Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-19-2006, 07:00 PM   #1  
Can't wait 2 be a goddess

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Default Quit smoking tomarrow cold turkey?

Any suggestions to help me
I really tried today but i caved in and bummed a cigg off a friend
so i WANT / NEED to quit any suggestions to help me make it through
thanks
Michelle
707Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:02 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Michelle, I know how hard it is. It's an addiction, so when you try to quit, you will feel frantic. Some people find those nicotine patches or pills helpful for getting past having to have a smoke. The last time I quit, I used an herbal tea called "Smoker's Tea" that contains lobelia. It took enough of an edge off the craving that I didn't give in to it. But you have to be strong, and never give in. The first day is the worst--after that the first three days, then the first week, but if you keep at it, it WILL get better, every hour you don't give in.

Having said that, I wonder if you're not making it too hard by trying to quit at this stressful time of year... It might be better to wait until after the holidays, when you won't have so much socializing and temptation.

But good luck, either way!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

If my sister and my close friend can quit, I say anyone can. They smoked like chimneys and loved their cigs! Unfortunately my dad went back to cigs after quitting for about 10 years, so you must always be careful around them. He is literally a chain smoker and it is so worrying and an underlying stress for the kids (ok, I'm in my late 30's but still a "kid", to him at least), knowing there is a chance your parent will get sick. Hopefully this is somewhat motivational, but I cant offer any advice except to sympathize that any addiction is hard to kick (of course this is obviously the nature of addiction). My sister quit by cutting back to 1/2 pack then less and less til she only relied on one cig in the morning. Best of luck to you in your efforts.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

My DH did quit cold turkey (so did I, but I was pregnant, so it's a different story). DH read an article many years ago that you need to plan to quit. Pick a date (in the future, but not too far off) and then plan on it. Work up to it. Say to yourself that on XXXX date you will quit and STICK WITH IT. It did work for him.

I do have to say that it's been over 16 years for me and about 15 years for him since we "quit." I put that in quotations because it did not happen overnight. After DD was born, I still had urges--especially when having a cocktail or when going out with friends. Sure, I bummed a smoke from time to time, but I didn't let it make me go out and buy a pack and start up again.

DH and I have been on a couple of cruises where we actually bought a carton to take with us for the 10-14 day cruise (we went on two). We smoked like we didn't care. DH even bought cigars and we smoked them (yes, we). But when we got home, we threw away all the leftovers and went cold turkey again. It's been about 8 years since we've been on our last cruise, and probably about 3 years since I've smoked (DH has probably had a cigar here and there since then). But after all the years we've not smoked REGULARLY, we no longer have the cravings.

Every March we have a HUGE birthday party (there are about 15 of us born in March or April) and we always have it at a bar that allows smoking (outdoors) and this was the 2nd year in a row that I did not feel the urge to smoke. This is a long time coming. You really need to plan for it. You can't expect to say tonight that tomorrow you'll quit. IMO, pick a date in January and work up to it. Cut out a cigarette or two every day until then.

Best of luck to you!!!!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:20 AM   #5  

if you can find a new hobby that will keep you bussy for long periods of time, it will help you forget about the cravings..
fatalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:32 PM   #6  
Can't wait 2 be a goddess

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Thanks ladies and yeah i gave in again this morning i actully had a panic attack and went on the hunt and found a half a smoked cigg probably months old but i smoked it
I figure i better wait till the end of the month im closing escrow on our first home on dec 29th i dont know what i was thinking but i did cut WAYYY back yesterday and still gonna try
i think im gonna choose jan 1 a monday and new year and i will STICK to it i really want to quit it's just so damn hard
thank you
707Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:55 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Good for you!

How about printing this out in color and carrying this around with you? It would work for me.

Healthy lung vs. Smoker's lung (do not click if these images will upset you)

http://www.faqs.org/health/images/uchr_02_img0171.jpg

Smoker's lung

http://www.csmngt.com/smokers%20lung.jpg
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:41 PM   #8  

I smoked a pack a day for 10 years, I quit 7 years ago.

I used the patch, and I haven't even had a puff since. I picked a date about a month off and stuck to it. I worked out like a fiend so I didn't gain weight either.

You can do it, you just need to make smoking not an option.....much harder than it sounds...good luck.
redsoxgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:59 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 207/207/160

Height: 5'3"

Nicorette gum worked wonders for me. I quit a year ago, November 19. I used the gum for a year, even though your only suppose to use it for 12 weeks. Good luck to you. Remember, quitting smoking never killed anyone but smoking has and no matter what that little voice in your head tells you, YOU are stonger than your addiction.
MissieA is offline   Reply With Quote