Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-15-2007, 12:47 PM   #1  
Recovering Couch Potato

S/C/G: 168/139/135-ish

Height: 5'6"

Thumbs up My backpacking challenge

Now that I've lost most of the fat I was carrying, I want to focus on getting and staying nice and strong, so I've set a pretty substantial goal for myself and I could definitely use some support!

My very last spring break (I'm a college senior) is coming up on March 9, and instead of sitting around and drinking 500-calorie pina coladas like most of my peers will be doing, I'm taking a 3-day backpacking trip with my boyfriend to the NC mountains. It's going to be about 5-9 miles per day of strenuous mountain hiking with 20-30lb. packs. I've been doing cardio and mild strength training throughout the weight loss process, but this definitely calls for stepping it up a few notches. We're also doing day hikes in a local hilly state forest once or twice a week to help prepare, and eating only whole foods.

So--here goes nothing . My parents actually LAUGHED when I told them about our plans. I grew up a very indoor, not-so-active girl, and now I really want to prove everyone wrong by getting out there and kicking some mountain-trail butt .

If anyone wants to plan a similar kind of challenge, jump on board!
Jasmine419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 02:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 243.5/243.5/140

Height: 5'5"

Hi Jasmine,
In 2002 I did a 4 month 'walk' across Europe (we did 5 countries, 2 islands and 2 mountain ranges) so I've had a large amount of experience with mountain hiking. Please feel free to PM me any time if you have any questions about what to expect. My most important advice...pack as light as possible. Your shoes may be the most important thing you have with you, make sure they are well broken in and very comfortable. You'll want plenty of water too.

Good luck!
NESunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 03:25 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I do hikes and I love challenging hikes. DH and I are discussing taking a week long hiking vacation where you hike 5 or so miles per day.

I do find hiking a lot more strenuous than any exercise you can do in the gym.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 05:01 PM   #4  
Recovering Couch Potato

S/C/G: 168/139/135-ish

NESunshine, I'm glad you posted--I might be picking your brain soon!

And nelie, I know what you mean about the strenuousness of hiking--it's the only thing I love enough to do something that hard with any frequency.

We loosely mapped out our itenerary today. We're going to be hiking a half day--about 4-5 miles--to our first campsite, then the next day it's a grueling 5-8 mile, 2,800ft. rise hike up to the summit of Cold Mountain (yep, the one from the book and movie of the same name), then we have to get at least part of the way back down the mountain before we camp the second night because at the top it's too, well, cold. The third day will be a pretty easy downhill hike back to the trailhead, and possibly another short day hike after we unload.

I start interval training tomorrow--gotta get ready for that elevation!
Jasmine419 is offline   Reply With Quote