Thread: help I overeat
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2007, 07:51 PM   #12
GirlyGirlSebas
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Hi Kelly,

I'm so proud of you for quitting smoking! I have been in your shoes and I totally understand. I quit smoking in October 2005 and gained an additional 40 lbs. My problem was that I'm not really sure how to relax. I used to have a cigarette when I just needed a minute or two to myself. When I didn't have cigarettes, I turned to food. Now...I don't have food and I sometimes feel myself getting really tense. I don't want a cigarette...the thought hardly ever crosses my mind these days....but, I'm not sure how to relax. I think this might be your problem also. I posted this question on the Support thread and most people advised that exercise was the best de-stresser. Over the last 1 1/2 weeks, I've been walking every day for at least 40 minutes....and, they're right! It does work. Dr. Phil always says you replace one habit with another habit. We just have to find a habit that doesnt harm our body or anybody else. Sometimes, I sit in a hot bath with a book, a lot of times I 'surf' around 3FC. Whatever it takes.

Regarding the diet....I too have always had an all-or-nothing approach. You always hear about "this is not a diet...its a lifestyle....yada yada." Yep, they're right about that one too! Try to pick an eating plan and an exercise plan that you can live with for a long long time....then go for it. If you can quit smoking....Girlfriend, you can do anything!

"Live the life you've always imagined." Henry David Thoreau

GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote