General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 10:21 PM   #1  

Default Grand Canyon

Hey,
We are planning a trip to the Grand Canyon in February. (After we go to the big rock and gem show in Tuscon.) Has anyone been there? Have any recommendations for tours? bus, train, jeep or other wise? Donkeys are out for us. I would love to hear suggestions from those who have been there. We will be on the south rim, that's about as much as I know so far
Old 01-01-2007, 11:08 PM   #2  

A helicopter ride is something that you would never forget in your lifetime...the sight of the gigantic grand canyons below you is an experience worth the price...My friend did it recently and loved it.

We went there last year and absolutely loved it. Wevwere very unfortunate as they had less captains that day...so we did the cesna ride which also was great! We also took a bus ride and that was good too.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:38 PM   #3  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I worked at the south rim of the Canyon for a year in the 80s and that's where I met DH. He had worked there for five years at the time. I would second a helicopter tour. Also a bus tour of the West Rim/Hermit's Rest from the Grand Canyon , although in February it is also open to cars now I believe. The visitors center should be able to refer you to one of the transportation desks, where you can purchase tickets. We took the train once from Williams Arizona to the GC, but I wouldn't really recommend it. It doesn't offer any views of the canyon, and unless you are a big train fan, I wouldn't spend my time doing it. If you exit via the east rim, you will end up on the Navajo reservation. There used to be a great restaurant there in a little wide spot on the road called Cameron, at the intersection of 64 and 89. It was the Cameron Trading Post and they had wonderful mutton stew or Navajo Tacos. I'm not sure if it's still there or not.

I would recommend catching sunset and sunrise over the Canyon, if possible. Breathtaking. Also, the restaurant at El Tovar Hotel is very nice, although expensive, and offers views of the canyon. We used to enjoy going there for breakfast, since that was more affordable.

If you are driving up from Tuscon to the Grand Canyon, you may be going through Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon. That is one of the most beautiful places on earth to me, and well worth getting off of the interstate to travel through there. We went back for a visit 3 years ago, and Sedona was definitely more "commercial" than when we lived there, but Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon were both still beautiful. You see a lot of jeep tours for this area, but I don't ever remember taking one, so I can't say anything about those good or bad.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:43 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I went to the grand canyon a few years ago and I drove the road that goes along the rim. It was the most amazing thing ever. I'm not too fond of helicopters plus it was more of an unplanned sidetrip so it wasn't even really a consideration. I do plan to go back in a few years because DH has never been there.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:03 PM   #5  

If you are an adventourous type: river rafting is something you should not miss after the helicopter ride. The helicopter ride is not scary...its just takes a minute or two to calm your racing heart but then it gives you THE BEST sights of the canyon, the hoover dam and the colorado river! carry your own binoculars if you have a pair coz they will come in handy if you are at the south rim from where you can see some lakes and stuff.

Lake havasu is a oasis beautiful spot, not far from there...Its a secret celebrity hideout!

The hiking trails are very very intensive and do carry enough food and water if you do go there...

I could not find any good eating places becoz I am a vegetarian! I did not stay there overnight but I think the hotels there are few and get filled fast so make reservations way in advance.

I think the only reason I will even visit Vegas again is if I am going to the grand canyons from there...Grand canyon totally made up the horrible experience I had in Las Vegas!
Old 01-02-2007, 10:04 PM   #6  

thanks everyone! We are looking at the helicopters..they are just kind of pricey for how long you get fly. We have to figure out where we want to put our money. We are going to be staying in Williams, so we are open to doing other things besides seeing the Grand Canyon too. We have about 3 days. Definitely one for the Canyon, and we are looking around to see if there is something else we want to do. I told DH about the El Tovar and other suggestions. Please keep the ideas coming!
Closed Thread