Old 12-19-2006, 11:47 AM   #1  

Default The 5% Club - How is everyone doing?

x

Last edited by FitandFine; 07-15-2011 at 02:36 AM.
FitandFine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 05:27 PM   #2  

Hi Juno ( & Shorty) and any other members from the past!

Glad to hear that your life sounds happy Juno A lot has gone on in mine the past year which have changed things up a bit and we are all getting into a new routine. My daughter is 19 and at college (but will be home Thurs) and then my boys will be 11 & 9. Busy and active would be our lifestyle. Both boys play travelling hockey, I'm active in their sport as a manager for both teams (considering running for the board) but am also in charge of the PTA at their school, and after 10 years - closed my daycare business and went back into the corporate world. So a lot of change for everyone just learning to juggle the schedule, keep things done, etc. I only work 5 minutes from home so that has been a salvation.

Bad news is - I sit a whole lot more than I ever did at daycare!!!! There is food everywhere here!!! I went out to lunch more in the past 6 months than in 10 years. So it was fine at first but now adding up and I can see my shape shifting just from that. I walk with my girlfriend and our new dog every morning from 5:40 a.m. (yes in the cold dark MN mornings) but it isn't enough and I have to get tough on sneaking the "real" exercise back in. I did it for a while but haven't gotten a schedule yet. I am thinking it will come together and one of my goals tonight is exercise first before dinner. The good thing is this company does promote fitness - they are starting a TaeBo class two days a week for 8 weeks after the New Year, we get incentives to log our exercise, they buy fruit as an alternative when they buy sweets, it is just following through on being good to yourself. I know over the next two weeks I can't do much in the way of change but just try to behave and maintain. We all have a WW coming in to work also as of the New Year and I think that will be good for keeping me on track. I need to lose some and do not do well if I have to be by others and not be successful

So my goal for two weeks is to try and get some small workout sessions in and make better choices even if it is just one meal. Today I had oatmeal and unsweetened applesauce. Lunch was catered but not fattening until the stupid strawberry cake thingie showed up.........

Hope everyone is doing well and that you find time to post!
SAB 5% is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:44 AM   #3  

Smile

x

Last edited by FitandFine; 07-15-2011 at 02:37 AM.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:58 PM   #4  

Hello everyone... I have been good great and then not so great since we last were in contact. My dad was killed three weeks ago and I have been kind of existing... trying to make it through the holidays. I know it will get easier and day by day it has, but I still have a ways to go...

Before this tragedy I was kind of in a rutt - or - taking a break from serious training depending on the day... This year I ran/walked/finished the Boston Marathon with Team in Training. IT WAS AWESOME - one of the most emotional days of my life! I also ran a half marathon and did the Danskin triathlon for the 4th time. Exercise-wise I have done great, though right now I am making it to the gym only once or 2x a week...

Diet has been horrible. I am still exactly where I was the last time we shared news. 185-190 depending on the day and 40lbs to lose. For the record, marathon training is the worst thing for a diet. Like most people I actually gained weight when all was said and done. SO Ive been going to WW with the goal of reaching a healthy weight before I attempt my next athletic endeavour - a duathlon on my birthday in April. I will definately need the support and am glad to have this venue up and running!! Thanks Juno!!

If I don't get on again before the weekend --- Merry Christmas!! to those who celebrate!!
Absmom
absmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:03 PM   #5  

x

Old 12-23-2006, 10:26 AM   #6  

Thanks again Juno! Ugh.....

My tip for this weekend is that whereever you go - or if you stay home - make something/bring something you can eat... I am off to my sisters Christmas and I am bringing smoked salmon, capers, sliced cucumbers, red peppers, a low fat dill dip/spread, and shrimp cocktail. I can eat these things without guilt and will avoid at all costs the cheese platter which is usually my downfall. It doesn't take much to calorically kill your day with cheese!
Old 12-23-2006, 02:04 PM   #7  

x

Old 12-23-2006, 06:04 PM   #8  

Dear Absmom - my heart goes out to you and you will be in our thoughts over the next few weeks as I am sure it is horrible enough to go through without the added pressure of the holidays.

Juno - Hope the storm passes you but it does sound nice to be stuck in and all snuggled for the holiday!

Cassie flew in Thursday so our family is all together - just everyone else is out of state. We have had a lot of hockey but now at 3 today we were done. We went to the grocery store and picked up our appetizer Christmas stuff (which yes has way too much cheese!) and also did the veggies and fruit. I think this year I will be better at eating so I am not stuffed but try for a smaller meal. Plus we have a one year old dog who wants to be walked every day so no excuses there.

My goal is to start with a healthy breakfast every day (which I was tending to just grab & go). Oatmeal w/ fruit - toast with HB egg & fruit.

Okay dinner is ready here and thus the start of sitting around on our butts, watching movies, playing games & eating. I look forward to the normalcy of Tuesday!

Steph
Old 12-29-2006, 08:24 AM   #9  

I went to WW yesterday to FACE THE MUSIC. Let's face it - I had a lovely Christmas dinner, ate healthy, walked and then proceded to eat a can (yes can) of mixed nuts and a platter of italian Christmas cookies my neighbor brought over "for the kids". Well, maybe not the whole platter - but definately more than my share. I was expecting at least a 2 lbs gain.... and I stayed exactly the same. I AM 190.6 ....

I feel like I've been given a gift by maintaining and i need to make good on some promises I made to myself over the last couple of weeks. I committed to HEALTHY EATING, I committed to THOUGHTFUL EXERCISE and PLANNING. I need some follow through... I need a goal.

I am going to the gym this morning. I had big plans of getting up and putting together a weight routine, but then my little one was up with an ear ache ALL night so just getting to the gym will be my success for the day. Unlike you Juno, I can not function without my sleep... at LEAST 6, but preferably 8 hours. COFFEE is my solace.

STEPH - You are a dog person and last year we got a dog too! She'll be 2 in January so lots of energy; and since I am the one who wanted her, I do nearly all of the walking... every morning without fail. She's half Golden/half Standard Poodle and we rescued her from a family that didn't realize how much work a dog was.... she was a CHRISTMAS PRESENT for the kids... Can I tell you how much I hate the whole "PUPPY FOR XMAS"!!! Anyway, she's sweet and fun, and she's been a lifesaver this month with my dad's death. DOG RANT OVER.

SO - I have my weekly ww food tracker and i will write down what I eat. I have a date at the gym and knowing my motivation level I may squeeze out 45 min on the Elliptical. This afternoon I will consider the PLAN for weights/core and a training schedule for triathlon this coming year. My sisters and I want to do 3 events (including our annual date with Danskin). NOW all I need is some motivation and GIANT kick in the butt! I also need for school vacation to be over, my kids to stop fighting and my husband to go back to work... My house is a DISASTER. I am a little FRIED. HAPPY NEW YEAR.....
Old 01-02-2007, 04:19 PM   #10  

Talking

Happy New Year! I was pretty darn lazy the last day of 2006 but felt much more motivated yesterday. Got the house a bit more organized and then got up early today to get things done before I went walking with the dog and friend in the early a.m. My dog was so excited (we hadn't walked all Christmas break!) that I swear she was howling in the laundry room...I did not realize she really missed the a.m. walk!

Our WW starts here next week but I did get on the scale last week and almost fainted as I weigh the most I have in a few years. Too much snacking here and the fact that I was always on my feet for 10 years and now hang out by the computer and do a lot of paperwork - not enough calorie burning during the day. So I am trying to be good and not e-mail office people to get up off my butt. We were walking at lunch until the weather got cold but too much of a pain when you are dressed nice and it is freezing out.

I brought a lot of snack sized portions to work and good healthy choices so that when I want to go raid the kitchen - just have to choose from my shelf. Only two items per day. Wish me luck because I am going to need it.

Absmom - The dog is the family dog and needs my hubby to spoil her and love her every second, the boys adore her and I am the one who feeds & exercises her She was super skinny and a rescued German Shep who was fully trained but I can see her energy was really hyper and sometimes she scares me when running around the yard (pretty sure she would take me down if she didn't like me!!) I told a friend that I would run a 5K with her this year and was hoping she would forget but she just sent me an e-mail reminding me that I would be doing one or two with her. Better get my butt in gear!!

Juno - Hope you had a great holiday! I look forward to getting advice from you as I remember when we first started posting that you were turning 40 during that time and wanted to be ahead of the game in health. Well that is where I am at this year and realize it is now or never. I've been fine the past few years but would like to bump it up a notch (and take off the pounds that I gained here at the new job!)

New year brings about great renewal!!

Steph
Old 01-03-2007, 01:30 AM   #11  

x

Last edited by FitandFine; 07-15-2011 at 02:43 AM.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:41 AM   #12  

Hello, women!

(it feels good to say that again!)

This is the second time I've composed a post today. The first I had to abandon because it is impossible to type on a laptop when you're crunched into the front seat of a Subaru Impreza. You see, we were on our way home from a trip to the doctor for the baby, then a trip to the bank, and it was pouring rain and my A/C is out so my car was fogging up and then both kids fell asleep. I was annoyed, stressed, had only eaten a latte and a bagel w/ cream cheese all day and I was starved. I pulled into a drive-through coffee people because I could get another latte (this one was 1%) and a muffin and I knew they had wi-fi and I could do some work in the car, in the parking lot, while the kids slept and I had some meager nourishment.

See why I wanted Juno to help me get this group started again?

When I joined this group in 1998 or '99 I was 25, energetic, strong, childless and selfish with my time. With the help of this group I started running 5+ days a week, ate normal portions of good food and lost about 15 lbs.

Since I left the job I had at that time it's all been downhill from there. There was a point when dd1 started solid foods that all of a sudden a bunch of weight melted off and I was skinny and had big nursing boobs. Dd2 just started solids this last week, but even if a bunch of weight came off I feel tired, weak, my ab muscles are stretched out (and likely torn, I may need surgery). When I do any kind of power walking my hip muscles get really sore and I limp for days.

Women, I feel OLD.

Today happened to be a bad day for food. I usually eat much better. It was just a harried day with the first day back to work (I work at home, or at cafes, depending on my childcare situation that day), and appointments. I made up for it tonight with a lovely dinner: a soup of pured potato, carrot, squash and curry with a spinich salad and sausage meatballs (I had no more than a palm's sized serving of the meat). I've been working on buying local foodstuffs (my effort to reduce the use of fossile fuels) and, except for the spices, this was a totally local meal.

Anyway, there is no way I can do what I did when I was 25. Then, I was obsessed with my body and had the time and lack of committments that allows you to carry on such an obsession. Now, I have to break down everything into mini-goals and be really easy on myself because that's all that's possible.

It's all very frustating. But somone told me a long time ago, before I had kids, that this time is just a season in your life, and then it passes, and you just may miss it. (I know I will always miss my little babies once they're gone. I've been through this already with dd1.) Since you all have been where I am, I'm really going to depend on you to remind me of this!

What's my downfall? Lack of planning. I don't plan meals and then we get take-out. Or I don't plan any exercise time and work or errands eats it all up. I've at least got myself off to a good start this week by having a fridge and pantry full of good foods.

Baby's up to nurse. More later!
Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:16 PM   #13  

Happy New Year to all!!!

I enjoyed my new year - perhaps a little too much. I am on medication that is supposed to enhance the effects of alcohol and I found that it definately does. I am not a big drinker... 3 glasses of Pinot did me in... I think I am done with drinking anything for a while.

I got sick New Years Day, and now I am nursing what I hope is the end of this cold/throat thing. As you all know, MOMS are NOT allowed to get sick - EVER. I did, however, make it to the gym for the first time this year. 2.5 miles of walking/running at 2.5% grade. I signed up for spin tomorrow. Friday's dream of pilates at 10 was smashed by a school play for dd1...

WW tomorrow will be a complete surprise. I ate horribly Saturday and Sunday. Had to eat an egg mcmuffin to quell my a.m. hangover (a salt thing) and then I picked at holiday leftovers - chocolate cake, banana bread pudding, quiche. I through it all in the trash once I realized that I was the only one interested in eating any of these goodies my sister sent home. Tuesday morning I woke up and realized that I had screw up my plan for a weight loss the first week of the year, SO I made a yummy - high fiber, fatfree lentil soup and it has been lunch and dinner for the last two days. We'll see what tomorrow brings.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:53 PM   #14  

Thumbs down

Babies, hangovers, no exercise, bad food - all the things to deter fitness Hey at least we've got them all covered!

I have to say that I've been pretty darn good here. Snacks have been in pre-sized baggies so if I am thinking about gulping something down - I only get to do it late afternoon and it is already portioned out. Dinners have been at home too because we've been able to have at least 20 minutes to sit down. I am sure that I eat too much there (dinner always my downfall!) mainly because I eat with 3 males and they just eat and eat. I also have exercised but that is because I am frightened of the TB class next week and am sure that I will fall over dead after 60 minutes of exercise (I do exercise at home but probably not at full strength!)

Absmom - My hangover thing is stupid BK Croisanwiches which I am soooo sad to say that we have all this new stuff going up but our BK closed down this week!!! I guess I won't be able to go out and have too much because I would have to drive too far the next day in search of breakfast. That happens to be the only fast food breakfast I even ever treat myself too! Hope the cold magically goes away - everyone around here has one too.

Shorty - I have to laugh reading your post because when my one girlfriend suggested I have another baby (because she was) and I was thinking I have just moved to such a different place! Loved the kids when they were small but at 9,11 & 19 - I can do things!! Even giving up daycare has now freed up my brain and mind for other ventures. But in each stage it can all be good - I remember doing exercises with one toddler climbing on me and the other wishing he could move over and spit on me

Juno - I am not sure if we are going this year or next but the hubby and I are heading to AL for our anniversary. I just want to go this year because we really haven't celebrated any of them in a big way but 2008 is our 15th. But depends on how much vacation time I have here.... And the kitty comment made me laugh. I had two dogs, cat, two birds, turtle, fish etc.... The kitty is the EASIEST of all and requires the least maintence. Turtle & fish require major cleaning (which we also had the 60 gal. fish tank blow up in our downstairs - SO NOT FUN!!!), birds not so much except a bit of dustbuster... love the dog and she is pretty maintence free except the walks which I need and the kennel clean-up...oh and maybe she is a bit spoiled with attention but that's fine.

Okay end of my day here and off to exercise at home. DH has just announced he can't make dinner because he has tons of work to do and that is probably the only major peeve in our lives - he HATES his job and it just rubs off on all of us.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:52 PM   #15  

Steph - With the dinner thing - choose the smallest plate you have. Don't let yourself (or others) fill it up and don't go for seconds. Trust yourself that it's a serving and be done with dinner. My girlfriend has 4 boys - who all eat like truckdrivers - and she swears this keeps her in check. You lose perspective when you see what teen boys can eat (and burn off). This is when I am glad for girls... My friend's grocery bill is ENORMOUS!!

SO - WW this week was yet another gift. I stayed exactly the same again and I'll take it. Of course next week I have vowed to see a loss no matter what and I am taking steps to make that happen. Like you Steph, I portioned out snacks, planned some meals, and made sure I have some things for emergencies; like SmartOnes. I made it to the gym three times this week and added another 1/2 mile to my dog's morning walk. I am writing down EVERYTHING that goes into my mouth.

Shorty - I was in your shoes when you were living free and easy. My girls are now 7 and 4. The one thing that I would recommend is to schedule an event. I signed up for my first Danskin when my little one was 4 months old. I mapped out a training regime and I also had a standing Saturday morning date with my sisters. My DH knew that he had the kids NO MATTER WHAT. This continues to work for us - even last year while I trained for the Boston Marathon. My DH knows that Sat a.m. is my time - and more importantly I know this is my training time.

Juno - How's the BodyPump going??? I am going to start again next tuesday night. Marathon training got in the way of weights and I am now just realizing how much I have lost in my upper body. I am sure that 8 weeks of BP is just what I need.

Can I tell you how glad I am to be done with the Holidays? Can I tell you how glad I am to be back on a regular schedule?? Can I tell you how psyched I am that we haven't had any measurable snow this winter and its January 5?!! My phlox are BLOOMING!! If you like winter - sorry. Not my favorite season. Spring is - and even if it starts blizzarding tomorrow, I know that it's only 8 weeks away!!!!