Old 01-09-2007, 10:26 AM   #1  
Losing To Live

S/C/G: 289/266/140

Height: 5'5

Default Hot & Healthy Challenge Chicks 01/09/07

Well, with Jasmine being so busy, we all forgot to start our new weekly thread!
See, Jasmine? We're lost without you!

What is Hot & Healthy Challenge Chicks?
A bunch of us were all part of different challenges together, and when the challenges ended, we decided not to! So we all came together and decided to start a long term challenge group, and we called them the Hot & Healthy Challenge Chicks!

-Anyone can join the group no matter what your goals are or where you are in your weight loss journey.
-We are here to support each other, encourage each other, laugh together, and cry together.
-Our unified goal is to exercise, eat right (whatever diet plan we may each separately be following), and have fun!
-We encourage new members, as the more that join, the more friends we have to support us along the way!
-We only ask that you follow one teensy, tiny rule. At the beginning of each month we state what our goals are, and they can be WHATEVER YOU WANT!
Then at the end of the month we can share how well we did with our goals, etc. However, sharing at the end of the month is completely optional.

So let's do this!
martiniforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:46 AM   #2  
Losing To Live

stopeating:
YOU ARE AMAZING!!! 78 flights is nothing to smirk at! That is quite a challenge, and you are awesome for having done it!! I have a stepper, but I can't use it because of my hip. It aggravates it, and I end up paying for it for weeks after! And I am in LOVE with mushrooms! I would marry them if I could! Ladies, seriously you should try making your own pizza. I was successful, and it tasted great, and was quite a bit healthier than ordering pizza in/eating pizza out. This is because I was able to control what went in to my crust, in to my sauce, and how fresh/unprocessed my toppings were!
Hpnotq:
Don't you just love how great you feel after exercising? I always feel so refreshed when I decide to get off my butt and walk somewhere instead of getting MIL or DF to drive me!
Jo:
Good on starting the new program! My interest in this is definitely piquing at this point!
Sharon:
I hope you're feeling much better! I had a pretty nasty fever at the end of last week as well.
Nikaia:
I am so certain he appreciated it. I know that when one of my brothers sends me a quick message, even if it's just to say, "Hope you're doing well with your weight goals! Love ya!", I always just feel so good after. So I can only imagine that you driving so long to see him perform has got to do great things for his self esteem! You're a great sister
Jo:
Good for you for sticking to the program and starting it! I miss the rain so much from when I lived on the west coast (Canada), but I also don't mind all the beautiful snow we get in Northern Alberta. I love it!
Jasmine:
I never even doubted that you could get back to 208! And man, that broth sounds GOOD!
Sharon:
I'm really sorry to hear about your dad and DH. I hope they feel better! And I can definitely help you with your tickers. Are you making your own from scratch, or are you using a 3FC or tickerfactory.com ticker? Can you please send me a message with the code you are using with your tickers? I can correct any errors I see, test them, then send them back to you showing where I made the changes so that you can change them whenever you want
Nikaia:
At least you did something!!! Good for you!
cacmsc:
Welcome to H&HCC! We're always glad to have you (even if we have to share you with someone else LOL)!
Jo:
I'm bad with the eating at night. I try to hold off on my evening snack until about 8pm (I sleep at around 11). And I try to eat something low cal, but high filler. For this I usually eat a mini bag of SmartPop popcorn. It's actually quite a bit to eat, and takes me a while, but only 100 calories

I will be back today after work to update on myself
Old 01-09-2007, 11:20 AM   #3  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

Hey sweetie!! I forgot all about it! Thanx for starting it!! Can't wait for your update!!
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:27 AM   #4  
I AM healthy!

Mia:

Quote:
jasmine i made spanish rice with brown rice and the spanish beans i just used my family's recipe but used brown rice instead of white it tasted almost the same i actially got my workout this morning how is everyone
That sounds yummy! Today I am making chili beans and sp. rice! Maybe you should post your recipe in the healthy chicks recipe thread!

Canuk4:

That is so nice of you to take care of your dad! Sometimes I take a break from trying to lose too. Sometimes I just maintain which is nice too. WHat you copuld focus on instead is just straight healthy eating and exercise, sometimes it takes the pressure off trying to lose!!

Nikaia:

Hope you feel better soon!

cacmsc:

Welcome! We are glad to have ya!!

Is that really me:

Quote:
Just gone done 3.0 miles in 48:26 minutes on the treadmill. This does not include a 5 min. warmup (I reset the buttons). I don't know about anyone else, but I'm never really warmed up until about 15 minutes after I start but I sure don't have the luxury or time to warm up that long and then try to walk for over 45 minutes! So my goal will be to get those 3 miles done in 45 minutes. It'll probably take me forever to get to that point! Planning on taking the dog out later for a 1.5 mile walk. I'm sore from the Total Gym stuff I did yesterday (I took it pretty easy) but it's not too bad. Just very aware of my muscles in parts of my upper body.
I think I have heard before where 15 minutes is where your heart is just starting to get a good workout too.

Quote:
Eating is going ok. I'm using Fitday to track everything. I like it because all I have to do is put in the food and it does the math for me. Plus, I like the graphs it gives for protein, fat and carbs. I'm sticking to around 1500 calories per day. Hoping that's low enough cause sometimes even at that amount I get really hungry. I have found that a 40% carb, 30% protein and 30% combo seems to keep me satisified the longest. Not eating at night is still such a challenge for me but I've been very good about it. If I do eat something, I plan it and limit the amount of what I eat. If that scale doesn't budge on Friday, I'll just scream!!!
Yeah I love fitday too!!!
Old 01-09-2007, 11:34 AM   #5  
I AM healthy!

Canuk4:

Quote:
Dollypie, that is so great you are watching Grampa, nothing like fresh eggs, must admit though, I didn't have to take them from the chickens myself
Did someone mention fresh eggs? Yummmm!!!

Quote:
Well my weight is down, but I think it is only cause I was sick and didn't eat, we will see tomorrow. I was suppose to wait till Tues. to weigh, just couldn't.
*crosses fingers for ya*

Nikaia:

Quote:
o I drove for three and a half hours today, in total...I found out at midnight last night that my younger brother (he's 17 and a senior in high school) had the county honor band performance today, and when I asked him if he wanted me to come, he said yes, so...like an idiot, off I went for 1:45 driving each way for his concert. But he seemed so happy that I went to the effort...it pretty much made it worthwhile.
That was nice of ya! I do enjoy traveling too.

Quote:
Lunch was relatively healthy, a turkey-avocado-lettuce wrap...and dinner was slightly less so, since my brother wanted to go out for pizza after the concert. But that's okay; it wasn't *horrid*.
Good for you!!

Quote:
And now, I am off to shower and go to bed. Tomorrow morning, I'm going to restart my WATP program. Someone please kick me in the *** about that tomorrow to make sure I did it? Thanks.
How did it go?

Canuk4:

Quote:
Hi there, everyone seemed to do pretty good today, I did good food wise, but could not get myself moving in the exercise dept. I think that is 3 days now, considering I was sick, I am giving myself a break on that, but please please let me be up to exercising tomorrow. I cannot lose weight with diet alone!
Get back on the exercise today!

Quote:
(Anyone know where Jasmine is?)
Awww thanx for asking! Just busy trying to play super wife and mama and cook everything from scratch!! and then boil the bones and soak the beans AND the rice, etc.....hahahaha

Is that really me:

Quote:
Made meatballs sandwiches for dinner w/provolone cheese. I really wanted the roll so that 's why I kept everything in check earlier in the day!
That sounds great!!!

Okay I am going to try to take a peek at the previous page in a minute!
Old 01-09-2007, 01:47 PM   #6  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

*hides from Jasmine's query about workouts* Um...yeah...I didn't. I slept in, instead. Bad me. Although I'd also like to point out that because of moving out and then back in over winter break I have NO idea where my workout clothes and shoes are...which is kind of problematic.

In other news, I just signed up for a 10-day backpacking trip to the Grand Canyon over spring break! I'm so excited! Course, this also means I need to start kicking my *** to really get in shape - not lose weight - get in shape to do some hardcore hiking and outdoor stuff in two months or so. Wish me luck! When my Enell gets in, I'm going to try C25K to get myself started. I may have the strength in pure muscle terms to lift and carry things, but my cardiovascular endurance is terrible. Running would probably help quite a lot with that. I'll see if I can get my dad to buy me proper running shoes in the name of this trip.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:06 PM   #7  
Constantly Tweaking

S/C/G: 172/159/130

Height: 5'2" (give or take)

Nik, I am soooo jealous! A 10 day back packing trip to the Grand Canyon? I would give my eye teeth to do that. Seriously! How cool is that going to be? Are you riding a donkey down to the bottom of the canyon? The three places I'd love to see before I kick the bucket are Alaska, the Grand Canyon and Ireland, in that order. Maybe one of these days when the kids are bigger (read that as independent!) my husband and I will plan a trip. I really wish I had travelled more when I was younger and didn't have all these responsibilities!

I'll bookmark this thread. I didn't know you started a new one each week. Just got back from walking the dog 1.5 miles. I was reading a lot of threads on here and found one that gave some links to find out how many calories you burn per exercise. It's way different from what Fitday says. Fitday lists the calories burned as half from what this other site (caloriecontrol.org) says. I have some questions posted on the Exercise link; maybe someone can clear up the huge discrepency.

Hope you're all having a good day!

Jo
Is that really me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:24 PM   #8  
Ivy135

S/C/G: 219/171/135

Height: 5"4

Hi Gang!!!
I was MIA for a while but just got back in the groove wish you all had a wonderful New Years!!! Wishing the best of Health Love and Happiness to all in this 2007 year. And I'm sorry I missed the secret Santa hope little egg is not to upset.

HOPE THIS INFO WILL HELP EVERYONE THIS IS WHAT I GO BY AS PER MY DR.
FYI FYI FYI FYI FYI

CARBS is about 30-40% The type of carb you eat is very important.

1. Decrease starchy carbs including pasta,rice,potatoes,and bread.
2. Do not eat bread after 10:00 am and do not eat free sugar.
3. Increase intake of fruits,veggies,salads, no fat soups and fiber.
PROTEIN
Protein should comprise about 40% of diet.
FATS
fats should comprise 20-30% of diet.
1. Eat low or no fat when possible. When eating fats, or cooking with oils eat monounsaturated fats such as olive oil and canola oil.
GENERAL RECOMMENDATIONS
1. Drink 8 glasses of water a day.
2. Coffee and or tea in allowed in moderation.
3. Refrain from eating late in the evening.
4. You may consume alcohol in moderation although it slows metabolism.
Note after initial period of weigh loss your metabolic rate will slow down and weight may stabilize temporarily this is known as plateauing do not become frustrated.
Exercise
The most important type of exercise for fat loss is aerobic.
Try to exercise slowly and advance to 45 min a day 5 days a week.
Strenuous exercise is not necessary and may be counter productive.
Goal is to maintain your target heart rate within a zone that calories and fat are burned efficiently.
Example stair-master, jogging, brisk walking bicycle riding.
Weight training not advised.
Duration and frequency are very important factors in your exercise program.
During first 20 min of aerobic carbs are used for energy.
Only there after does the fat burning begin.
The duration is more important than the intensity.

Best of luck,

Ivy
my ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:35 PM   #9  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

Sounds like you have a pretty strict regimen, Ivy. I disagree with a fair number of those points, but if it works for you, it works for you. For example...why not eat bread after 10 AM? If it's whole-grain bread, and you're not eating it in massive amounts, I don't understand what the time of day has to do with it.

And just FYI, weight-training can be a great aid to weight-loss, for a great many reasons. Muscle burns more calories at rest than does fatty tissue. Not to mention, even if you're dropping weight, if you don't tone your muscles up nicely, you're going to still be the same body type as at a higher weight, just proportionally smaller. And then there are all the health benefits of light weight training...it literally turns back the clock as far as bone density and such goes.

But as I said, if it works for you, go for it.

Jo, you're gonna hate me...I've been to Alaska already, when I was 16. It was gorgeous; I really hope you get to go there someday! Absolutely stunning scenery up there. And this will actually be my second trip to the Canyon - although the first time was when I was only 12 and went with the Girl Scouts. This is going to be considerably different.

*sigh* I'm planning on going to two places that are hiring to try to get a job, but I can't find anything suitable for job-hunting that fits me, and without money from a job I can't afford to buy any new clothes. What the **** am I supposed to do???
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:12 PM   #10  
Mardi Gras'07 New Orleans

S/C/G: 253/253/160

thanks for the info Ivy, I guess everyone's body respond to different eating styles than others one thing i do believe no human body is the same and all reacts different. My hubby for example can gain weight one week then eat very little for a few days and lose all. His sister lost alot of weight by not eating meals but snacking on junk food i still have yet to figure out whats up with me. I go the my weight loss clinic in 2 weeks so ill discuss that with them
miafluker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:33 PM   #11  
Constantly Tweaking

S/C/G: 172/159/130

Height: 5'2" (give or take)

Nik, Alaska AND the Grand Canyon?? Lucky, lucky you! I think Alaska just must be the most beautiful place in the whole wide world. I'd love to take a cruise ship to see the pristine landscape and to HEAR it. Hope that doesn't sound odd. Maybe someday! Hey, do you have any bucks to spare for clothes at all? My kids wore a lot of consignment clothes when they were little cause they outgrew everything so fast. Maybe they might have suitable interview clothes; the cost would be minimal and sometimes you can find some really, really nice stuff. Just a thought!

Ivy -- I agree w/some of the recommendations of your Dr. I've been tracking my calories on Fitday and it's interesting to see that on the days when I eat a 40% carb, 30% protein and 30% fat I feel the fullest and most satisfied (foodwise of course!). And while I am not a big bread eater to begin with, I don't understand the no bread after 10am rule or the ones about the potatoes. Spuds rule! A baked potato w/lite sour cream instead of butter and some scallions or onion powder -- yum! And don't even get me started on yams! Baked w/barely a pat of butter. Fills me up, good for me, nothing processed AND satisfies the sweet tooth. I have also found that if I cut the starchy carbs too much, I have tremendous trouble falling and staying asleep. Cutting PROCESSED carbs is a good thing (pasta and rice in moderation) but I gotta nix the no spuds rule -- at least for me!

I agree w/the fat to an extent. Fat satiates; makes you feel full. I'd rather have a reduced amount of something w/fat or possibly reduced fat than to have more w/non-fat. It's not worth it to me if I'm hungry 2 hours later. But that's just me; whatever works to get you to your goal is the key, right? Thanks for sharing all the info!

OT, anyone here a "House" fan? I just caught the latest episode. God, how can you NOT just love this guy?! Such a clever one he is!!!

CYa!!

Jo
Is that really me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:11 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 165/165/150

Height: 5-8

Talking

(I posted this on the other one cause I didn't see the "post here" sigh!!)

Oh me!!! I want to play!! I started just a few days before the New Year, but kicked it in to high gear AT the New Year

1. Starting weight- 168

2. I walk two miles each night and because I work on the third floor of my building, I walk the stairs at least three times a day. I never take the elevator.

3. How I'll be watching my food? My day consists of mmmm coffee in the morning & maybe half a bagel, I bought a personal mixer I have taken to work so, I have a fruit shake (fresh or frozen fruit, half of a lil carton 98% ff yoplait yougurt and water) twice a day, one in the morning on my first break and one in the afternoon about an hour after my lunch break. I have a Lean Cuisine for lunch (because they are easy and yummy..) and then dinner, normally a lean piece of meat & a large salad. I also drink about 100 oz. of water each day- or five bottles. I don't deny myself if I want a handful of pretzels or a cookie (though I don't always WANT them).. because if I do, I have found I am more likely to jump off the healthy eating band wagon and back into eating crummy!

My WI days are Tuesday

My New Year's Resolutions (& not just the health ones. lol)
To reach my goal of 135 in the coming year and STAY THERE. (#1 goal)
To pay off my personal credit cards.. (albeit small)
To begin piano lessons (I've always wanted to play)
To take a "real" vacation/honeymoon with my husband (we got married in August and only got away for three days).
SD Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:19 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 242/229.5/135

Height: 5'3"

This time it was just a day, or part of and so much to read. Nikaia- backpacking for 10 days and the Grand Canyon, WOW! You better get those runners real fast. In regards to clothes, I too was going to mention a second hand shop, as long as you was thing before wearing, or a store even cheaper, with donated clothes. I've done that before, I got myself a nice coat this past Nov. for $10. Or what about borrowing something, at least for the interview? Just some ideas!

Well today was my weigh in day, now remember I have been sick, and not eating all I am supposed too:
I was down to 232 today! Yeah, lets just hope it sticks, that is a loss of 5.5 lbs. I did exercise (floor only) for about 50 mins. today, but what ever bug I have I just can't kick, feeling lousy again tonight and had to have a late afternoon nap. My dh went over and looked after my Dad today, what a sweetie, sometimes! Of course I got him stuff for his cold yesterday and I think he is feeling better, at least we got a good nights sleep, no coughing.

I am having a surprise birthday party for my Dad on March 4th, (if my nerves stand up to it), anyhow as my Dad is quite hard of hearing, I thought it would be better to have just adults, no children. My Dad can't hear anything if there is a lot of noise. I still have to propose this to my nieces and nephews. My point is to get it so, Dad can enjoy as much as possible his kids and grandkids, the children can visit him at his place on his actual birthday or on the days before the actual party. My nieces work part-time and have cars, so this should not be a problem. Dad will be 95.

I have already had to deal with two brothers and there vacations, tonight, my daughter was here, her 30th is on the 5th of March, the day after the planned party, she told me she has that day off and what if they go away for the weekend. I am getting to the point that it is, if you can make it great, if not I am sorry.

WHAT DO YOU LADIES THINK!!!!
Sharon
Canuk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:39 AM   #14  
Losing To Live

Firstly.
Jo:
I AM SOOO A HOUSE FAN! I just watched the latest episode tonight. He's so going to jail, and I am absolutely terrified for him! The whole time I was just like "TAKE THE DAMN DEAL!!"

Le sigh. I love Tuesday nights

To finish up with personals:

Jasmine:
No problem!

Nikaia:
You're totally gonna have to get in shape, but we know you can do it! It'll be a great adventure, and I can't wait to hear about it when you're done! As for something nice to wear, have you checked the second hand shops? Usually I just wear a pair of black slacks with dress shoes, and then I wear a button blouse (nothing fancy, just a suit shirt that goes with a suit jacket, with some colours, makes it pop, and takes attention away from my hips ).

Ivy:
Welcome back!!!

Jo:
Jasmine shared a plethora of information about eating fats (to be specific good fats). Long story short, they can also aid in weight loss. I follow 50% Carbs, 30% Fat (good fats), and 20% Protein. Most days my protein will be a little higher, and my carbs are a littler lower, but that seems to be my successful hunger killer. But we're definitely all different with different needs. I love that about this group, that we all kind of just let each other do our thing, and support each other.

Mimi:
Welcome! Your routine looks great! What diet plan are you following, if any? Or are you focusing on exercising and making healthier food choices? Fruit smoothies are tried and true. Since I've joined 3FC, Jasmine got me in to eating fruit smoothies in the morning, and now my day goes all wrong food-wise if I don't get my fruit in the morning!

Whew, okay, personals are up to date.
The holidays for me as I mentioned went well. I didn't focus on my diet, but simply focused on portion control and spending time with family.

I was sick over the last couple of days with a really high fever, but kept going to work, so I ended up prolonging the recovery, and was sick all weekend . I feel great now, though!

A blizzard rolled in this evening, so it's very... white outside. Dark and white (if that makes sense!).

I am loving my new skillet! I love being able to create unusual food creations, and having control over what I cook it in (oil, spray, etc), and how much of what I put in it. And because the veggies are all fresh, I know it's not processed!

I've had a couple of old friends from my past (8+ years) come back in to my life, and that's great. As well as my dearest friend that kind of disappeared for 2 years off working in the oil patch. She's fantastic!

Well, in the end I guess there really wasn't much to update regarding my diet .

Have a great night everyone!
Old 01-10-2007, 12:44 AM   #15  
Losing To Live

Sharon:
I agree 100% with you. The focus of this celebration is your father. It is planned well enough in advance that your daughter can decide not to go away that weekend. If she chooses to, that is her decision, but it shall not impede the celebration plans! If you start catering to everyone else's demands during your dad's special day, then soon the day will be lost, and no one will be satisfied. Focus on your dad, and let the rest fall in to place You're great for setting it up for him, though!
I also like the plan to set up 2 separate occasions, one for the kids, one for the adults, that way the kids don't feel left out. Smart move!

I found the only way to kick this horrible sickness for me was to just stop and rest, as hard as it was to do, and let go of the stuff I was responsible for. But it worked, and I feel better now. Take some Sharon time and rest!

<3

P.S. I'm still playing around with the tracker thing, and got your message, and will respond soon!

-Mande