25-30% fat would be much better. Since you said you had 12% carbs, I am guessing there's a significant lack of fruits and vegetables in your diet. I would increase fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Our bodies need some carbs just to fuel our brain. Also, at the level of fat/protein you have, you probably are getting WAY too little fiber. 25 grams of fiber a day (at least!) is vital for digestive function and really important for heart health. Plus, fiber (which is in fruits, veggies, and whole grains) helps you stay much more satisfied for a lot longer. If you decrease fat, you'll also be able to eat a LOT more food, since fat is the most calorie dense food.

Hope this helps!
Lindy
Old 01-16-2007, 03:18 PM   #6  
...to everything

Hmm, thanks for the tips, Lindy!
I really thought I was eating lots of veggies the last 9 days, but I guess not enough. I reach my 4 1/2 cups every day. I can't increase fruits and whole grains; I'm on phase 1 of SBD, so that's not an option right now. I guess I might have to suck it up and eat some <gag> beans, for fiber, carbs, and protein?
Old 01-16-2007, 03:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 176/129/129

Height: 5' 6.5"

Shelby, I'm sorry I'm not on SBD so I don't know the specifics. 4 1/2 cups of veggies sounds good to me. I understand the 'no fruit' since it has fructose (I assume your diet cuts the sugars a lot in phase 1). How about using garbanzo beans (chickpeas) and making a dip like hummus? Or roasting chickpeas and adding some seasonings? Also canned white beans in leiu of chickpeas can make a great dip. How about black beans, egg substitute, lowfat cheese, and salsa for a little tex-mex type meal. I hope you get to add fruit and whole grains back in soon! They are such great building blocks of a nutritious diet!

Lindy
Old 01-16-2007, 03:43 PM   #8  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good info from SlimLindy! Yup, 60% is way too high. I think 20 to 30 grams per day would be about right. I can't see your Fitday either. You have to make it public within Fitday and then add that to your profile.
Are you making sure you have the dairy allowance? It's important too. Cheese can put your fats way up too so stick to LF and limit your servings.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:05 PM   #9  
...to everything

http://fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJourn...wner=mathewssd

Okay, is that better? Can you see it now? So I should drink more milk, have more legumes <gag, again>... obviously, try to cut out the margarine and down on the olive oil?
Old 01-16-2007, 04:23 PM   #10  
Come on Spring!

Definitely the olive oil is giving you grief. You should also be using Becel or ICBINB per the Phase I Foodlist in the FAQ.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:05 PM   #11  
...to everything

Hm, so Becel has fewer calories than olive oil? I guess I'm a bit clueless about this. Sorry I'm asking so many questions that must seem so obvious to all of you seasoned women (that sounds really wrong) -- I'm just a little overwhelmed with this whole thing. I've been trying to do it while depressed and broke, a difficult time emotionally for me.

When I put margarine in the FitDay, I did mean Becel.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:42 PM   #12  

Maybe the eggs, too? I might have read it wrong, but three large eggs would add a lot to the fat intake. Could you opt for egg substitute or forgo the yolks?

Edited to add -- I did read it wrong, one's a deviled egg and one's just a white. I think I looked at the deviled egg and saw it was 10 grams of fat and assumed it was two large eggs.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:02 PM   #13  

Deeeep Breath there Ridiculous! ..Using Fitday is a great tracking and eye opening tool as you found out! You definitely need to cut the Fat %. In the beginning..strive for a 30/30/30. (Fat/Carb/Protein). Keep an eye on your sodium- USDA recommendation is less than 2300 mg a day.. (like 1 tsp of pure salt) . Track it all in Fitday.. see how you do. On phase 1 -increase your protein. Watch your calorie intake.

Calories: Your intake depends - check out the BMI calculators available here and out on the web. Be honest about your activity level. Dont go below 1200 regardless if you exercise or not.

Be Anal about tracking at first..As you see, a Tsp of butter,Bencal, a little of this and that Adds up! Making Eggs? What goes into it? A tsp of Benecal? A slice of LF cheese.. account for it..

All those little things, we think are :ah, theres so little calorie in it" add up... Believe me, I know! I just started back to painfully using Fitday..and I see where I am adding unessential calories that are contributing to my "ChaCha" on the scale.

hope this helps
Old 01-16-2007, 07:07 PM   #14  

Schatzi -

If you aim for 30% fat, 30% carb and 30% protein...what's the other 10%?

(I know it's OT...I was just wondering)
Old 01-16-2007, 07:07 PM   #15  
Come on Spring!

Becel is better than regular margarine and has fewer calories if you use the Lite. Regular margarines are not allowed on Phase I per The Revised Food List.

Schatzi means equal amounts of the three foods - fat, protein and carbs. It's a 1/1/1 ratio or 33 1/3% each. Don't obsess over these numbers - just keep a reasonable ratio going over the course of a week.

Doesn't Fitday track fiber?
Closed Thread