Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 10:55 AM   #1  

Default New Year

I am sure many of you are like me right now...eagerly anticipating the new year, ready to start your resolutions...are they the same as last year? Mine is. It's like a ritual, get ready to burst into the New Year as a New Me and lose this weight, only to roll around to Christmas still over weight and looking forward to that fresh start. It's getting old. Every week, every holiday, every birthday every new year it's the same schpeal always starting over and never really starting in the first place.

I want to believe this year will be different. I have every intention of getting on track and getting down to bussiness on the first. And I am excited and I feel pumped up, but then I have that little voice saying "It's teh sam ething every year, it's just another gimmick, yet another big plan that you will fail at."

Dh told me I could take some art classes at a creative arts center that opened up about 20 minutes away, I am working now and loving my job, the lady I babysit for is moving and I'll be done with that by the end of the month probably sooner, my kids are less baby and toddler and more kids and can entertain themselves longer, it seems like things are shifting in my life. It seems like now is a good time to focus on myself. I turn 30 this year and totally blew my efforts to reach my goal by my birthday, but I can still reach my goal in my 30th year. It's not the first time that life has presented me with a golden opportunity, but maybe this time I won't blow it.

I would be really interested in doing a challenge, but again that voice reminds me that I have failed EVERY challenge I have ever done on here or on my own. So I don't know. Is anbody else up for a challenge. Maybe a month by month thing?

I'm thinking JUMP INTO JANUARY. We each set maybe 5 weekly or maybe daily goals and at least once a week check in and tell how we did. We get one point for each goal met or something. Then the next month we try to beat our previous score. Sounds a bit complicated, but kind of fun. Any ideas? Anyone wnat to try it?

It's been super quiet around here so I hope you guys join me after the Holiday crazies.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:45 PM   #2  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Hey there. Well I feel about the same way, knowing that I started the year with good intentions and here I am heavier than I was a year ago and nothing has changed. Actually this year something did change, if anyone has read my other post about my liver enzymes coming back showing that I probably have a condition called fatty liver. I knew it was just a matter of time that some medical condition related to my weight popped up but honestly I don't think I was expecting it this soon. It is very much going to be a motivator to lose weight as I don't want to have liver damage! These past few days have been my last hurrah, heaven only knows what my weight will be tomorrow. I am not waiting until the 1st, I am starting tomorrow because I have a week off from work and I am intending on making it the start of turning my health around. Anyway I've been eating all the treats, chocolate etc that I want. Today I had my favourite breakfast, 4 slices of toast with peanut butter and a big glass of milk and went to McD's for lunch for a Big Mac and fries and a coke. These things will not be part of the new way of living. Maybe when I have dropped 50 lbs I will give myself a treat of a Big Mac but I'm not thinking that far ahead. Today was my last Big Mac and that is that. My husband thinks I'm being a bit extreme and maybe I am but I think I need to be if I am going to change anything. It is kind of a fine line, going cold turkey seems to work for me for a couple of weeks then I revert back to my old behaviours but this time I can't afford to. Knowing that my health is starting to decline will help keep me focused once I get going.

Yep Misty, I'm up for any challenge you'd like to start. It does help to write out goals and post daily, I know when I start out first thing in the morning logging on even before breakfast that it helps me to stay motivated.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:54 PM   #3  
Zandria

S/C/G: 203/203/130

Height: 5'4

Talking

Misty,
I would have to say that most people fail with their "New Years Resolution" but its only because of their frame of mind. If one is trying to change something about themselves just because of the start of a new year, that is not much of a motivation. When you start you "resolution" tell yourself that you are doing it to be a healthy more for your kids, so that you can have more energy to do day to day tasks, not just because a new year is starting. Maybe this could be your year!
Old 12-28-2006, 03:35 PM   #4  

Zandria, you are so right. Resolving to lose weight just b/c it is the first of the year is little motivation and won't last long.

But this year things feel different. My husband is encouraning me to learn and grow and take time for myself through art classes. That is a big change! Perhaps I can pour emotions there instead of food. I'm not an artist but I love to be crafty and that part of me has been pushed down and out of my life since getting married and espcially after having kids. I have felt angry and resentful for aquite some time that he is free to pursue his passions while I watch children and ignore my own.

I am working so I am not stuck at home all day every day, but I will have two days a week with just my kids to do what I need to do at home. Also, I really love my job! I want to be active enough to enjoy it! Teaching preschool seems to be my niche.

My sister having WLS has been strange for me. For now she is still heavier than me, but b/c she is taller she wears the same size or smaller and recently returned the clotehs I gave her when I went down sizes last year. I've gained all that back and now have no clothes! So she borught them back! Now that is a motivator.

Turning 30 is a big motivator. 30 means being an adult, you know. I feel like I should come into my own by the time I reach 30. And like Jen knows all to well weight effects our health, and I don't want to die for a cookie!!

I think breaking it down monthly will keep me motivated and my goals small. It will keep me from getting ahead of myself.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:55 PM   #5  
Zandria

S/C/G: 203/203/130

Height: 5'4

Cool

I don't personally know how it feels, but I can understand that it must be stressful at times when it seems like your husband is free to do more things than you are..but that's a whole nother story. I am glad that your husband has realized that you need some more me time for yourself..that is great!

I know what you mean about the clothes thing. I can fit in all the clothes that I have in my drawers, but a lot of them I haven't worn lately because they don't seem to look as good on me as they did last year. It is soo hard to change my habits though after I have let myself get away with it for three years. Once I can get myself to stop wanting junk food ..life will be awesome. Up till three years ago, I stopped eating junk and I got used to not eating it, and I never desired it. I am honestly tired of this topic. I am tired of worrying about my weight. I am tired of trying to motivate myself to work out and then feeling guilty if I don't. I just want it to fall into place, something that I don't have to think about, like breathing. I don't want to have to worry about my weight, my calorie intake, and my bmi the rest of my life...now..just getting to that point..
Old 12-29-2006, 08:56 AM   #6  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Morning all. Misty I can relate about feeling angry about the husband doing his thing and being relegated to looking after the kids. My husband got us into tons of debt and until that is all paid off (3 years from now!) I don't feel free to do anything that is going to cost any money. I scrapbook, that is about my only creative outlet, but I don't spend a lot of money on it. Well for crying out loud, I work full-time, I make more money than my husband, I deserve to spend a little money on stuff I want!

Zandria - I can also relate to what you are saying about wishing everything would just fall into place. Why does it have to be so hard? It isn't rocket science!

Well I weighed in this morning and actually was sort of surprised. I thought I would be a few pounds heavier than what I am. I've been eating a lot of junk the past few days so I thought it would catch up with me. Anyway today I am starting fresh and eating healthier and exercising and drinking lots of water. I've got my journal set up to go and it is going to sit right beside me at the dining table so that I am writing stuff down and not burying under a mountain of other papers so that I 'forget' to journal.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:10 PM   #7  

Great Job Jen!

What gets me is the COST of his hobbies...First we have two horses that he bought me for our anniversary, yeah right they were for me! They eat two bales a day, cost us I don't know how much in feed, shots ect ann aren't even broke! Then he started flying we've spent at least 5 grand on that! And now he is at the point where he has to crack opena book and study and he stopped. He has like 3 hours of flight time and two tests and he has his lincense. Then he started making bio-diesal fuel. He spent close to $600 on that, and sure his dad gets free fuel all summer for the farm, but it's not 100% free to produce and we're sucking up that cost. We're not in debt b/c of these things and I can imagine teh burden that would place on a family and I have spent money on my perpetual persuit of weightloss. But I think I deserve 2 hours a week to do something I like.

FIL just walked in got to run...I'll finish my rant later LOL
Old 12-29-2006, 10:53 PM   #8  

Hi all!

Well, my art classes may have to wait....we went shopping today for a new mattress and ended up buying an entire bedroom suite! It was on clearence and we got a great deal, but it was WAY more than we planned on spending and DIDN'T include the mattress! Plus we spenta bunch at kmart, walmart and Home depot.

So anyway, I'll start an offcial thread with the challenge info either by Monday. We have one more Christmas to go to tomarrow and possible one on Sunday. I am making stromboli on Sunday for my in laws as that has become our tradition.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:51 PM   #9  

Well, I am back, heavier, and more frustrated than ever. DH had some heart problems, and I stress ate over that, he had reactions to his heart medicine, and wasn't getting oxygen to his feet and hands, I stress ate, the holidays arrived, i stress ate. So, here I am fatter than ever and feeling really bad about myself.
On the plus side, i got a new job babysitting, which is the first job I have had in over a year. I am excited because it gives me my own money for WW, I mean, my DH always paid before, no problem, but I hated to ask because I felt he shouldn't have to pay because I was fat. Now I can pay myself.
I think my goal will be to check in at least 3 times a week for support.
Hope ya'll don't mind I came back.
Hugs,
Donna
Old 12-30-2006, 11:05 AM   #10  

Donna!!!!!!!!!!! I am GLAD you are back!!!! I am sorry to hear about DH's heart problems, I hope things are getting better! I know what you mean bout having your own money, I hate feeling like a kid asking for allowence...not that DH says anything to that effect, but I have worked since I was 13 and have always had my own money until I stayed home with the kids. SO I can totally relate.

I hope you enjoy your babysitting job. I have done that the last two years, it had some pros and some cons. The last family I had was very nice, but I thought it was supposed to be a few months and it ended up closer to a year. They are dear friends and that changed our relationship alot. They are moving now and I am sad to see them leave, but I'll be glad to have just my own two kiddos! Plus I teach preschool now so I don't nee dthe babysitting money. But I hope it works out well for you, it can be tons of fun. If you ever need websites for fun ideas and curriculum let me know! I did school with the kids three days a week, but they were preschool age.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:11 PM   #11  

Thanks for the warm welcome back Misty. I used to babysit for about 5 years before this, but nothing for the last year. The kids I used to watch all grew up and went to school. I won't be going to my first WW and weigh in until January 8th. I will change my ticker then. Hope everyone has a Happy New Year.

Hugs,
Donna
Old 12-31-2006, 08:20 PM   #12  

That's great that you are getting back into things then Donna! I should have remembered that you babysat before...duh! Well off to the big New Year's eve party across the street at my in laws Yee Haw!! Man I need a life!!!!
Closed Thread