Old 01-09-2007, 07:50 PM   #1  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

Talking Veggies, Veggies everywhere

As like most of you, I am upping my vegetable intake. I think it would help me out if I heard how some of you prepare their veggies. For example, I have never had a brussel sprout. Wouldn't even know how to prepare them.

I'll start....I love green beans...I cook them in boiling water for about 5 minutes, blanch them with cold water, then saute some garlic and oil and put the beans in the pan. Saute until slightly browned. YUMMY!
Monkeybabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:53 PM   #2  
Cruisin' for a Losin'

S/C/G: 278/249/170

Height: 5'9"

I recently discovered squash! It is so tasty and can add a really creamy texture. I actually use pureed squash in my Mac and cheese to cut down on the fat!

Mary
Chestnutlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:58 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

monkiebabies - if you want to take those green beans up a notch, add the zest of a lemon just before the green beans are done and cook for just a minute or so more.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:10 PM   #4  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

I only have a limited number of vegetables that I cook - I don't know if I'm just lazy or if I really do like raw veggies best! But I make Zucchini Sticks every once in a while for something different (feel free to interpret this as "when I feel that I've already had too many starchy vegetable servings that week!").

1 Zucchini
1 egg white
salt (to taste)
pepper (to taste)
chili powder (to taste)
3 T Italian bread crumbs
1 T parmesan cheese

Beat egg white, salt, pepper & chili powder.
Dip zucchini sticks into egg white mixture.
Put the bread crumbs in a baggie and drop the zucchini in a few at a time - shake, shake, shake.
Spray cookie sheet with Pam & put sticks on it in a single layer.
Spray Pam lightly on top of the sticks.
Bake @ 400 for 20 minutes, then broil a few more minutes (to get them crunchy)
Sprinkle on the parmesan cheese.
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:12 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Brussel sprouts are one of my favorites. But my very favorite is cauliflower. It has a mere 14 calories for 1/2 cup, I probably eat about 2 cups of it at a time. Like for lunch today. I put it in a pot, with about and inch and a half of water to which I've added about 2 tsps of powdered consome', bring to a boil, then simmer for about 12 mins til it's fairly soft, not mushy (yuck). That's how I cook the brussel sprouts as well, right there in the same pot. And sometimes during the last minute of cooking I throw in some sugar snap peas. Then I've got me a big ol' bowl of yummy veggies.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:19 PM   #6  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I love sweet potatoes. I buy the smallest ones I can find and bake in the oven whole. I'll do a few at a time and keep them in the fridge for dinner for a few nights. I eat them plain. They are so sweet and tasty! They are super nutritious too. Huge amounts of vitamin A.

Sweet potato nutrition info
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:19 PM   #7  

I steam brussel sprouts in my microwave or I buy the frozen ones and cook them again in the microwave. Cauliflower is great but it really give me gas. *blush*

I love pretty much every veggie too. I hated them all growin up but now I love them. My mother was always a big veggie eater so I had a good role model even though I don't ever remember touching them as a child/teen.
melissalaurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:23 PM   #8  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

I've started adding shredded zucchini to some dishes, and it's great!! Bulks up the food so I feel fuller and is really low in calories.

I also LOVE spaghetti squash and eggplant. Can't get enough of 'em. The best part about the squash is I used to be such a pasta freak. I have 0 self-restraint when it comes to pasta. The squash is the perfect substitute!!
KnitALisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:37 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

You might try roasting your vegetables. My DH, who would never eat a brussel sprout before, loves them roasted. I also roast cauliflower and broccoli. I like them steamed, too, but if you're a novice veggie eater, you might want to start out with roasting.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:02 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I love brussel sprouts! They are good braised, steamed, roasted or other ways. I like roasting veggies in the oven but I'm usually pretty lazy. I buy frozen veggies these days, cover them with a wet paper towel and microwave them. This steams them. With fresh veggies, I usually braise them in water or steam them.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:11 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/130

Height: 5 feet 1 inch (in shoes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeybabies View Post
I'll start....I love green beans...I cook them in boiling water for about 5 minutes, blanch them with cold water, then saute some garlic and oil and put the beans in the pan. Saute until slightly browned. YUMMY!

yummy...when is dinner? I will be right over
okiechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:20 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/130

Height: 5 feet 1 inch (in shoes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Brussel sprouts are one of my favorites. But my very favorite is cauliflower. It has a mere 14 calories for 1/2 cup, I probably eat about 2 cups of it at a time. Like for lunch today. I put it in a pot, with about and inch and a half of water to which I've added about 2 tsps of powdered consome', bring to a boil, then simmer for about 12 mins til it's fairly soft, not mushy (yuck).
Sorry I haven't figured out the multiple quote in one post yet (actually JUST figure out the quote thing)
Anyway, if your cauliflower gets mushy, drain and whip (like mashed potatoes) and spray on some butter spray. I haven't been able to fool my son into thinking they are mashed potatoes, but they do the trick when I am craving them.

As for the brussel sprouts. You can have my share! I will forever be three years old when it comes to those things. EWWWWWWWWWWWW!
okiechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:29 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 280/241/150

Height: 5'5"

ahhh...veggies.... sometimes I crave them and other times I have to make myself eat them.... One thing I like to do is make a pot of soup that is just veggies...I like to do this especially when it's chilly... not that it ever gets or stay very cold here in Alabama Here's one thing I do

Skinny Soup

1 large can tomato juice
2 large onions
1 head green cabbage - cut into bite size pieces
4 stalks of celery - cut into bite size pieces
2 cups baby carrots - cut into bite size pieces
2 cans green beans - drained
1 can petite diced tomatoes
Pepper, parsley, oregano, and basil to taste
1 can of corn, drained (optional)

Combine spices, cabbage, carrots, and tomatoe juice in large pot. Add water until all veggies are submerged Bring to a boil and then simmer for 1 hour. Add green beans, tomatoes and onion. (I add the corn too) Simmer for 30 minutes. Each 1 cup of soup is 2 Veggie servings a a little bread if you add the corn (starchy veg). My big ol' pot makes about 12 cups of soup

yummy! Once made, I have a good quick lunch for several days!!!

Reba
RebaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:44 PM   #14  

I love to take fresh Squash and cut it up like you are going to fry it.
( add salt, pepper.. ) Sometime I would use that spray butter no fat no calorie stuff...
Put it on baking sheets and cook it for I GUESS 15 to 20 minutes..
Its really good and low calorie..
wchs2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:51 AM   #15  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I love he roasted veggies! Squash and onions taste so sweet when roasted.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote