Old 01-15-2007, 06:21 PM   #1  

Default Today's Oprah episode with Bob Greene

Did anyone watch Oprah today?? Bob Greene was on and they were talking about his new book and how the "diet" plan works. It was very interesting and the ladies that they had on the show that had already been doing his program. I think All of them had lost at least 100 pounds. I was very encouraged and got some motivation again.

LeiAn
SunChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:50 PM   #2  

I went to his site after Oprah's show today, and it costs $19.99 to sign up to try it for a month.
harrpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:36 PM   #3  
Kimmy

S/C/G: 181.2/181.2/130

Height: 5 foot nada

I watched it too. I ordered the book today. I can't wait to get it so I can read it. I think it's true what he was saying. You have to be ready in your mind for it to work.

Kim
nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:47 PM   #4  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

I haven't see it yet (I do tape the programs so that I can watch them over the weekend though). Just out of curiosity - does he explain how to get your mind ready?
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

He has three questions he asks--why are you overweight (requiring a meaningful answer other than eating too much), why do you want to lose weight, and have you lost weight before--or something like that. I believe he mentioned that you can't wait to get motivated to lose weight, you just have to start slowly and work up to it. The first month, you weigh yourself once and put away the scale, then move more, and give up a short list of things that included soda, white bread, fried foods, regular pasta, trans fat and high-fat dairy products.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 275/222/154

Hi everyone. I saw Bob on Oprah today, he sure knows hi sstuff. I'm glad that you were inspired by him, LeiAnn. If you go to Oprah's web site, his new book has all the highlights there. Some of it looks great.
noranoranora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:17 PM   #7  
Queen of Rationalization

S/C/G: 260/257/135

Height: 5'3

I guess I am a little more cynical. It was really cool seeing all of the women that lost between 75 and 120 lbs. I was in fact motivated by them and hearing their stories got me out of the door to do my workout, but I was less than impressed by Bob Greene. I just didn't feel that he was saying anything new, or anything that i haven't heard before.

If anyone does try it, and finds that it works let me know ok?
c_laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:34 PM   #8  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I was a little disappointed that Oprah and Bob were pushing the processed foods so hard. They had this makshift grocery store set up on the stage and it's all just a bunch of processed food that in the stores will have "Bestlife approved" stickers on it, i.e. you can eat it on his diet. There wasn't a lot of stress put on shopping for fresh whole foods. I suppose the idea is that if people are eating junk today, less bad for you processed food is better than not making any changes. I guess it's just harder to put a sticker on an apple or a piece of fresh fish!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:27 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 275/137/140

I just finished watching this on the 11 p.m. re-run of Oprah that shows here in Chicago (world headquarters of Oprah-mania) and I have to agree, the commercial aspect of the show was disappointing.

I think he had some good things to say about easing into a plan, understanding your behavior and motivations, etc., and the people that had followed his plan and lost mega-pounds were great inspirations.

That said, I felt like too much of the show was just pushing certain brands of foods. I'm sure the products that were highlighted fit into the overall philosophy of the diet and have reasonable nutrition profiles, but I just felt like the sales pitch was a bit much.
WindyCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:06 AM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I saw most of it, but twice, once first showing, then the repeat missed the grocery part, sounds like I didn't miss much.

I agree that there was nothing much new told here. I'm always amazed at 3fc for having women here that are really in this for the long run and view it as a lifestyle change rather then a "diet", so yeah we really do know what to do. I think we should all go on Oprah and have a nice long chat, we could give just as much info to the public, if not more, then Dr. Oz and Bob Greene put together. That is of course if Oprah would let us get in a word. She just doesn't shut up!!!! I had no interest in hearing from her, I do wish she'd let the so called experts speak without interupting them.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:23 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Maybe someone should let Oprah know about 3FC????
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 08:13 AM   #12  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I agree that there was nothing much new told here. I'm always amazed at 3fc for having women here that are really in this for the long run and view it as a lifestyle change rather then a "diet", so yeah we really do know what to do. I think we should all go on Oprah and have a nice long chat, we could give just as much info to the public, if not more, then Dr. Oz and Bob Greene put together.
Robin, you are so right! We know how to diet..most of us have read just about every diet book there is....and we've tried several of them. We can talk 'diet' talk with the best of them! The hard part is putting the knowledge into actions and sticking with it. This is what I love about 3FC. Our friends here help teach us how to be commited and make it through the difficult times....and the encouragement and support!! Wow, all I can say is thank God I found this site...and Thank You to each of you!
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:46 AM   #13  
Fit by 50!

S/C/G: 265/262/165

Height: 5'4"

Hear, hear, Robin!

I think most every plan has some merit to it, but when push comes to shove for a lot of us 100-lb clubbers, it's the support and behavorial changes that make the difference.

I, too, prefer whole food choices, and wasn't too impressed with the brand name selections.
Nancydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:07 AM   #14  
For a fit, healthy me!

S/C/G: s3x/s2x/healthy and fit

Height: 5 feet even

Default Disclaimer: I didn't watch Oprah and don't know much about....

Bob Greene! I think if you watched it and got motivated or inspired, take that feeling and run with it! I love watching stories of those who have conquered their challenges.
I think the "healthier" convenience foods can have a place in a healthy diet. Sometimes as people are changing their habits, fast and easy can make all the difference in the world. However, I agree that the mainstay of our healthy eating needs to be whole foods. I have been trying to shop the perimeter or the grocery story first and then venture to the middle to fill in the few things I need. It does help.
Casey4 is offline   Reply With Quote