Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-27-2006, 03:33 PM   #1  
Heather

Angry Help!

Goodness gracious! I was doing SO well this summer, running 1hour 5 days a week before work. Then the winter came, and I bought a treadmill. I cant get myself on the dang thing but maybe 3 times a week and only for 1/2 hour at a time. What is wrong with me? Does someone have any ideas on how I can get my butt running on the treadmill? I watch Tv, that doesnt work, I listen to my Mp3 player, again nothing. I think it is becuase I can just get off of it. When I am outside running, I have to keep going to get back home. I am ashamed of myself. I have gained 10 lbs.
What can I do? Thank you for all your suggestions! Anyone want to come over with a whip to make me run for an hour every day!??
echocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:44 PM   #2  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

running on the tread mill is hard. I run outside whenever possible (now I see your location and gotta say...there is rarely weather bad enough in oregon to use winter as an excuse - although you do get more snow in central than I do in western)

When on the treadmill, play games with the buttons. Intervals, progressions, inclines, pyramids - anything but run at steadystate. If I do succumb to the dreadmill I decide how long my workout will be (rarely more than 45 min) and then do warmup, and then start about 0.5 mph below my steady state pace and every 3 minutes bump it up by 0.1 until I am finishing my workout at 0.5 ABOVE my ss pace. Or I alternate flat and fast with slow and hill. Just keep pushing buttons!

And get some warm clothes and go outside!!!
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 216/186/130

Height: 5'4 1/2"

If you really hate the treadmill, buy some warm clothes and run outside. I haven't personally done this, but they say that once you start running you don't even feel the cold. www.coolrunning.com has a message board with several posts recommending the right kind of clothing to wear in the cold, rain, snow, etc.
thintowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 04:27 PM   #4  
Heather

Yeah, I ran outside last year- in the snow... I need to just kick my own butt and do it no matter what. Thank you for the suggestions!!!!!
echocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 06:28 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

I love and much prefer to run in the cold... Dress warmly with good dryweave clothes with a windbreaker and git out in the fresh cold air and run ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 08:32 PM   #6  

I just got some 'outdoor, cold weather clothing' from REI. It was paper thin, so I wondered how ON EARTH it would keep me warm. It not only keeps me warm, I'm down right HOT in it. I don't even wear the jacket. I just wear the 'special' shirt, the 'special' hat, and some paper thin 'special' gloves, and I'm perfectly comfortable. I new to doing ANYTHING outdoors, so I'm surprised I like it so much.

When I have to run on the treadmill at the gym, I choose one in front of a mirror and stare at my own eyes or at my necklace. For some reason, getting a solid 'focal' point makes it more tolerable. (I'm not one who likes to look in the mirror a lot, but it works for the treadmill...)
Mini-Me is offline   Reply With Quote