Old 01-09-2007, 01:54 PM   #1  
Cruisin' for a Losin'

S/C/G: 278/249/170

Height: 5'9"

Arrow In search of teachers losing weight!

Hi everyone!

I am 24 and a 3rd year teacher. I am currently teaching 4th grade. I love my job, but it can make weight loss hard. I seem to work a lot of hours (grading paper and lesson plans take forever!!!) and eating healthy is also a challange. My kids are always bringing me "treats" and the faculty room!! Yikes there is always something delicious!

Just looking for some tips and maybe some buddies that can help in the very special place of teaching!
Chestnutlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/158/135

Height: 5'5

Hi my name is Angela and I have mia for a couple of months. We used to have a very active teacher thread but since October it has really died. I am also a 4th grade teacher. I had a baby in June and lost all of my baby weight right away but I still have some weight I need to lose. I did really well for a while but when I returned to school I put several pounds back on. Now that the holidays are over I really need to get busy losing again. I will try to stay active again and hopefully some of the other teachers will start posting again.
babybelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

Maybe you can start a weightloss group with some of the other school employees. Perhaps meet once a week for an hour. This way you'll have support when going into the lounge so you'll avoid the snacks. I wish the girls around my job wanted to do this, I had hinted but no biters!
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:58 PM   #4  

Default Me! Me!

Howdy! I'm a 4th year teacher, teaching 3rd grade!
I started sort of reducing my sugar intake mid-Nov., but got really serious Dec. 6th. I'm down 15 pounds so far.

It's funny, because people laugh at me at school because when I need to make copies, I carry each page to the copy machine one at a time, make that copy, then walk all the way back to my room for the next page. Hey, whatever it takes, right?

I also quit eating school lunches, even though I LOVE our cooks and their great food!

I hate sitting at my desk and really want to get away from it, but it's hard. If you've got other tips, share!!

Jennifer
sooooperbizee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:14 AM   #5  
Cruisin' for a Losin'

Hey Babybelly I was here about a year ago and remember the thread...where did it go! Lets bring it back shall we!

Mami- interesting idea, a couple go to WW together but they go on a day I have grad school, and I don't have the extra bucks anyway.

Jennifer I love the idea of getting in some walking. I have a pedometer maybe I should wear it and start pacing when I teach :-)

I decided the best way to start at school was to increase my water intake. I fill a 1 liter bottle of water and try to drink it before lunch (I start at home in the am) and fill it again at lunch and finish it by the end of the day. Now it is just a matter of scheduling the pee break!

Good luck Mari
Old 01-10-2007, 01:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 266/225/130

Height: 5'1"

Hi teachers! I am a Special Education inclusion teacher for grade K-3 in Mississippi. I managed to lose about 30 pounds last year...some on my own and some at Weight Watchers. Now, I am following Dr. Oz's You On a Diet plan. I have lost almost 10 pounds so far. I have been trying to eat low-fat and low-sugar and less processed. Also, I have been walking thrity minutes every day...no excuses and doing upper and lower body strength training everyday (I rotate upper and lower each day so that I only do one or the other).

I have lost nearly 10 pounds since January 1st and my husband has lost almost 15 so far. The plan is not hard to follow. We are not hungry and we are more energetic.

I hope to hear more from you guys soon.
MelodyAM75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 217/See Ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Hi! I'm a 2nd year teacher, teaching High School Computers. I've been pretty good about bringing lunches. I either bring in a lean cuisine pizza, or some cottage cheese and popcorn. Whats hard for me is that I don't have a ton of energy when I leave school for the day, so working out and making a healthy dinner isn't always on my mind. I tend to stop and buy food on the way home, and sit and grade papers and plan lessons all night. I tried hard over break to accomplish one feat, which is working out every day, and I'm trying to not eat out as much as well. So we'll see how things go now being back in school, and also taking a masters class msyelf. Wish me luck!

Aubrey
KCWMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:03 PM   #8  
Cruisin' for a Losin'

Welcome Melody and Aubrey!

I am really trying to get the teacher thread going! Only fellow teachers really undersand the exhaustion surrounding teaching.

Melody- would be really curious to hear about YOU..I watched some of it on discovery health and am curious how your finding it!

Aubrey- I totally am with you on the exhaustion. I am teaching, taking two grad school classes and tutor some on the side as well. I try to cook and plan over the weekend so that when I get home I can get in a quick workout and something quick to eat.

Hope everyone is having a really good day!

Mari
Old 01-10-2007, 08:52 PM   #9  

Mari-Thanks for starting this thread! 2 L of water a day? Pee breaks would be when?? I guess that's why we have "teacher bladders" LOL

Angela-Congrats on the baby and losing the baby weight! Go you!

Mami-Just do it! You've lost already, way to go!

Melody-You have more energy than I do girl! I'm doing good if I work out 3 times a week. Keep it up!

Aubrey-Computers, that would be such a great challenge. I'm in an eMints room (11 computers in the room and a SmartBoard) and it's grustrating when they don't work but a blessing when they do. Keep losing, youa re going to do it!

Have a horrible cold, couldn't eat yesterday at all, made myself eat an apple for dinner. Had to go today to have blood work done to recheck thyroid, so hopefully that will go well.

Have a terrific Thursday ya'll!

Jennifer
sooooperbizee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:44 PM   #10  

Mari,

I really like the You Plan. Really it's not a diet, but how you should eat and exercise for the rest of your life. I have yo-yoed since I was about 11 so I need to make a change for good. You can visit www.youonadiet.com website and read the 60 Second Summary of the book for the gist of the program. The plan encourages people to eat basically the same things for breakfast and lunch everyday so you can avoid overeating when you have too many choices. Then, you also try to cut out sugar, partially-hydrogenated oils, transfats, etc. Basically you cut out the junk. Then you eat lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean meats. It's a practical and healthy plan. Also, the book says to walk 30 minutes a day...no excuses and do strength training at least 3 times per week.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:38 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 176/166/135

Height: 5'2"

Default A support group for me

Wow...a weight control support group for teachers. I am a fourth grade teacher who is thinking about making a change to high school. I am also a mom of two kids, ages 14 and 11. I am so glad to be in a group with women who understand the hardships of losing weight.

Hugs,
Rhonda
mykidsmom66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:45 PM   #12  

Height: 5'5"

I start student teaching next week...does that count?
peaceful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:20 AM   #13  
Cruisin' for a Losin'

Thumbs up Happy Friday!

Welcome Rhonda!

Yes Peaceful it absolutely counts! You will soon learn the "dis"pleasures of birthday cupcakes, faculty room snacks and a severe lack of pee breaks!

Melody-sounds really interesting I may have to check it out. The "more energy" thing has definately piqued my interest!

Jennifer- hope your feeling better!

I am having a really good week. I have gotten most of my water in each day. Have stayed pretty true to my calories and have managed to do at least 30 minutes of exercise everyday!

Now the hard part....the weekend and it is a three day weekend! Yikes....I will try try try!

Mari
Old 01-12-2007, 01:00 PM   #14  

Mari,

I know what you mean about the weekends...too much time to think about eating... Weekends are the hardest time for me, too. We have a 3-day weekend as well. I have a lot of fruit and salad in the refrigerator so hopefully I will reach for that stuff first. Maybe I will even do some extra exercise.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:29 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 160/158/135

Height: 5'5

Hey ladies!! I promised I would not stay away for too long. I have had a stressful few days at school. Grades due, evaluation, and now 3 major sets of paperwork are due. Ughh...I have homework!! The weather is really warm out right now and I should go for a walk but my ds is sick so I really should keep him inside.

I really need to get to drinking more water. I am breastfeeding and it seems like every drop goes there instead of filling my tummy.

Melody you have been such a good girl! I remember when you were so excited about joining WW. Good for you for sticking with it and look at all those pounds gone. Does Dr. Oz's book have sample menu's? Dh and I really are trying to cook healthy meals and doing pretty good but we seem to get stuck with the same meals over and over or meals that need to be grilled and who wants to do that all winter. Plus, Dh is picky! Melody can you believe all of these new faces! It is so great this thread is alive again. I was sad when the last one died but I wasn't doing my part to keep it active either.
babybelly is offline   Reply With Quote