Old 12-19-2006, 11:16 AM   #1  
Pending Email Confirmation

Default nightmares

Hi gals. Thought I'd get some opinions...

I have been plagued with strange vivid dreams and nightmares since I was about 16 or 17 years old. I have always jokingly attributed it to the drugs I was taking during high school (both urm... recreational and a variety of prescribed anti-depressants) but they just haven't gone away. I'd say it's been about 10 years... in the more recent years, 5 or so... I have started screaming myself awake. At first it was like once a year, then it became every few months, and now it's been like one or two every month.
It's really irritating. I don't feel like I've slept well, it freaks out my poor husband...

Any thoughts? Spells or otherwise?
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:20 PM   #2  

Default Dreams are your friend

Greetings:

I suggest that you begin to regard your dreams as sources of insight to be respected. You could start by writing down your dreams in a journal. And there are many resources to help you. Amazon.com carries The Jungian-Senoi Dreamwork Manual, as well as the books of Ann Faraday and Patricia Garfield.

I hope you say yes to this particular journey. I have been involved with Carl Jung, Joseph Campbell, and other depth psychologists and mythology for decades. I know very well how enriching dreamwork can be.
cathrynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:34 PM   #3  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

Are there any recurring themes in your dreams/nightmares? Do you remember them? Most importantly, can you relate anything in your dreams to your waking life? Cathryn is so right about keeping a dream journal and maybe delving into some Jungian archetypes although you're probably the best judge of the symbolism.

Our dreams are our subconscience's way of sending us messages and helping us work things out. Sounds like you have a big message waiting to be received, processed and understood.
Mummy_Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:24 PM   #4  
Pending Email Confirmation

Yeah.. I wish I knew what it was... maybe it's... don't do drugs when you're a teenager. *LOL*

I can't make any connection to my dreams with my real life or with each other... I think the journal is a good idea... I almost always remember my dreams, but sometimes have a hard time articulating them. The ones that cause me to wake up screaming are usually random too... the other night the dream was me getting angry and nobody would listen to me, so I just screamed... another one of these was one of those - coming to get me jump out from behind a door kind of dreams... a lot of my dreams are vivid and while I do feel they kind of interfere with my feeling of rest, they are interesting and sometimes I wake up thinking - hm, that would make a good book or movie...

Time for some thinking to see if there maybe is a bigger connection that I just haven't made yet. Thanks!
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote