Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-21-2006, 11:20 PM   #1  
one day at a time

S/C/G: 165/142/123

Height: 5'3"

Default How much does weight fluctuate?

How much does your weight fluctuate from morning to night? What about after a cup of tea?

I usually weigh myself in the morning and at night. For the past 3 months, every morning (w/o clothes) i weigh 150-153. And at night(w/ clothes) i weigh 155-157. I just weighed for my night time weigh: 160!!!
I swore to myself that i would never see the number 6 in the 2nd spot ever again no matter what. I was sooo upset when i saw it on the scale!!!
Ive eaten good today, maybe a little much but still really healthy and good.
So, i was just wondering, for those of you who weigh yourself morning and night, how much does your weight fluctuate? Is this normal or did i really spend all day w/o eating anything bad that i was tempted to eat, and then gain weight anyway.
Anyway, im just really discouraged.
100percentME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Anne posted a wonderful study she did about this
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51927
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:35 PM   #3  

How much water did you drink? It could just be water-weight gain.
Calejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 12:19 AM   #4  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I can fluctuate several lbs day to day, let alone same day with clothes. 8 lbs or so morning to night depending on clothes, food and poop status.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 12:24 AM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I do agree with Anne about learning your patterns and what they mean. Also...you learn a bit about your scale too. Most scales have a bit of error in them.

That is why if I am sticking to program (food and exercise) I only record lows and ignore the rest. If I am maintaining I flag new lows or new highs.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:43 AM   #6  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Sometimes I can go up and down 10 pounds in one day.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:46 AM   #7  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I fluctuate in a 6-8 lb range. Its normal.

The problem with every-day (or twice daily!) weighing is that you have to adjust to sometimes seeing numbers you don't want to see on the scale due to normal fluctuations. They can be upsetting if you don't accept that they are normal fluctuations.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:24 AM   #8  
Working to be an after!

S/C/G: 269/151.6/149

Height: 5'2''

I fluctuate anywhere from 6-10 lbs. throughout the day depending on what I eat and drink. I liked that study that Anne did. Very interesting.
crazynette826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:49 AM   #9  

I love Anne's study-it's so true. And precisely why I only do weekly weigh-ins. My weight flactuates 7lb during the day but only rarely do I feel like acknowledging that on a pair of scales.
WaterBottleBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 06:31 AM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I used to weigh both morning and night and I'd go up, up to 5 lbs in the evenings, and then it would be right back down in the morning. So now I only weigh in the mornings. I weigh every morning but only record it once a week, so I try not to get to panic-y if there's something I don't like. I have plenty of time to get panic-y on my weigh-in day (Monday) . Just kidding.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:14 PM   #11  
one day at a time

S/C/G: 165/142/123

Thanks for the help you guys. I appreciate it!!
100percentME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 03:27 AM   #12  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100percentME View Post
Is this normal or did i really spend all day w/o eating anything bad that i was tempted to eat, and then gain weight anyway.
Even if you did overeat, I can't believe you'd see it on the scale that quickly. It generally takes a day or two before you see the effects of a day of bad eating. On a day where you ate normally, I don't believe for a minute that you ate enough to gain a pound or more by the end of the day. It takes 3500 extra calories to gain a pound, just like it takes a deficit of 3500 calories to lose a pound. So for you to have gained a pound, you had to eat 3500 calories above your maintenance level; even if you did that (and it doesn't sound like you were anywhere near that), I can't believe it would show up on the scale by that evening. Now if you overate two or three days ago, you might be seeing the results of that on the scale.

My weight tends to fluctuate by about 3 pounds from morning to night, but sometimes I see more/less fluctuation. If I don't get enough sleep, I weigh more than normal in the morning. If I get up to pee several times during the night, I weigh less in the morning. If I drink a cup of tea right before bed, I weigh more in the evening (but then I have to pee a lot during the night, so I might weigh less in the morning). If I work out really late in the day, I weigh less in the evening (but probably won't lose as much overnight). When I ran 5 miles a couple of weeks ago, I got a little dehydrated, causing me to retain water and my weight was a little high for a couple of days. Once I gained three pounds from a single bowl of miso soup (all that salt results in a lot of water retention).
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote