Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-12-2007, 03:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

Default Things you eat that you could never, in all good conscience, recommend to ANYONE

I can't be the only one who has concoctions you make up that are "diet-friendly" but would just be, well, FOUL to the average person.

Here are two that I am on a kick with recently:

#1 - 1/2 cup steel cut oats, 4 packets artificial sweetener, 2 Tbsp. psyllium. Pour 1 cup boiling water over all and mix it up. This makes a very glutinous, pasty concoction with an interesting chewy texture. I can't say it's GOOD, but it's low in calories, high in fibre, fills you up, takes a long time to eat, and tastes pretty non-offensive.

#2 - 1/4 cup rolled oats, 1/4 cup psyllium, 5 egg whites, 1/4 cup pumpkin, cinnamon & artificial sweetener. Process in blender & bake in muffin cups 15 min. at 350 degrees. The texture and, well, the flavour, are NOTHING LIKE A MUFFIN, but low-calorie, high fibre, high-protein, you get to eat all four muffins, and they taste ok when you add some sugar-free jam.

C'mon people, confess! What are your bizarre diet concoctions?
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I try to only eat stuff I really really like and look forward to, that keeps me motivated! Can't say that everyone would like everything I eat, but I definitely wouldn't settle for anything that "isn't offensive" heh

Let me think of relatively weird stuff...

* I love roasted cherry tomatoes with a little sea salt over wilted spinach (made with garlic and lemon). When I eat this with wild rice, I mix it all together on the plate.

* My newest thing is 1 cup roasted butternut squash with 1 tbs of maple pumpkin butter.

* Big pan of roasted vegetables (tomatoes, carrots, garlic, sweet potato, onion, green beans, zucchini), mixed with 1/2 cup of cooked whole wheat couscous, topped with a little spicy stir fry sauce.

* Nuke a chopped apple in the microwave, add 1/2 cup frozen blueberries and nuke 1 more minute, add chopped walnuts
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:58 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

My cottage cheese and pumpkin is a little strange but I have recommended it. I also drink green smoothies which are kind of strange.

I've eaten things in the past that I thought were very weird but I enjoyed.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:00 PM   #4  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I'm like Glory--for the most part, I only eat things that I like. There are so many foods that I like/love/crave that I hate to waste calories on food that I'm not that into.

I do eat these Blueberry Fiber Cake things from Trader Joe's that are pretty bland though. They definitely don't taste like cake, but the ingredient list is really short and they don't have any preservatives or chemicals (even in the fridge, they'll grow mold in less than a week). They make an easy and filling pre-workout snack and I think they are much better for me than the chemical-filled energy bars I was eating. But they are definitely on the bland side and I wouldn't be eating them if I weren't trying to improve my diet. One of these days I'm going to buy some protein powder and try some the protein brownie/muffin recipes on this website to see if I can come up with a snack that tastes better.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:20 PM   #5  
Mel

OK, I eat both of your concoctions but add protein powder, baking powder, baking soda and a 1/2 cup applesauce to the second, and they do taste like muffins--at least as well as I can remember what a muffin tastes like.

The one that I eat which most people find offensive is tuna and cottage cheese mixed with salsa on brown rice. I used to eat in in a ww tortilla, but I can't eat wheat anymore.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 06:15 PM   #6  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I made some of the Atkins Revolution rolls. When I took them out of the oven, they went flat. I put butter and SF syrup on them and had them like pancakes. My family thought that was totally gross, but tasted OK to me. Lol.

I also eat my eggs and breakfast meat without bread, even with the egg yolks runny. This took some getting used to but I like it this way now.

My family also thinks it's gross that I use SF syrup to sweeten my Oats, but it tastes good to me.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:39 PM   #7  
it's always something

Add me to the list of dieters that only eat what we like Though I'm not sure I'd serve everything I eat to my non-dieting friends.

Last week I made a salad of shredded butterhead lettuce, shredded baby spinach, diced onions and roasted red peppers, and a big scoop of black rice. I made a dressing of roasted red pepper vinaigrette with a little bit of mayo, and tossed it all together. It tasted so goooood!! But it honestly looked like something out of the garbage
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:05 PM   #8  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Coworkers are grossed out by my usual breakfast of 1/2 c nf yogurt & 1/2 c lf cottage cheese and sugar free fruit jam.....it ain't pretty but it sure tastes good!!
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:33 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 240/207/135

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
The one that I eat which most people find offensive is tuna and cottage cheese mixed with salsa on brown rice.
That actually sounds pretty good! I eat something similar, but it's tuna, cottage cheese, and Italian dressing.
athenac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:42 AM   #10  
LLV

I like cottage cheese mixed with mashed potatoes.

Most of the stuff I eat my family thinks is gross. I eat a lot of squash and eggplant and they look at it and snarl and say, "That's disgusting, how do you eat that crap?"

Everything I eat is "weird" to them.

I like making chicken-egg salad pitas. I cook some Egg Beaters and mix it up with canned chicken and a few other ingredients (usually onion, celery and lite miracle whip) and stuff it into a whole grain pita.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:53 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
I love roasted cherry tomatoes with a little sea salt over wilted spinach (made with garlic and lemon). When I eat this with wild rice, I mix it all together on the plate.
Glory, this sounds a lot like a recipe I love....first you cook whole wheat orzo and drain it. Then add a little olive oil to the pan and some garlic. Add the orzo, a carton of small tomatoes (cherry or those ever littler ones) that are sliced in half and several cups of baby spinach. Cover and let it wilt for about 5 minutes. Then serve a slice of roasted fish on top. It's not only tasty, but pretty on the plate.

Quote:
I made a dressing of roasted red pepper vinaigrette with a little bit of mayo
Okay, you're going to have to give us the recipe for that~it sure sounds delish!!

I can't think of anything I eat right now that is a weird concoction, but pre-diet/lifestyle change, I did make a sandwich that most people thought was gross (but I adore~i grew up on it). Liver sausage (braunschweiger) and pickle relish sandwiches. Too bad the liver sausage is so high in calories! I also love the stuff on saltines.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:53 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I can't handle milk, or anything sweet or too carb-loaded first thing in the morning, so my breakfasts sometimes are a little weird. I will eat soup or a frozen dinner.

I do love oatmeal though, and I love putting nonfat no sugar added vanilla icecream on it or other hot breakfast cereals with a little nuts or dried fruit as a "cobbleresque" meal or snack. I just found unsweetened instant oatmeal in the healthfood store, but even with the sweet instant oatmeals, it's a lot lower in calorie than the "real" dessert.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:14 PM   #13  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I love diet gingerale and skim milk. People think it's gross but they think a Coke Float is OK. Just be sure to add the gingerale to the milk, not the other way around, or it curdles.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 04:51 PM   #14  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Chalk me up as another who only eats things I like--I cook dinner for Jeff and me every night, and I'm sure not about to cook 2 different meals, so I have to feed him whatever I make for myself Sometimes I try things that are really healthy, but they come out really gross, so I don't make them again. I once tried cottage cheese mixed with my vanilla protein powder, and it was pretty nasty, so never again. Actually, I don't eat any cottage cheese anymore because of the sodium--I have searched Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and my regular grocery stores, but I can't find any lower-sodium cottage cheese

Some non-dieters don't understand how I can eat something like just chicken without potatoes or bread or something with it (same with having just turkey sausage for breakfast with no fruit or pancakes or whatever). It's like in their minds, it's not really a meal unless you have your meat and 2-3 side dishes with it
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 04:58 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I had to explain my protein pancake to a coworker AGAIN today.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote