Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-29-2006, 07:04 PM   #1  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Default Need to reduce tops of my arms...IDEAS?

Hi All!

My upper arms are flabby and just plain UGLY! I've lost 65 lbs. so far and reduced them some, but I really want to get moving on them! I use weights regularly and do cardio (step aerobics and Turbo Jam.) I also do yoga to help my flexibility. I've heard that a person can't spot reduce body parts, BUT there may be something that I am missing from my overall plan. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 10:55 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Firstly, congrats on your weight loss of 65 lbs, that's awesome ...
If you are exercising, doing intense cardio and weight training plus eating clean, you just have to be patient, the closer you get to goal the more your muscles will show through after the fat is gone... Unfortunately sometimes loose skin will diminish only little or not at all with time, it depends on many factors... Visit Weight Loss And Skin FAQs it has some great information...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 10:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

As you lose more weight, you probably will lose more in your arms. Unfortunately, genetics can play a role--some people carry more weight in particular places. To bring out the muscle, however, be sure you're doing some good arm lifting. What exercises are you currently doing for your arms? I like doing a lot of tricep work like tricep extensions (two-arm and one-arm), skullcrushers, tricep dip, bench press (with close grip), rope and V-bar pushdowns, and a couple that I don't know the name of.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:44 AM   #4  
On my way to 160!

Hi Ilene and Sheila!

Thanks for the replies!

I'm doing pushups on my knees, crosses,uppercuts and hooks with my Turbo Jam. I do bicepts curls, triceps stretches behind my head, lateral raises and flys on my back. I am using 5 and 8 pound dumbbells. Oh, I also do triceps extensions (tough!)

I recently bought Gilad's Step and Tone workout that merges his step routines and toning routines. He suggested one-pound weights to start, but I had 3 pound weights as my smallest. Halfway through the workout I had to stop! I SEE why he suggested one-pound weights to start!!! I like the DVD a lot and can see that I will get a good workout with it.

Yes, my mom and grandma and great-grandma all had heavy arms. It's encouraging to hear that as I continue to lose my weight I will lose more on my arms. My tree trunk legs are shaping up due to all the stepping and Turbo Jam. I will just have to be patient!

Thanks for all the encouragement!

Cheryl
Old 12-31-2006, 03:11 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

Height: 5'6"

Keep chiseling away at the fat and work the deltoids.
AnAbsoluteDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 01:08 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Pick up some 10 lb dumbbells. I bet you're ready to increase definitely your bicep curls, and you could probably use one of the 10 lb'ers to do the tricep overhead lift. I do the tri extensions too, and yes they are hard, and yes I do much lower weight with them. But one thing I've learned here is that you can never get comfortable. As soon as you can do your reps comfortably without exhausting yourself, it's time to move up on the weight.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 01:09 AM   #7  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

One exercise that can help with the arms is a tricep curl: lie down (/w knees bent), hold arms straight up with weights, then bend backwards till a 90-degree angle, then lift back up straight. I personally love this exercise for tricep toning!

With bicep curls, try alternating it a little to work some different muscle groups - try curling it on the outside or a "hammer curl" (a 90 turn, and the dumbbell looks like a hammer going up and down).

And while it's true you can't spot reduce your fat, by building muscles in those areas you can make your muscles more visible (and consequently, the appearance of less fat.)

And yes, pick up some heavier dumbbells, use whatever's comfortable while still giving you a workout -- I have an 8 pound and 12 pound set... for bicep curls & overhead raises I use the 12-, whereas for triceps & lat raises I go with the 8-

Hope that helps...
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:50 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 307/179/140

Height: 5'5"

How about some bench dips - with or without weights. Those are great for the triceps - just be sure to use proper form. I love extensions too..anyway you can do them. Triceps and biceps are my favourite muscles! I also have excess skin under my arms and work at them frequently. They have slimmed down nicely since I started my journey but I still see the 'hello betties' (sorry that's what I call the excess skin under my arms) when I put my arms over my head. I will prevail though..one way or the other its going. I've heard Pilate rings help. Also doing cirlces without the rings is a workout...just stand with your arms outstretched ...like you are going to play airplane and keeping your arms straight do small circles forward until fatigue then try the backwards motion..all while your arms remain in the 'flying' position. Try it out and let me know what you think? Yep, you'll feel silly doing it..so try it alone..but I bet you'll find it works your arms. Try varying your types of arm workouts..change it up a bit..there are so many different exercises out there. And as previously suggested in this post, up your weights..challenge yourself more.

Michelle

Last edited by Paborsky; 01-02-2007 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Spelling
Paborsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:42 AM   #9  
On my way to 160!

Thanks SOOOO much Diva, Fran, Aqua, and Michelle! You've given me plenty of new things to try! I completely forgot about those "airplane circles!" I DO have ten pound weights so can use them for some of my exercises. Thanks for taking the time to help me out on this! I'm off to work out right now!

Cheryl