South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 07:34 PM   #1  
We'll all get there!!!!

S/C/G: 225/tic/130

Height: 5'4"

Default So i'm going for SB!

So i've tried everyother diet out there, and some have worked and some have not. I've recently heard about SB and i know 3 people who have had great successes. So now i'm giving this a try. I'm on day two...and its not so bad so far without the carbs.. as on the "Oprah Challenge" I coudn't eat carbs for a month (white bread, potatoes, rice, etc.) But i've got some questions about Phase 1: Oatmeal: Too much sugar? Also, Does anyone have any meal bars they could recommend for Phase 1? (like Slim Fast etc, but I know those have a lot of sugar in them.) I'm usually on the go, so i have to grab a bar for breakfast. Anyway, I'm hoping this one really works b/c my goal is eventually 70 pds. And i'm -10 so far...so 60 to go!!! I'm looking forward to having support from you guys! Wish me luck!
PS. What about workouts? How long? Anything to recommend?
Old 01-02-2007, 07:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/178/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi there! I am just getting back to SBD after a too long 'plateau'
How did you lose your first 10? just curious have to say I LOVE LOVE LOVE SBD-after ph1 i have some muffins I make to have on the go. They are generally a variation on; oatmeal that has been processed into flour, shredded carrot, orange and zest, walnuts etc
Oatmeal is not a Ph1 item.
I also make the bean brownies in muffin cups and grab those for a quick snack, not enough protein for a complete breakfast tho,(but there ARE Ph1 variations of the recipe) but I also eat hard boiled egg whites (Sparky my cat gets the yolk)
Working out will definately help with the weightloss and toning etc-what is your fitness level now? I would say do not over do it and hurt yourself or get discouraged, but work with a trainer if you can and build slowly.
Best of luck
Wild Woman
Old 01-02-2007, 07:54 PM   #3  
We'll all get there!!!!

S/C/G: 225/tic/130

Thanks for the advice! I lost the actually 24 pds on the Oprah Challenge...but due to 3 months of no exercising i gained back 14 =[ so im ready to try again. I would consider myself in the "intermediate" fitness range, and i just love running listening to my ipod. =] thanks again for the help and good luck!
Old 01-02-2007, 10:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/178/145

Height: 5'8"

Default WAIT? WHAT? you LOVE to run????

eeek
j/k
I've been thinking of getting an ipod for my time on the precor.

when I was really in my weightloss zone before I got custody of my sisters kids-I was up to 3 hours a day 6 days a week in the gym-and even then I would plateau-what would break that was when I started doing yoga 2x a week-just something completely diffrent and not at all aerobic (does deep breathing count?) but THAT would kick my butt believe it or not!
I DO tend to be a creature of habit and not want to change my routine too much. (aside from increasing weight or reps or time on cardio)
Old 01-03-2007, 09:58 AM   #5  

I'm not aware of any meal replacement bars that would be okay for phase 1. You should be eating unprocessed food as much as possible. Take a look at the phase 1 food list.

As far as oatmeal, it is never allowed in phase 1 and in phase 2, the only oatmeal that is allowed is old fashioned oats or steel cut oats. I eat my old fashioned with Splenda, cinnamon and fruit every morning but I am in phase 2.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:56 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Cate426 - sorry I missed welcoming you. It's busy in here.

Please, please read the Phase I Revised food list. Oatmeal and bars are NOT allowed when you start this diet. The first two weeks are the detox weeks and should be unprocessed foods and no grains. Legumes are fine.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:25 PM   #7  

I will tell you right now...Ruthxxx has been a really big help to me getting started on SB phase 1 and finding my way around this site...God Bless you Ruth for all the hours you spend helping others here.
cate426...Welcome and have fun learning with the rest of us newbies...

Wildwoman...It is you I meant to thank for the rain...smile
Old 01-03-2007, 01:17 PM   #8  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

Be sure you check out the PI recipes for ideas for foods on the go. There are some really really good recipes in there. Personally, I really enjoy the quiche and the breakfast cheesecake. Both can be portible.

Oh by the way
Old 01-03-2007, 02:20 PM   #9  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

to Cate, WildWoman, and Lubajo!

Yes, please look at the emergency list for Phase 1...lots of GREAT information there. Also please make sure you READ THE BOOK! It's big, but at least half of it is recipes/meal plans. This plan is very flexible, allowing you to tailor it to what works for your body, but you can only do that if you read the information and are knowledgeable about what works and what doesn't. You can always borrow it from the library or purchase a cheap, used copy from sites like www.half.com or www.alibris.com

Oatmeal is GREAT in P2! You can add nuts for protein and all sorts of spices and splenda for flavor. I love a little bit of cinnamon and some nutmeg on mine and walnuts...for protein and Omega 3 oils. Yumm!

Personally, I think bars just make me more hungry...but you can find some that are okay in P2. Just watch your body and see how you react, okay?

Try to stay as far as possible from processed foods, okay? That's one of the many benefits of SBD...you eat so much healthier! Shop around the perimeter of the grocery store with quick darts into the middle aisles for natural PB, spices, and healthy cereals (Uncle Sam, Fiber One, Steel Cut Oats). You'll be amazed at how GOOD you feel!

Exercise is so important, Cate, so I'm glad you asked! In P1, if you haven't been exercising, you may want to wait until you feel better to start, or start more gradually. Make sure you're eating good carbs, as Barb and Ruth mentioned. Those include beans, legumes, bell peppers, tomatoes, yogurt, and milk. They help reduce cravings, make P1 easier, and help you have more energy for your workouts. As for what kind of exercise, make sure it's something you'll enjoy, switch it up regularly so you don't get bored, and make sure you have a combination of strength training (weight lifting), cardio (aerobic exercise like treadmill, step classes, elliptical, running, etc.), and stretching (yoga, pilates, etc.). You can find out a ton from the super-smart chickies in the Exercise forum.

Last edited by beachgal; 01-03-2007 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:36 AM   #10  

well hello everyone! I'm not exactly new, but I havent been on the board much for about a year now. I did fairly well on South Beach when I first started. I managed to lose around 30lbs or so. I've unfortunately put on a few lbs and need to shake off some of the weight. I'm 6 days into phase 1.. almost half way there woo hoo. I'm finding water to be easier than it was the first go round. The weird thing I have going on right now is my stomach will start growling about an hour after I eat a big meal. I know there is no way i'm actually hungry, but I cant figure out why my stomach is growling.. weird, but true (its not like a settling rumble, it's like an active i'm starving growl) Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Kim..mom of 4 daughters, married for 15 years, I work as a 3rd party retailer so I"m in and out of stores all week long. Other than that there isnt much to tell about me.
Closed Thread