Old 12-29-2006, 08:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 154/150/125

Height: 5"2

Default Slimming Singles

Hi, I'm wondering if singletons/people who live alone want to join in on a thread? Our lifestyle and eating patterns are different than people who live with partners, children or roommates. Any thoughts?
applecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 12:46 AM   #2  
Nicole

S/C/G: 261/226/140

Sounds like a great plan, applecake.

Count me in!

nicole
nicolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 07:47 PM   #3  

Great! So now what do we do?

I have a bad habit of eating in front of the tv when I'm alone, that's one of my pudgy single person issues.

Carla
Old 12-30-2006, 08:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

Sounds like a cute group. I agree that things are probably different when you live on your own. I've been at my parents' house since a couple days before Christmas, and I've definitely eaten differently, though I've been able to manage things through calorie counting to avoid gaining holiday weight.

At home...I personally keep no junk food in my house -- one of those things you can do easily when you live on your own! I also have been cooking dinners only in the quantity that I need for the day -- no leftovers to pick at and overeatsince no one is home to catch me! However, being in a house with leftovers the last 1 1/2 weeks has made me wonder if I might actually be able to handle having leftovers around. On the other hand, I do like my food freshly cooked, too!

I think the best thing about trying to eat healthy while living on your own is that you are in complete control of your environment. The hardest thing might be that there is no one around to catch you overstuffing yourself if you choose to have temptations around! Sometimes other people being around seems to be a deterrent to overeating!
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 08:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 182

I'd like to join in. I have a teenage son, but he's hardly ever around and I am trying to get over the whole feed-my-baby scene -- he's over it, that's for sure! I need to concentrate on the evenings when I'm here by myself, portion control and mind control.
pudgemustbudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 02:13 PM   #6  

Great! So what do we do now?
Old 01-01-2007, 07:56 PM   #7  
Flowers Only

S/C/G: 236/200/150

I think this sounds like a great group. I would like to join. Being alone has its challenges. Dating and being over weight has its challenges, too. I have been waiting for someone to start a singles group.I think there are lots of things to talk about. What do you all do when you are lonely and food is your only friend at home?
TeresaKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 08:30 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 224/216/110

Height: 5'1"

If you all don't mind, I would like to join in

I'm 22, single (obviously lol), and live alone.

I, as well, can see a difference in my eating habits when I'm at my parents just visiting and being at my place.

I'm one who eats in front of the tv as well as the computer (neither a good idea).

Anyhow, if you all don't mind
spunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:19 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 280/241/150

Height: 5'5"

sounds like my type of group....

I'm 41 and single... I sometimes have a roommate- my mom.... she works out of town a lot- she's been gone since july and will be home in a couple of weeks- no telling how long... I know... 41 and live with mom... but that's what's working for me... I help her by taking care of the house etc when she's gone....

I too tend to want to eat when alone...it's just so easy when no one is around to see what I'm doing....

dating?? what's that? how I would love to have a date...

as you have said... life is so different when single- foodwise and other wise....

Looking forward to see where this group goes!

Reba
RebaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:19 PM   #10  

I've been a lurker for quite some time, and am just now finding the motivation to begin a healthier lifestyle. I'm not usually that good about posting, but realize that I need a place for accountability. I am 35 and single. I am working 2 jobs, and have been struggling to find the time and energy to cook healthy meals (as opposed to fast food and convenience foods!) Count me in for some accountability!
ksk571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:51 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 217/See Ticker/150

I'm liking this group too! I'm 24, single, and obviously living on my own. My problem isn't so much snacking while I'm at home (I do my share of that, trust me) but my biggest problem is fast food. I'm a High School teacher, and by the time I get home from school in the afternoon (and that ranges from 3:00-5:00) I'm too exhausted to want to cook dinner, so I tend to just run out to Burger King or Wendy's and grab something quick. Recently I've realized how much money I've been spending on fast food, so I'm trying to use it as a treat for myself now. I know that is kind of random, but every time I lose 5 lbs, I will treat myself to some type of fast food. We'll see how this goes. Also, I have never been much of a left over fan, but I'm trying to cook enough now so I have leftovers, so those nights shen I'm too tired to cook, I just have to warm something up. Now we just need to set up some type of 'challenege' or something for all of us!

~Aubrey
KCWMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:26 AM   #12  
Nicole

S/C/G: 261/226/140

Aubrey, I can completely sympathise with getting home too exhausted to cook. I'm often exactly the same after a crappy day at work, and it's really easy just to pick somethig up on the way home...

BTW - I'm Nicole and I'm 33. I'm single and have been for about a year now after a long term relationship turned rather nasty.

For me a lot of the battle is that there's now nobody to basically make me get dinner on the table. If it's been a rough day at work then it's really hard to find the motivation to cook since it's just me. I'm trying to combat that by making extras of some meals and throwing them into containers and into the deep freeze when I'm cleaning up after dinner.

The other major thing tha tI struggle with is snacking in the evenings. I'm sure you know how it is - you're home from work, had dinner and cleaned up and can sit down knowing that everything's done for the day. I have got a habit of rewarding myself for getting to the end of the day by treating myself and I'm trying to break that habit. Obviously having good food choices available at that time is one way to go, but I'd like to try and break the habit completely - I've just finished dinner, so I don't need to eat. A friend has suggested finding something to keep my hands busy, so at the weekend I'm going to dig out all my old craft stuff that I haven't looked at for a while and see what's there. It's worth a try, anyway...
nicolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:19 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 264/211/135

Height: 5'4''

Sounds like a great group!

I’m a single 29 year old, living with my spoiled cat.

I’m eager to see what topics we come up with

RebaR: I hear you… what is this Dating you speak of?

TeresaKM: When I’m lonely I think about how much I’ve lost, think about what I’m going to eat the next day, grab a glass of water try desperately to avoid the snacky foods, hug my cat, then surf the 3fatchicks forums.
132hereIcome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 09:38 PM   #14  

You all sound like great women! I'm glad this thread is catching on and that I'm not the only single gal on the planet, which it often seems like. ha ha. I just ate too much popcorn with seasoning and now my mouth is sore from the seasoning. Ouch! So it's herbal tea for the rest of the night for me.

Like Aubrey, I'm so tired by the end of the day, I often grab a falafel on the way home instead of waiting to get home and prepare something lighter. Well maybe falafel isn't a terrible choice worth beating myself up over, but I could do better with a little extra effort.

How can we support each other?
Old 01-07-2007, 09:07 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 254/236.5/179

Height: 5'6

Thanks for starting this thread! I feel out of place (or overpriviledged) sometimes among all the women who identify first as moms. I've been a bachelorette for almost four years now, basically content with it, enjoying the single life and not feeling the need to be with someone. Unless, of course, Prince Charming magically appears on my doorstep...Evening snacking is my biggest challenge, and not using food for comfort when I'm stressed or angry. Also, I travel a lot, and sometimes I abandon my eating and exercise agenda without much of a fight.

One way to support each other is to focus on what we most want to do better or differently this week or this month, and share our wins and challenges with each other. I expect to have an especially stressful week at work, but I will still need to stick with my program, get to bed early and get up to work out, and not double (or triple ) up on after-dinner snacks.

judy
judydc is offline   Reply With Quote