General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 09:50 AM   #1  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Default Bob Greene on Oprah Monday, discussing Best Life Diet

Just wanted to let you guys know Bob Greene will be on Oprah, Monday, January 15, discussing his new book -"Best Life Diet". Me personally, I'd rather hear from Dr. Oz (OMG, definitely have a little crush on him, weird) but always interested in hearing from Mr. Greene as well.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:59 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

Just bumping this up so more people can see it. And then see the show of course.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:11 AM   #3  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

rrrr. I could kick dh's butt for not getting dvr cheap when we had the opportunity. Oprah is on at a really bad time for me.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:17 PM   #4  

Yes, Yes, Robin on Dr. Oz! He is so cute!

I find Bob Greene not so cute after today's Oprah! All those product endorsements...how about the segment where they show that his face and his program is on a plethora of foods; he is on every conceivable food item for a healthy plan. I've been eating Barilla Plus since the product came out and no one has come looking for me! LOL.

Just like marketing for products, Bob is not saying anything different from what he and many others have said before: he has packaged it differently. I actually like what he says very much and I don't have a problem with product endorsement in general; I am just irritated to no end by the overwhelming product advertising. Talk about a binge.

Like your diet says, Bob, everything should be in moderation.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:42 AM   #5  
Go Cardinals!!

S/C/G: 276/221/150

Height: 5'6

I taped it today, thanks for the information I'll have to watch it later though! =)
Old 01-16-2007, 12:56 AM   #6  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

He also contradicted himself. He came out saying he didnt believe in regular use of artificial sweeteners, and then plastered his face on yoplait light....which has artificial sweetener.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:33 AM   #7  

Yes, I noticed the artifical sweetener contradiction as well.

Plus, Oprah irritated me no end because she kept interrupting him and instructing the audience on his diet program. Bob barely finished any sentences and at point just relaxed back in his chair and let her jabber on. Let the man speak!
Old 01-16-2007, 05:22 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I found the program kinda rushed too.
I think I like the little seal on the products. I'm sure they're expensive products but at least they'd help someone get started making wiser choices.
I did like the suggests for what to do 'before' you start.
I didn't really catch that about the artificial sweeteners. I thought he was talking about sweet substitutions and advising that water was a better choice than diet soda.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:39 AM   #9  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I didn't see it, but it sounds hokey to me.....

Someone else thinks so too... skwigg.tripod.com/blog (read the comments too!)
Old 01-16-2007, 07:03 AM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

I twice missed the part about the grocery shopping and all the food he's endorsing Oh well. I didn't find him to have anything new to say, nothing that us ladies don't already know here at 3FC. I think WE should all go on Oprah and discuss weightloss tactics, we'd have more info the Dr. OZ (the cutie and it's more a personality thing then a looks thing) and Bob Greene COMBINED. That is if Oprah would let us get in a word. She DOES need to shut her pie hole and let the so called experts talk.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:07 AM   #11  

LOL, Robin...you are right on. We all know what we have to do in general and through trial and error, we pretty much know what works for our individual bodies and metabolism.

I was also distracted by Oprah's snatching up the food; there was a package of flat bread wraps (I believe) that she was dying to rip open. She did not appear to be a person in control.

At first blush, I did like the idea of Phase 1...working your mind around what you had to do...but as I thought about it, it is just another "Monday". You know what I mean..."I'll start eating right on Monday." How many times can you tell yourself that you have to go back to Phase 1? I see that potential.

Forgot to mention in my previous post that I was also perplexed by the SlimFast endorsement. Bob even said that his weight has been in the 170's for years and it was only when he went on SlimFast that he was able to weigh in the 160's. So....what was that about? Makes me want to check out SlimFast (even I'd have to find containers without his face on them!)
Old 01-16-2007, 10:12 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladdy View Post
Bob is not saying anything different from what he and many others have said before: he has packaged it differently.
I bought his book and was very disappointed that it offered nothing new--no changes that I'm not already doing.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:09 PM   #13  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Quote:
Yes, I noticed the artifical sweetener contradiction as well.

Plus, Oprah irritated me no end because she kept interrupting him and instructing the audience on his diet program. Bob barely finished any sentences and at point just relaxed back in his chair and let her jabber on. Let the man speak!
She used to do that to Dr Phil too. Drives me nuts
Old 01-16-2007, 11:12 PM   #14  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Quote:
I was also distracted by Oprah's snatching up the food; there was a package of flat bread wraps (I believe) that she was dying to rip open. She did not appear to be a person in control.
I notice that whenever there is a diet show and they demo food she scarfs it....I mean taking a bite of the wasa turkey thing for the crunch was one thing but she couldnt talk and kept eating it....but hey at least bob got to speak then...lol
Old 01-16-2007, 11:16 PM   #15  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Susan , yeah water was better, but his reason was because then you are continuing to train your palate to like swwwwweeeet food instead of retraining it to prefer less sweet, more natural foods. So then pushing sweetened yogurt and slimfast seems a bit weird.

It almost made me want to stop buying products he endorsed but I love barilla plus and cascadian farms
Closed Thread