Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-23-2006, 12:16 PM   #1  

Default Would You Rather...

I've had a bit of a harsh day. Come back from a place with loads of Christmas (read:junk) food. But, just used my FitDay to add it all up...and to my pleasent suprise, provided I have a sensible dinner, I'm not actually doing badly in terms of calories.

This kind of got me thinking. Obviously, both of these are a really bad idea, but would you rather....

a) Eat junk food but still come safely under your maximum calorie intake for the day

OR

b) Eat healthy food but go grossly over your calorie intake for the day

At the moment, I'm feeling b). The sugar and fat combined is making me feel a little bit sick.
WaterBottleBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 12:19 PM   #2  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I have already told myself I am allowed to go over for the next few days, I am not going to bother with fit day and not going to worry about "I wonder how many calories are in this cookie" I am at the point where I can't eat nearly as much as I used to.

I decided I wanted to enjoy these few days, without the worry - if that means losing an extra 3 pounds come january so be it. But I certainly wouldn't be eating to make myself sick. 10 cookies would make me sick, 1 or 2 wont

You need to do whatever works for you! Good luck!
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 12:34 PM   #3  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

For me, the line between what is healthy and what isn't is not that clear cut. For example, if I'm going over my calorie limit on healthy food, it's probably not because of carrots. It's probably because I ate too much bread... and even if it is 12 grain bread, it's still got a lot of calories. Or it's because of cheese or something like that. I guess that's better than bingeing on chips with lots of trans fat but is it better than eating 1 cookie after a reasonable meal? I don't know.

Anyway, like sotypical I have written off the next few days. I am finding it really stressful to try to eat healthy right now. We just gotta do our best!
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 12:36 PM   #4  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I've been eating a mixture of junk and healthy food and coming under calories... I think that's a healthy balance!

I think I'd rather eat lots of healthy stuff and exercise more
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 12:40 PM   #5  

Yeah, I've actually written the next three days (at least!) off as well. Obviously I won't be gorging myself, but I don't really feel like sitting at the Christmas tea table, adding up how many cocktail sausgaes I've eaten!
WaterBottleBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 12:43 PM   #6  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

B. I feel awful if I dont eat well. And option A usually means being starving. I cant eat poorly without getting on the bloodsugar rollercoaster.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 03:10 PM   #7  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

Quote:
I cant eat poorly without getting on the bloodsugar rollercoaster.
Same here. I'll have something junky and then 45 minutes later, I have headache and have transitioned into the evilest, meanest, nastiest version of myself there is.

I'm going to have a few of my holiday favorites, but nothing like the years before. A little bit of them, not 3 plates worth!
KnitALisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 03:58 PM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I have found, and others have said this too, that not all calories are created equal. If I eat foods that have too much fat and carbs combined, I stall my weight loss even if it's under on the calories. So I guess if I had to make a choice between a. and b., I would choose b.

I want to say that I have been trying to get below 180 since December 16, and today I did it! Yes! And it's even during the holidays!!!

Jay
198/179/155
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 05:45 PM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I'm basically thinking C - none of the above. But of course this time of year that's not necessarily an option. I think from time to time we're going to have both A days and B days, which just need to be kept to a minimum, a bare minimum that is.

If I absolutely had to choose, I'd choose A, I'm a calorie counter at heart and that's where my loyalties have to lay.

Just wishing us all many "C" days.

And a fantastic and Merry Christmas
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 07:31 PM   #10  
nerd on a mission

Height: 5'6

Jay - congrats!! I felt the same way when I hit the 170s. it's like.. I'm no longer almost 200 lbs! I'm closer to 150! and I did a little happy dance.

I am a strict, ridiculous calorie counter, but I also turn into turbowitch when I eat junk and nothing else. I tried to be good at the Olive Garden and succeeded, whereas when I went to Subway with Mom for lunch, I got a tuna sandwich and it had 530 calories. 530!? what the heck? geez.
eightbitgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 08:25 PM   #11  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I do have to say that I think A is not particularly likely for me. I get so freaking hungry if I eat crap that staying under my limit isnt gonna happen.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 11:29 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
I have found, and others have said this too, that not all calories are created equal. If I eat foods that have too much fat and carbs combined, I stall my weight loss even if it's under on the calories. So I guess if I had to make a choice between a. and b., I would choose b.

I want to say that I have been trying to get below 180 since December 16, and today I did it! Yes! And it's even during the holidays!!!

Jay
198/179/155
WOOT!!! WTG!!!
Calejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 12:26 PM   #13  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I'd rather eat too much of my healthy food. If I get a taste of sugar, I go wild and crave more and more.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 02:30 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I'd choose option A. In fact, I do choose option A on a fairly regular basis -- it's the only way I can stick to my plan. I understand the horrible effect junk food can have on your body and how it makes you crave more and more, but I still let myself have it sometimes as long as I'm within my calorie range. If I tell myself it's off limits, then I WILL go insane with it. The only eating plan that has ever worked in any way for me is the one that just treats calories as a budget you can spend however you want. Beyond that, I just try to choose the healthiest options I can but I always know my options are open within that "budget." I don't think I've had a day without sugar -- probably a bad thing, but oh well. I've lost 55 pounds and I can run for half an hour straight, when I could only run for about two minutes straight a few months ago. My body must be healthier. We all have to do what works for us.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote