Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-06-2007, 09:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 271/264.0/160

Height: 5' 7"

Default Has anyone tried Curves?

We have a local Curves that I was thinking of going to. I just wondered if anyone has had any experience with them?

I only have an exercise bike at home and would really like to get out to a gym, but I'm a little more shy and would really like to find a "women's only" kind of place.

Anne
BarrieMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/188/145

Height: 5'5''

It is a nice way to meet other women, and the staff is very supportive.

However, if you get bored easily, or are not very social, it may not be for you.

Personally, I like a gym better. I like the variety. I wish I had an all female gym I could go to also, but I have never had a problem with men at my gym......except for those that do not wipe down equipment after their workout lol

Nancy
backtome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 206/198/145

Height: 5'7

I got bored of Curves long before my one-year membership expired. I'm sure it's a good work out but I found that 30 seconds per machine didn't give me enough time to ensure I was using proper posture and form for each circuit.
Cubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 11:12 PM   #4  

Height: 5'5

The thing I found with curves that it's a nice place to get active again but if you really want to achieve real results a gym might be best. I just couldn't figure how the resistance suitable for an 80 year old woman would still be effective for my weight loss.

That's just my opinion, some women have lost inches with curves but I just feel it's not really an effective cardio workout.

And I meant absolutely no offense to any 80 year old women with that comment, it was just an example.

Try Lucille Roberts or a women's Nautilias gym.
truelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 02:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 192/189/150

Height: 5'3''

Well, I was 15 when I joined Curves for about a year, and I ended up losing about 20 pounds, but it was tough simply because I couldn't drive there. It is for women of all ages, it works if you keep with it. It gets boring after a while, but it's a great start. If you ask me, you could set up a few machines in your house and have just as much success.
DallasLucille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:18 PM   #6  

thanks for the tips... i was also thinking of checking out curves! Glad i saw this post!
susie_sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 171/160/147

Height: 5'6"

You know Curves can be a cardio workout depending on what you do on the "resting pads" or whatever they call them in between in the resistance equipment. Most women I saw there would just march in place but I found that wasnt enough for me. I would do kickboxing upper body stuff and leg lifts if the pad was adjacent to the wall or basically jump or get funky...

I didn't stay with Curves because it was a little freakly how it is in a circle and we all just look at each other, that plus the Christian music they would play is not to my taste but it was a nice way to get back into excersizing as I knew very little about gym stuff!
Jenna8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:25 AM   #8  

But the workout you get from jumping and getting funky for 30 seconds at a time can't match the workout you get from half an hour on a treadmill or a bike or an elliptical.

If a supportive women-only environment that caters to older and out-of-shape women is what you need to get you to become more active, Curves may be for you. IMO the mental part is the only good reason to choose Curves over a proper gym that you can continue to use as you become fitter and your needs change, though.

Also, if your politics are left of center you might google Gary Heavin, Curves founder and corporate owner, and read up on where he donates his profits.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:34 PM   #9  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I've been in Curves for nearly 2 years. I'm getting ready to switch to the Y though because of the hours. Hubby works late, and I can't get a sitter in order to get there before they close. With the Y, I can put the baby in their daycare. However...

Curves is an excellent way to exercise. You get what you put into it. As someone said, you can make the workout as intense as you want. And yes, it CAN match what you could do on a treadmill. I always added to my workout afterward by using the Curves weighted hoola hoop for 10 minutes. Some days I would focus on just the strength training, putting my all into the machines and tiring my muscles. Other days I'd go for aerobics and do lunges, the football running thing (I know that's not the technical term LOL), fast leg or knee lifts, etc. I got my heart rate into the aerobic range. I never got bored with it myself because I could change what I did on the resting stations and make the workout a bit different each time, and because it was a good place to socialize. I just didn't socialize DURING my workout, as I tended to focus less on my workout if I did.

As for Gary Heavins politics...hmmm. I donate my income where I choose for it to go to. I'm only glad people don't pick their friends that way, or I'd be minus a LOT of friends who didn't share my views.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote